Guided Bike Tours & Rides in Phoenix, AZ area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Guided Bike Tours & Rides in Phoenix, AZ area?

The wife and I are looking at a possible vacation around the Phoenix area in late March / early April this year. Coming from Kansas City area and would like to get some Arizona riding in while we're there. I'm probably an intermediate level rider at best, while my wife is more beginner level.

Considering taking a guided ride/tour as we're completely unfamiliar with the area and trails. So I'm hoping to get recommendations and suggestions for places to contact and other things to consider when checking them out, as we've never used a bike guide service before.

If we don't end up hiring a guide service, would still be interested in MTB rental options and trail recommendations as well. Not sure exactly where we're staying yet. Would love to get up to the Sedona area as well on this trip, so there's the possibility we may spend a day there as well.

mtbr member
    Lots of guide options up in Sedona.... I can personally recommend the guys at Hermosa Tours (they're based in the Over the Edge shop). Can't help with the PHX area, however.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So we're considering being in/around Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott and Phoenix that first week of April. Hoping the weather is typically cooperative for trail riding that time of year. I'm guessing temps wouldn't be the main issue, but precipitation???

Thinking about Watson Lake near Prescott (photos look pretty, not sure about quality of trails around there). Not opposed to just renting bikes and riding on our own, but figured a guided ride might not be a bad idea either.

mtbr member
    Any locals from the PHX area that can recommend some trails? Iím a high blue / low black rider from NC that will be bringing my bike out for a business meeting in mid March. I will have about a day and a half to play before my meetings start and am planning for two technically challenging rides of about 10 - 15 miles orientated towards DH rather than climbing. That having been said Iíll be 1,000 miles from home with out of network health care coverage and have no interest in touring the local hospitals. Iíve been looking at Trail Forks and other sites and am considering a ride at Browns Ranch incorporating the Diablo trails and a second at the Hawes trail system incorporating Saguaro and Twisted Sister trails. Looking to get a good feel for what the area has to offer and be challenged without getting hurt. Any opinions on the two rides Iím considering? If you have another suggestion Iíd appreciate hearing about that as well.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So far I've got contact / messages into the following Arizona companies for guided ride/tour information:
    ē Soulride (Prescott area)
    ē 360 Adventures (Sedona)
    ē Hermosa Tours (Sedona)
    ē Arizona Outback Adventures (Phoenix/Scottsdale)

Anyone with recommendations or experience with any of these places? Or any other companies to add to the list to contact?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Kingsting View Post
    Any locals from the PHX area that can recommend some trails? Iím a high blue / low black rider from NC that will be bringing my bike out for a business meeting in mid March. I will have about a day and a half to play before my meetings start and am planning for two technically challenging rides of about 10 - 15 miles orientated towards DH rather than climbing. That having been said Iíll be 1,000 miles from home with out of network health care coverage and have no interest in touring the local hospitals. Iíve been looking at Trail Forks and other sites and am considering a ride at Browns Ranch incorporating the Diablo trails and a second at the Hawes trail system incorporating Saguaro and Twisted Sister trails. Looking to get a good feel for what the area has to offer and be challenged without getting hurt. Any opinions on the two rides Iím considering? If you have another suggestion Iíd appreciate hearing about that as well.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

Brownís is beautiful for the scenery but as XC as you can get. I ride it with my wife as itís super beginner friendly. Diablo is geared towards tech rolls and drops and a ton of fun, but not really downhill or even that challenging. Iíve only done one day at Hawes but liked it a lot. But from what you describe you may want to look at South Mountain and National Trail specifically, especially if you can set up a shuttle run. Phoenix Mountain Preserve and T100 would also be worth your while.

mtbr member
    HawkGX....contact Transition Senior here on the board. He normally posts on the AZ board. He's a 74 year old Canadian that snowbirds in Apache Junction east of PHX several months a year. He took us to Gold Canyon last week and was awesome. Super nice guy and knows the area like the back of his hand. Mostly lower blue stuff with black sections sprinkled in and beautiful scenery. I know he also knows the Hawes area very well.

Switchblade (also on the AZ board) will definitely show you around Sedona and save you a few hundred bucks. He knows areas not even on TF *but* he likes to stop and chat with folks so be prepared for that.

NC KingSting....South Mountain and National is what you're after. Go up Mormon to the top of National and then come all the way back down National. It should be about 12'ish miles. Do not go on a weekend as there will be 12 billion hikers. Geronimo is a blast as well but you'll need a shuttle to do it properly. Hawes is the other place I'd go. Brown's has very little challenge and Diablo is just a very small sliver available out there.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    OP here... the wife and I are set up for rental bikes in early April. Any tips from locals for what to wear and what to carry with us on the bikes if we're riding out in Brown's Ranch, Hawes and South Mountain? Just trying to make sure we're well prepared for a half day on the trails.

suvlako
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    OP here... the wife and I are set up for rental bikes in early April. Any tips from locals for what to wear and what to carry with us on the bikes if we're riding out in Brown's Ranch, Hawes and South Mountain? Just trying to make sure we're well prepared for a half day on the trails.
    If you get some time, Tucson has arguably the best trails in Az. A little biased I know but I have good reason to believe this. Check out Homegrownmtb.com for any beta and reviews on their services(rentals, guiding, shuttles). Then go check the stories being published about Tucson. Worth the drive.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/local-...lete-guide-to- https://reviews.mtbr.com/video-local...tucson-az.html