Exploring New Areas With Ease- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Exploring New Areas With Ease

Hi Mtbr!

I am an avid mountain biker who loves to travel and ride new destinations. The most frustrating part about those adventures however is ending up on an awful trail or riding something sweet the wrong way.

That's why I am working to solve that problem by creating a mobile phone app that delivers a dozen or so of a destinations best rides with turn-by-turn navigation.

I am currently working on completing the iPhone app and would like to launch it on Android phones as well but need to see some support and raise the funds to do it.

If you are interested in riding the best trails the right way, please check out my Kickstarter for more information!

I need to reach my goal before March 27th so please don't wait!

Thank you in advance!
    - Trevor Martin
    Founder//Guide Pro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    how is this any different than MTBProject? They seem like they have almost everything mapped for all of the major destinations for mountain biking plus a free android/iphone app. Found plenty of great rides on that app, all mapped by locals who ride the trails regularly in the area.

Do you have to pay for destinations when the app comes out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks BDKeg,

Our goal is to make finding the great local rides as easy as opening a brochure - and as easy to navigate as possible. While similar to MTB Project, our focus is not creating and maintaining a vastly large database of thousands of trail segments. It's making use of these large trail repositories and serving our users the essential details for great rides.

We are working to make the app and it's content as close to free as possible. Until we gain a little more traction we will likely be asking for $2-$5 for each destination. Each destination would include a dozen or more options as well as a full GPS map of all trails in that area.

-T

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidePro View Post
    Thanks BDKeg,

Our goal is to make finding the great local rides as easy as opening a brochure - and as easy to navigate as possible. While similar to MTB Project, our focus is not creating and maintaining a vastly large database of thousands of trail segments. It's making use of these large trail repositories and serving our users the essential details for great rides.

We are working to make the app and it's content as close to free as possible. Until we gain a little more traction we will likely be asking for $2-$5 for each destination. Each destination would include a dozen or more options as well as a full GPS map of all trails in that area.

-T
    So where are you going to get the data? Scrape it from other websites?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    No,

In order to provide the most consistent quality, we take data from several available sources and often re-draw routes to their most accurate alignment.

It's a slow and painful process and we are working on collaborating with other sources.

-T

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I see that you're an avid mountain biker. I myself am a Shimano mountain biker.

since 4/10/2009
    No,

In order to provide the most consistent quality, we take data from several available sources and often re-draw routes to their most accurate alignment.

It's a slow and painful process and we are working on collaborating with other sources.

-T
    That didn't answer my question.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While similar to MTB Project, our focus is not creating and maintaining a vastly large database of thousands of trail segments. It's making use of these large trail repositories and serving our users the essential details for great rides.

-T
    have you tried MTBProject? They have plenty of "featured rides" which essentially puts together groups of trails, ect to create a whole ride, usually these are the "best" rides in a certain area. Almost 41k miles of trails mapped with descriptions, tracks, difficulty and photos. Not sure how you get more accurate with GPS generated tracks. Seems like they are the powerhouse with IMBA backing.

I think the only thing lacking in all of these trail apps that people/companies are creating is the lack of being able to chart your own ride, then have that implemented into a mobile app for GPS, but it looks like trailforks is starting to do that with their route planner beta.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, a few things I see problems with:

1. data sourcing. Unless you're licensing data from someone (who, pray tell, would that be?), I don't see how you're going to suddenly have a full trails database without scraping/stealing data from an existing site. That's going to piss some people off, and it's shady enough that I sure as hell don't want anything to do with it.

2. What does it do that existing solutions don't? MTBProject offers featured rides that do exactly what you're describing. Not to mention, any GPS will take a preloaded ride someone else has done, and direct you to follow it. A few tracking apps have similar functionality. We need another GPS phone app like we need a hole in the head. Users already have trouble choosing which app to use. All of the "which iphone/android/windows phone app" threads over in the GPS section should be proof enough of that.

3. Plus, the vast majority of the other options are already free. To convince people to part with their free apps, you're going to have to convince them that you offer a premium functionality that the free apps DON'T offer. I don't see it.

I've seen some cool stuff on kickstarter...but it's starting to irritate me.