Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)

I'm driving to Vancouver BC in late February for a non-bike related family trip. I'm just wondering if I should bring my bike...I'd likely only get to ride once or maybe twice and I'd need to bring all my winter riding gear and might put a hinder on flexibility because I won't leave my bike in the car for more than a few moments (grew up in LA). I like all-mountain gnar chunk by California standards but I'm no pro and have a bit of an irrational fear of riding skinnys...not sure what trails would be ridable in Feb and how far of a drive they would be from downtown Vancouver. If you have the knowledge I'd love some advice. If there's a badass trail that would be fantastic in winter I need to know...might not be up that way again for a good while.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Really snowy in Vancouver (both vancouvers actually) at present. Feb is still well in the future. Personally, I would bring it anyway and see what happens.

mtbr member
    You're rolling the dice ask closer to your trip. Currently lots of snow on Vancouver trails. But things could change and there's some great riding 20 minute drive from downtown

ups and downs
    The snow is vanishing quickly with the atmospheric river we're getting hit with right now, but it's likely only going to be the lower trails (under 500-600m elevation) that are likely going to be clear, and they will almost certainly going to be very wet so make sure your gummiest tires are on the bike. Lower Mt. Seymour and Fromme trails will be your best bet for North Vancouver.

Blue trails here are like black diamond trails elsewhere, blue just means the woodwork is less than a foot off the ground and there will be a bypass for more elevated features, but the blue trails can still have a lot of wet roots and rocks and medium width wood bridges with no bypass. And the wood can be slicker than snake snot. This is a segment of one of the blue trails (Sticks & Stones) that is often a part of the high school XC race series.

February and November are often our wettest months and this year has been much wetter than usual so it is likely that the trend will continue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)-2014_1111new0093.jpg  

Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)-2014_1111new0097.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Been for a couple rides in the last week, things are looking good for your trip if this keeps up

ups and downs
    We've had another good dump of snow since yesterday morning and more falling for the next few days. We'll have to do this melt/thaw thing all over again. Mt.Seymour was clearing on the lower trails and more slowly on the higher Fromme trails, so that will likely start over. At least the glaciers on the trails had been melting before the snow came back again.

ups and downs
    Well for the moment snow and ice dominates, even on the trail surfaces out in the sun, but we have a pineapple express arriving in the next 24 hours that should get rid of a lot of snow. That also means a colossal amount of rain over the next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)-dscf8861.jpg  

Going to Vancouver BC in late Febuary...should I bring my bike (I'd get in 1-2 rides)-nv-feb-2017-weather.jpg