Family trip to Arkansas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New question here. Family trip to Arkansas

I am trying to plan a trip for my family over spring break and I think Arkansas is the winner. I am looking for somewhere my family will be able to park our camper and still be close so several hiking and mountain biking trails. It will probably just be myself and my nephew who go mountain biking. I am 18 years old and he is 10 years old and neither of us have any experience mountain biking but I hope to gain some experience before the trip. I would like to find a place with several beginner to intermediate level trails that are all fairly close together and preferably near a state or national park. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac5198 View Post
    I am trying to plan a trip for my family over spring break and I think Arkansas is the winner. I am looking for somewhere my family will be able to park our camper and still be close so several hiking and mountain biking trails. It will probably just be myself and my nephew who go mountain biking. I am 18 years old and he is 10 years old and neither of us have any experience mountain biking but I hope to gain some experience before the trip. I would like to find a place with several beginner to intermediate level trails that are all fairly close together and preferably near a state or national park. Any suggestions?
    Do you prefer natural singletrack or "flow" tracks with man made berms and other features?

Do you have an idea of how far you can ride? Some trails have several places that allow you to cut the ride short, while others may force you to ride lots of miles to complete a loop.

Are you looking for trails close to an urban area or would you prefer something out of town with more scenery?

How far are you willing to drive between trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Do you prefer natural singletrack or "flow" tracks with man made berms and other features?

Do you have an idea of how far you can ride? Some trails have several places that allow you to cut the ride short, while others may force you to ride lots of miles to complete a loop.

Are you looking for trails close to an urban area or would you prefer something out of town with more scenery?

How far are you willing to drive between trails?
    I am new to mountain biking and really don't have a preference on the trail being natural or man-made.

Probably keep the distance riding down to a few miles tops because my nephew is only 10 and will be riding with me.

I would prefer trail that are more scenic.

Probably around a 30-40 minute drive between trails.

mtbr member
    Check out Springhill Park in Barling. It has a good beginner friendly trail and has places for your camper. Ben Geren is just a few minutes down the road and is also beginner friendly. Lee Creek is close by and has some interesting sights, but you'll probably want to hike this one rather than bike. I normally wouldn't recommend these as the top picks for someone from out of state, but with your level of experience you may have difficulty with some of the trails in NWA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The Blowing Springs campground in Bella Vista would put you at the trailhead of the Blowing Springs system and a short bike ride from The Back 40 and Slaughter Pen systems. All of which can be ridden by riders of all levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk