Fruita in Early February?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Fruita in Early February?

Greetings from the UK from a new member.

We'll be flying in & out of Grand Junction for a ski trip at the end of January 2018 - so thought we'd like to add 2 or 3 days MTB at Fruita (first time there) at the end of the trip (say 3-5 Feb). That was until I rang a local bike shop about hiring bikes....

I was more than a bit surprised to hear that the trails may not even be open then "as they don't always hold up very well in winter."

Any thoughts anyone? What are our chances? Should we hope for the best - or just forget it & just do more skiing?

Could Moab (where we have already been) be a better bet? Or is there anywhere else in the area for at least a day's decent riding?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by mountainaddict; 09-19-2017 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correction

mtbr member
    Could be a bit "nippley". Call around to places like Poison Spider in Moab and talk to them. I'd guess Moab would hold up better than Fruita.

Moab February weather:
    https://weatherspark.com/m/3012/2/Av...-United-States

This in January:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnClsbOwTw

I don't know if you've skied the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons near Salt Lake City before, but in a good year, you're not likely to hang up the skis for a trip to Moab!

Edit: oops, never mind, just saw the in and out of Grand Junction part! The closest certain riding would be St George/Hurricane at a little over 5 hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks MSUA! For the skiing part of the trip, we've booked to stay at Snowmass as Aspen has been on our bucket list for years; & we've managed to find some budget (well budget for that area...) accommodation.

Cheers for the tip re. guaranteed biking. 5hrs might be further than we'd like to drive for biking though - if snow conditions are good we'll probably just do more skiing. Not a bad problem really I suppose. However, if there is any biking available at Fruita, we wouldn't mind the cold as we bike all year round in the UK - & it can get a bit nippy (below freezing) in winter.

Yes, we've skied in Utah. We did a trip that included Park City, Canyons, Alta & Snowbird a few years back - & managed to pick a sunny, cloudless, mild week in January with absolutely no powder whatsoever. Managed to enjoy ourselves (as we always do on ski trips), but disappointing nevertheless. Of course it dumped the day after we came home...

That video is excellent - snow or no snow, the trails look positively dry versus the mud-slogging of a UK winter...& often summer

Is the video in Moab? (Where we visited in 2001 - & really enjoyed.)
    Last edited by mountainaddict; 09-20-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: add more info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainaddict View Post
    Thanks MSUA! For the skiing part of the trip, we've booked to stay at Snowmass as Aspen has been on our bucket list for years; & we've managed to find some budget (well budget for that area...) accommodation.

Cheers for the tip re. guaranteed biking. 5hrs might be further than we'd like to drive for biking though - if snow conditions are good we'll probably just do more skiing. Not a bad problem really I suppose. However, if there is any biking available at Fruita, we wouldn't mind the cold as we bike all year round in the UK - & it can get a bit nippy (below freezing) in winter.

Yes, we've skied in Utah. We did a trip that included Park City, Canyons, Alta & Snowbird a few years back - & managed to pick a sunny, cloudless, mild week in January with absolutely no powder whatsoever. Managed to enjoy ourselves (as we always do on ski trips), but disappointing nevertheless. Of course it dumped the day after we came home...

That video is excellent - snow or no snow, the trails look positively dry versus the mud-slogging of a UK winter...& often summer

Is the video in Moab? (Where we visited in 2001 - & really enjoyed.)
    Aspen should be great, as it usually is! The Great Basin is a weather source and usually developes a high pressure in early to mid January. It causes a 3 week or so "drought", as it pushes the jet stream north, then it turns on again. Last year it was later than usual. You can almost always head north to Grand Targhee if that happens, as it usually sits north of the jet stream when the high developes....First World problems, huh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been to Fruita in Feb and had it be great. But it's going to be VERY hit or miss. If it's bad, just drive a bit more to Moab. It's almost always a bit warmer there that time of year than the Grand Valley.

mtbr member
    I hope the snow, what little of it there was, was not too bad for you.