Fernie BC mountian bike trip sept 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Fernie BC mountian bike trip sept 2018

Hello everybody, how are you all doing?

i am new to this forum so welcome and thanks for having me around.

I am planning a trip to Fernie BC for a mountian bike trip. I live in the prairies of Saskatchewan and do lots of biking in saskatoon by the river where they have some pretty great trials.

Anyways I am going to fernie with my Giant Revel 2 and was wondering how much trouble I will have with the bike? I can do all the trails and off-roading well enough here and havenít had any issues with my bike at all.

I went to a local bike store in the closest city to me to get a tune up done as I wanted it to be in tip top shape for my trip. When I told them I was getting it tuned up for the mountains they pretty much laughed at me and said I needed a way better bike than that and when i came to pick it up they said everything was good on it and see me in a few weeks with a few casts on.

Now i was all pumped on going on my trip but now they have me worried. Will my bike be stable enough to handle the trails without falling apart. I plan on riding intermediate and beginner trials. Nothing too hardcore like the dirt diggler.

Should I risk using my bike or should I look into renting something that Iím not used to how it handles? Like Iíve said I havenít had any issues on any of the trails here in Saskatchewan.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to many more conversations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If your revel 2 has disc brakes you should be ok for riding some of the mellow trails like lazy lizard, montane, and the stuff in ridgemont.

You could always rent something at gear hub if you want to try a more capable bike
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks Rocky Mtn, I ended up borrowing a bike from my buddy and I think it was the wise choice lol. I went with a guide and we went down Swine Flu and had an absolute blast. Then went over to ridgemont and did some the of the trails over their and finished on the Space Unicorn.

Now I am looking at upgrading my bike for next season as I am going to be making this a yearly trip I think. Now my delema is do I get a full suspension or a better hard tail with all the disc brakes and upgraded components. I can see the full suspension for in the mountains but the trails around here are not nearly as crazy. So many options lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RB23 View Post
    Thanks Rocky Mtn, I ended up borrowing a bike from my buddy and I think it was the wise choice lol. I went with a guide and we went down Swine Flu and had an absolute blast. Then went over to ridgemont and did some the of the trails over their and finished on the Space Unicorn.

Now I am looking at upgrading my bike for next season as I am going to be making this a yearly trip I think. Now my delema is do I get a full suspension or a better hard tail with all the disc brakes and upgraded components. I can see the full suspension for in the mountains but the trails around here are not nearly as crazy. So many options lol.
    You can use a full suspension around where you live but keep it semi locked out. Only downside is a bit more weight.

Now if you are planning on making it a yearly trip only just rent for the few days you are there and ride that Giant you have all around Sask.