Colorado 2nd week of October- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Colorado 2nd week of October

My newly wedded wife and I are going to be heading to Co for our honeymoon, and plan on stopping at Crested Butte and Monarch Crest Trail. I have been reading that mid-early October is pushing it as far as possible snowfall. We are going to be plan-free, and weather dependant vacationing, so I'm open to suggestions to avoid snow and visit some epic trails. I am an intermediate rider and she is a beginner/intermediate.

Our tentative plan is to start at Ft. Collins, drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park towards Estes Park, maybe go to Glenwood Springs for a night, then head South towards Durango. Where can we avoid snow, ride flowy epic singletrack, and sightsee along this route?

Out of the 4.5 days we have available in the great state of Colorado, we plan on spending 2-3 on a bike. Maybe 2 epic trails like previously mentioned, and a day or two of hiking/sightseeing.

Another metric to this trip is we are van camping out of our grand caravan. We need advice on camping where we can take a shower and stretch our legs. Where is the best resource for this information?

What maps may be useful for said such trip?

mtbr member
    It's tough to tell you how the trails will be this far in advance, because... it really just depends. There could be a big snow storm by then, or there might not be. Or there could be one, but it all melts by the time you're here. So my recommendation is to leave your plans open (especially if you're going to be camping out of your van), and just adapt to what the weather and trail conditions allow.

That said, I wouldn't bother with RMNP. It's crowded with tourists, and it's not nearly as spectacular as the central and southwest parts of the state (in my opinion). From Fort Collins, maybe head over to Steamboat if the weather allows, ride there for a day, then head south.

It's hard to make recommendations without knowing the weather and trail conditions: they're big unknowns at this time of year. A couple of almost-guarantees would be Eagle (the Boneyard/Pool-Ice loops), Fruita, Hartman Rocks, and Phil's World. All of those trail systems are appropriate for an intermediate and beginner/intermediate rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like way too much driving for a honeymoon.

Moderator Moderator
    The higher you go, the less predictable it will be. Lower elevation stuff will be fine. Be flexible.

If the focus is riding, I'd skip RMNP as well and pick two places. Colorado is a big state

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's tough to tell you how the trails will be this far in advance, because... it really just depends. There could be a big snow storm by then, or there might not be. Or there could be one, but it all melts by the time you're here. So my recommendation is to leave your plans open (especially if you're going to be camping out of your van), and just adapt to what the weather and trail conditions allow.

That said, I wouldn't bother with RMNP. It's crowded with tourists, and it's not nearly as spectacular as the central and southwest parts of the state (in my opinion). From Fort Collins, maybe head over to Steamboat if the weather allows, ride there for a day, then head south.

It's hard to make recommendations without knowing the weather and trail conditions: they're big unknowns at this time of year. A couple of almost-guarantees would be Eagle (the Boneyard/Pool-Ice loops), Fruita, Hartman Rocks, and Phil's World. All of those trail systems are appropriate for an intermediate and beginner/intermediate rider.
    I will research Fruita, Hartman Rocks, and Phil's World to keep a Plan B. RMNP would just be a hiking/sightseeing day after leaving Ft. Collins.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Is an overnighter on the mountain still relevant given the unpredictability of the weather?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was up in the high country in Silverton yesterday 9/30/19 and it's cold and blustery, but no snowfall to report yet. That's all the way up above 13,000ft, all trails are dry and GTG.

The extended forecast looks sunny. Of course, this is Colorado, that could completely change in the next 5 minutes.