Euro trip for Tall MTBer--options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Euro trip for Tall MTBer--options?

Hi All

Like a few others here, I will find myself in Switzerland, Germany and Northern Italy (possibly Austria as well).

I think I will have a few days to MTB once my wife flies off to the UK for a conference--I'll be leaving Zurich then (talking early September), then pointing the car towards Munich area to visit the in-laws . . . but not before I try to get 2 or so days MTBing.

So

1. Is it possible to rent a MTB in the EU for a TALL PERSON like myself (yeah 6'7"--think XXL Tallboy or a Aluminum Fuel EX XXL)? Otherwise . . . not sure what to do. Don't really want to buy one but . . . I could always fork out for something if there was something in my size there!

2. Where to go? Looking for mountainous XC if that makes sense. I am NOT a Downhill/Enduro rider. Also prefer to ride without having to climb 30km in one climb. Up and down is fine Liechtenstein, Austria, Northern Italy, Germany and Switzerland are all options, but heading East from Zurich.

Appreciate any tips!

Have included a little map of area of interest

Euro trip for Tall MTBer--options?-2018-06-13_18-45-49.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All the places you mentioned, Liechstenstein, Austria, Northern Italy, Germany, Switzerland are chock full of great trails. You could stumble into any sizable mountain town and find mountain bike rentals and trails. Garmisch-Partenkirchen (just 50 miles or so southwest of Munich) would be high on my list of choices. But you can't go wrong in the mountains outside of Zurich, Innsbruck, Lucerne, or in the Black Forest north northeast of Zurich. Also, the mountains around the north end of Lake Garda in northwest Italy are phenomenal and the weather is always nice there!
    Slow Old Guy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morton.tj View Post
    All the places you mentioned, Liechstenstein, Austria, Northern Italy, Germany, Switzerland are chock full of great trails. You could stumble into any sizable mountain town and find mountain bike rentals and trails. Garmisch-Partenkirchen (just 50 miles or so southwest of Munich) would be high on my list of choices. But you can't go wrong in the mountains outside of Zurich, Innsbruck, Lucerne, or in the Black Forest north northeast of Zurich. Also, the mountains around the north end of Lake Garda in northwest Italy are phenomenal and the weather is always nice there!
    Actually I am over here right now. The biggest issue was booking a bike that would fit. I managed to already swing one day at Verbier on a Scott 750 in XL, and I am doing six days in Livigno with a similar bike (maybe the model down). Livigno is close to St Moritz so I might be able to drive the bike there as well.

I had no luck at Lago di Garda re: bike sizes.

Weather is pretty good over here right now!