Driving from Moscow Idaho to Denver & back in late July, where should I stop to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Idea! Driving from Moscow Idaho to Denver & back in late July, where should I stop to ride?

Hi everyone, keep in mind I have 12 days off from work. Plan to spend 4 days getting there, 4 days in Denver, & the other 4 getting back. I'm going from Moscow ID to Denver CO & back in late July. On the way down I plan on going down through Boise & Salt Lake City & then over to Denver. On my way back i'll be going the other way around through WY(Yellow Stone), Montana & then into NW ID. I'm looking for the best riding and I know Moab & the Colorado trail are some of the best riding so I'll spend a day in Moab & one of the days i'm in Denver on the Colorado trail. I'm sure i'll get some people asking so I ride a Scott Scale hardtail with 2.4 continental tires that are grippy, I'm from Ohio and rode around Ohio & WV so i'm used to rock gardens & roots galore that are as big as a baseball bat. I'm hoping to upgrade to a nice f.s. before my trip but I'd like to get a new 2018 model or a new 2017 model thats on clearance when the 18's come out. I have 2 bikes in mind: Santa Cruz Hightower & Kona process 111(I get a deal on Kona's but i'd like a carbon frame & Santa Cruz does lifetime warranty on carbon's where Kona doesn't insure carbons at all as of now, so even if they did come out with a carbon process model i wouldn't have a warranty). I've been riding trails for 4years and racing cross for a year in the collegiate scene.

mtbr member
    Moab in July... NO. I guess if you really want to ride there, go ahead... but chances are it'll be miserably hot. I would plan another trip to Moab in the future, and spend 4-5 days in town riding just those trails (in the spring or fall, preferably).

Why are you spending 4 days in Denver? If it's to ride, I'd recommend spending your time in the CO mountains instead. Spend time in Crested Butte, Breckenridge, Aspen, etc. Denver is nice and all, but the trails in the mountains are SO much better. And that time of year, they're absolutely perfect. And less crowded. I'd be more than happy to give you a bucket list of trails to ride that will blow your mind.

I'd also spend a day or two around Jackson, WY... the riding there is incredible. You could easily fill up your time just riding the stuff off Teton Pass, not to mention the other stuff around town.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you for the information. I'm spending a few days in Denver because i'm going to visit family. If I didn't have plans to visit family that week i'd wait till friends could go instead of going alone & solo riding. Anyways, yeah I didn't know what Moab would be like in the summer, figured it was similar to Florida(lived there for a few years). Yeah if you have some trail recommendations that would be great.

mtbr member
    If you're riding in Denver, then I'd hit Buffalo Creek, White Ranch (in Golden) and Hall Ranch (just north of Boulder).

Are you coming across on I-80 or I-70 from Park City? I-70 is a little longer, but there's SO much more riding along that route if you wanted to stop for a day or two.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Park City. Much cooler than Moab at that time of year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm going down to I-70 and then over. It's worth taking that longer route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    In addition to mtbproject.com, this website has good info on Utah trails.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/idx-main.htm

There are a number of great rides along the Wasatch Front and all of them are fairly close to I-15. Check out the "must ride" section in the website above. If it were me, I'd pick a few that look interesting and decide which one to ride based on travel schedule and how I feel that day. There are some big climbs along the Wasatch.

I think your idea of traveling I-70 is a good one. If you catch a ride in Ogden/SLC, you can drive to Fruita in the PM and ride there the next morning before it gets hot. It gets warm early, so make sure to set an alarm. Check out the trails near Eagle if your scheduling doesn't permit cool morning rides in Fruita. Close to the interstate and higher elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    If you head north out of Denver on 25 make sure to stop at Curt Gowdy State Park and ride the many trails there. It's located between Cheyenne and Laramie in Wyoming. There is also Glendo State Park which is farther up 25. I hear the trails there are excellent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    OP if you are coming back on 90 through MT the trails around Butte are great and super close to the interstate.

mtbr member
    McCall ID maybe, lots of riding
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BicyclistBob89 View Post
    Hi everyone, keep in mind I have 12 days off from work. Plan to spend 4 days getting there, 4 days in Denver, & the other 4 getting back. I'm going from Moscow ID to Denver CO & back in late July. On the way down I plan on going down through Boise & Salt Lake City & then over to Denver. On my way back i'll be going the other way around through WY(Yellow Stone), Montana & then into NW ID. I'm looking for the best riding and I know Moab & the Colorado trail are some of the best riding so I'll spend a day in Moab & one of the days i'm in Denver on the Colorado trail. I'm sure i'll get some people asking so I ride a Scott Scale hardtail with 2.4 continental tires that are grippy, I'm from Ohio and rode around Ohio & WV so i'm used to rock gardens & roots galore that are as big as a baseball bat. I'm hoping to upgrade to a nice f.s. before my trip but I'd like to get a new 2018 model or a new 2017 model thats on clearance when the 18's come out. I have 2 bikes in mind: Santa Cruz Hightower & Kona process 111(I get a deal on Kona's but i'd like a carbon frame & Santa Cruz does lifetime warranty on carbon's where Kona doesn't insure carbons at all as of now, so even if they did come out with a carbon process model i wouldn't have a warranty). I've been riding trails for 4years and racing cross for a year in the collegiate scene.
    Swing through McCall Idaho and ride the Loon Lake trail -- you'll want to include the section along the Secesh river. Then go through Stanley Idaho and hit the Fisher Creek-Williams creek trail and Elk Mountain trail if you have a little extra time.

Sun Valley Greenhorn Gulch to Mahoney Creek is a pretty good trail, too.

None of these trails are very technical so any bike will work.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Fruita has amizing trails and its on the way and not too far from Moab.