First Week of April, Mid Atlantic/NE... Where to go? (NOVA, PA, NY, NJ, E.OH)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

First Week of April, Mid Atlantic/NE... Where to go? (NOVA, PA, NY, NJ, E.OH)?

So I'm solo for that first week of April, just after the Jack Frost BMX race in Egg Harbor, NJ, and can travel by car from there. I was thinking of checking out the areas around State College, PA and Harrisburg, as friends have had a lot of good to say about it, but I'm wondering if it won't be a total mudfest... We've had a decent winter b/c of the cold and frozen trails (once they are packed) but I'm afraid of what's here the next month or so in CT.

...any suggestions for places to ride from NOVA to NJ that week?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I live just north of Baltimore and there is lots of riding around here. Not sure what kind of trails you are looking for, but Patapsco has miles and miles of single track....it can be technical, but is probably the best trails in the Mid-Atlantic. Right outside of Newark, Delaware is White Clay Creek which is a blast to ride. Between Baltimore and DC you have Fairland, Schaeffer Farms and others. In Upper Marlboro you have the very flowy trails at Rosaryville. Not sure about Virginia, but I hear really good things about Fountainhead

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    and yes, expect mud

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcitron View Post
    and yes, expect mud
    Oh, that I'm expecting...just not wanting to go somewhere that would be closed due to mud problems.

I'd love a mix of stuff: I like riding everything from freeride-type drops and rollers and rock gardens to long, flowy singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mvwmvw View Post
    Oh, that I'm expecting...just not wanting to go somewhere that would be closed due to mud problems.
    Then don't count on actually riding any of the places dcitron mentioned this time of year. All might be either closed or should be avoided out of respect for those that build/maintain them. Basically anywhere around here, if you're expecting mud, you shouldn't be there. Those trails might be open/ok to ride if we've had a dry spell, but equally likely they aren't. Patapsco in particular is really sensitive to water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    not to be argumentative, but use your common sense. If it rain a few days before then it is going to be wet. Spring is a wet time of year in the Mid Atlantic and you should act accordingly. Depending how much it rained, two days is usually enough time after a rain to wait on these trails

You are going to be here anyway. Bring the bike and hope for dry weather

I ride all Spring and am very respectful of the trail builders

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know that a lot of the places will be closed, depending on the weather of the next few weeks. I've been riding for over 20 years (man, my legs are tired!) and I'm not one to destroy trails for a crappy, muddy ride. Just trying to get an idea of a direction. No harm intended, and thanks to everyone who is helping with ideas. I haven't spent much time in Jersey or Penn besides Waywayanda area.

playin hooky
    Quote Originally Posted by mvwmvw View Post
    So I'm solo for that first week of April, just after the Jack Frost BMX race in Egg Harbor, NJ, and can travel by car from there. I was thinking of checking out the areas around State College, PA and Harrisburg, as friends have had a lot of good to say about it, but I'm wondering if it won't be a total mudfest... We've had a decent winter b/c of the cold and frozen trails (once they are packed) but I'm afraid of what's here the next month or so in CT.

...any suggestions for places to ride from NOVA to NJ that week?
    Just did some riding in the north part of Rothrock (near State College PA). Some trails we avoided for wet - you can pick these out on the map available at local bike shops - follow creek or marsh. High-ground trails were dry. We camped at Penn-Roosevelt, practically had it to ourselves, no res needed. Tussey Mountain trail is one not to miss.