Dee Bagg's Bucket List Tour 2015- Mtbr.com
    20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012

Dee Bagg's Bucket List Tour 2015

Hey All,

I am heading on a month long bucket list tour driving from Tampa to Seattle and back again. Presently, I am planning on on the following places to ride:

East to west leg:
    Pisgah 4 days
    Moab 4 days
    Salt Lake City (duration flexible)

Looking for suggestions for "Must Rides" between Salt Lake and Ashland Oregon.

West to East leg:
    Sedona is the only place I have on the list on the way back. Looking for suggestions but I may be crunched for time getting back.

Pretty sure I will be toasted after the first day since my average elevation change on rides here in FL is 34 feet. But, figured I gotta give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It might help to mention what type of rides you enjoy most. Technical, cruisy XC, DH shuttle, backcountry epic. Also the time of year will make a difference, as Moab is HOT in the summer and some mountain areas could be a better choice at that time. Assuming you like it all and will be going in summer...

Moab-Whole Enchilada with shuttle 11000'-4000'
    Colorado-Monarch Crest with shuttle, near Salida. Molas Pass to Engineer Mt. near Durango. loop if you don't mind some hwy riding, otherwise shuttle the hwy. The elevation may kill you, though. I know they are not between SLC and Ashland.

OK, there is the vast desert of the Great Basin between Salt Lake and Ashland, so no "must rides" there unless you venture off course a bit to Lake Tahoe or Downieville, or Greyeagle, east of Downieville, CA. All three have riding that is first class. Being from Florida, you may find the riding a bit demanding, but it is not as extreme as some of the Sedona stuff. In Sedona just stop in a bike shop, buy a map, and ask them for suggestions to fit your style. The trails there tend to be fairly rocky, with some exceptions, and up and down with relatively short DH sections of maybe a few hundred vert. Also hot in summer, so you may want to go to Flagstaff (about an hour north) and ride.

In Oregon, Oakridge area, the Umpqua River, and the Mckenzie River trails are some of the best.

Have a great trip!

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Bpressnal!,

Thanks for taking time to respond. I am tentatively adding Downieville to the list. Just got done today on an epic ride in Pisgah today that was true back country gnat and had 2000' of climbing. I am completely toasted but smiling ear to ear.
    Happy trails!

mtbr member
    I just posted up on my month long Southeast tour. After college I spent four months out west working on farms, mountain biking, and drinking. Honestly, scour the internet. Google. Strava Global Heatmap. Stop at a LBS. There is so much riding out there.

As a guy in his 20s who has hit 21 states for riding, I can't say there are many trails I didn't like. To met its about getting out there and riding. Sometimes the hidden local gems are worthy of the digging.

That being said trails I rode and loved and might be on your way: White Mountains in AZ, Horse Gulch in Durango, Fruita, and Boise Foothills.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.