Holiday in West Canada- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

New question here. Holiday in West Canada

Hi Guys! I live in Austria and will spend 3 weeks in BC next summer for the first time! Can you give me some tips which trails I have to drive?I prefer trails in green and (easy) black. At home I ride Endurotrails and All Mountaintrails in the Austrian and Swiss Alps as well as in Finale Ligure (Italy) and in South Tyrol! However, I like it when it's rather gentle trails - nothing dangerous (I have problems when the trails are wet - )My vacation schedule looks like I'm first on Vancouver Island for a week, then about 3 days on the Sunshine Coast and then 4 full days for Whistler or Pamperton. Which area would be recommended on the Sunshine Coast? Is it Powell River or rather Sechelt?Can it be too early for many top trails in June? What about the "lord of the squirrels"?Thank you very much for your help !!!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I don't have recommendations for the Sunshine coast. I just moved to BC myself, and though I toured around all summer and have been here riding on a couple previous occasions, have yet to be there. I spent a week on Vancouver island, and while I didn't ride everything, I really recommend Maple Mountain near Duncan. Lots of good riding right from town in Cumberland with a good mix of level. Campbell River also has lots of good riding that is intermediate.

In general, the riding in BC is difficult compared to most other places, and along the coast it can definitely be wet at times. So definitely be cautious. The trails are rated green (beginner - very few in BC for proper mountain biking), blue which is intermediate, black which is advanced, double black is expert. In general, blue in BC is like black in most other places.

Lord of the Squirrels will not be open in June, no alpine riding will be. You'll be limited to rides probably under 1500-1700m.

You can't go wrong with riding in Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton. The riding is great, but in general, pretty advanced, but you can find some good intermediate terrain and work up as you feel comfortable.
    Straight outta Rossland

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You will have fun:

All the areas have a different feel.
    The island has well used old school trails. The trails are narrow, the trees are tight and there are roots and rocks everywhere. But the trails get a lot of use and trails that get use usually aren't as slippery. Places to ride: Cumberland, Duncan, and Nanimo/parksville have the biggest and easiest to navigate trail systems. FYI cumberland has really good riding.

Sunshine coast has a lot of trails, really a lot of trails. But they don't get the same traffic volume, which is great but it means the trails can be really slick in the wet.

Whistler corridor: Massive trail net-works. You could spend a month in Squamish or Whistler or Pemberton and just scratch the surface. Each area has a different feel. My favorite is pemberton, they have wicked climbing trails (as in good grades but technically interesting) and aggressive downhills. Squamish is a hoot on light trail bike. The trails are great but you cover a lot of ground and 60km on a Enduro bike is a bit of an ask. Whistler has great riding, but the climbing absolutely sucks. I am a lot fitter then the average bear and riding in whistler has me saying "mother of lord" a lot.

But if you really want to have fun, come to the interior.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thank you for your recommendations and advices! I think I have to come to BC a second time for the alpine trails. :-)

mtbr member
    Sechelt and the surrounding towns would be the first place to go on the sunshine coast. That is a lot of ferry rides for your trip though, I would consider less places and more time in the places you do go to (Squamish!)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Too much riding, not enough time. Yup, on the Island I strongly recommend Mount Tzhouhalem in Duncan, Hammerfest in Parksville, and my home trails in Cumberland.

Mt Tzhouhalem has Double D, which is a must do, and a maze of other trails. In Parksville, I love in order Locomotion, Jughead, and Down Under. Here in Cumberland, so many. PM me and I can make more personalized picks.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thx!!!