Denver-Seattle-Denver Road Trip. Help me plan?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Denver-Seattle-Denver Road Trip. Help me plan?

Greetings, salutations, and felicitations!

My wife just informed me that we're going to be doing an Expedition Cruise to Alaska this May (I got one vote, but she got two. Interesting thing, marriage).

In order to make it work, I'm going to have us fly out of Seattle (so we can crash at the 'rents). To do so, we're going to Road Trip from Denver to Seattle in mid-May and return from Seattle to Denver at the beginning of June.

So, both my wife and I ride a fair bit (I'm on a Niner Rip Nine RDO and she's getting a Pivot Mach 4 Carbon built up at the moment.)

Looking for suggestions on epic "worth spending a day" rides between Denver and Seattle. I'm trying to talk her into stopping by Moab to do Porcupine, but she's leery of me hucking down that particular run--- it's my favorite ride of all time, but I can't quite seem to make it down without leaving a blood donation to the Mountain Gods. Maybe not the best plan before a zillion dollar vacation.

So-- suggestions?

MUCH thanks!

R.
    Last edited by flybigjet; 02-27-2015 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This would be my path

Grand Junction/Fruita
    Moab
    Park city
    Boise area/McCaul/Ketchum
    Bend
    Hood River

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike View Post
    This would be my path

Grand Junction/Fruita
    Moab
    Park city
    Boise area/McCaul/Ketchum
    Bend
    Hood River
    from Boise, it would be pretty hard to do Ketchum AND McCall without about 8 hours of backtracking.

My idea is, from Boise, hit McCall, then up to Spokane area for Mt Spokane and Kettle Crest, add in Silver if you like lift serve OR

Boise - Ketchum, then Salmon area, up to Missoula, then west hit up Silver, Mt. Spokane, Kettle Crest and head to Seattle proper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks! Will research.

Any particular rides? I'll probably do Moab on the way back-- wife seems to think I'm going to break something right before the cruise if I ride Porcupine, and she's not budging on that one!

R.

Don't worry, be happy!
    There are a bunch of stickies in the Idaho forum about Ketchum/Sun Valley and McCall.
    For epics, you probably want to look at some of the White Clouds loops. Between elevation, mileaage and scenery, they look pretty darn epic.

McCall has the IMBA Epic Loon Lake trail. It's not difficult and it's lots of fun. There aren't many alpine trails out there where you can have lunch at a sandy beach at a lake in the backcountry.

Salmon area and Missoula I see mentioned a lot on the boards but I do not have any experience there.

If you like lift serve, Silver Mountain in Idaho has been developing for about 6 years and has an excellent reputation.

Kettle Crest in NE Washington would be another "must-do" area.
    https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/kettle-crest You might even time it for the annual Kettle Fest sponsored by Evergreen Mountain Bike alliance: four days of riding and one day of trail work. It's beautiful alpine riding, some above timber line, some forested. The elevations aren't so high either, the alpine gets lower as you go north.

If you make it to the Kettle Crest, you might as well pop over the border to Rossland, BC. This is home of the 7 Summits trail, another IMBA epic. Seven Summits: Rossland, British Columbia, Canada | bikepirate
    This one is truly epic, a grueling 30 km point to point ridge top ride that crosses, you guessed it, seven summits. Rossland has a great little campground with hot showers and lots of trails looping the high mountain community.

Spokane proper, while not having destination riding, has lots of fun in town riding if you are coming through. Last count there are 8 local breweries if that's your thing.

I find the regional boards really helpful when putting this kind of thing together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Logistically (since I have hard departure and return dates from Denver, and hard "We Have To Be In Seattle" dates), it's shaking out like this:

Drive to Fruita after my wife's last class on 12 May. Ride one day, then drive to Moab. Two days in Moab (maybe Porcupine and Ahab?). Weather should be just about perfect.

Then, drive to Seattle, and maybe do a day biking there in addition to visiting with the 'rents.

On the way home, drive to McKenzie River on 2 June. Do a day there, and one other day somewhere near there (suggestions?). Then drive back to Denver.

Thoughts? Suggestions for Fruita, Moab, McKenzie, and Somewhere Near There But Sort Of On The Way To Denver?

TIA--

R.