Chequamegon IMBA Epic Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Chequamegon IMBA Epic Trail

Looking to go for a long weekend. Anyone have any experience and provide pointers, suggestions, myths as this is in the middle of nowhere?

I'll be going by myself and anyone is welcome to join along, just don't be creepy.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I live in Hayward so I know this area pretty well. If you plan on doing the full IMBA Epic route, park at the Namekagon Town Hall Trailhead and not the Rock Lake Trailhead since there is no charge to park at the Town Hall. Following the Epic signs, you will still get to do the Rock Lake loop.

Download a map at the camba website or pick one up at the trailheads. The trails are well marked but you are in a fairly remote area with minimal rider traffic and it's nice to have the assurance of the map when you are alone.

You will be about 10 miles east of Cable. I would highly recommend a pizza and a beer at Rivers Eatery in Cable when you are done. Great place.

If you have extra time to ride, also check out the trails in the Seeley/Cable cluster. The OO Trailhead is a great place to ride in either direction. Seeley Pass/Flow Mama trails are a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    BigMcLovin,

Thanks for the great info and I owe you a beer when I am up there!

The Cable/Seeley cluster really looks like a great place to just go cruise with lots of variety/offshoots and I will definitely have to spend a day out there as well! You say it is fairly remote so I should not be expecting to see anyone or maybe a few guys? Also is bear spray or anything like that required in the pack, besides the usual spares/tools?

I did dl the .gpx and will stick it in the Garmin in case I end up in Minnesota or something, haha.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The Rock Lake loop is a little more away from everything and the trails are generally ridden one-way which is why you will see less people. The Seeley cluster, especially the OO trailhead, will have people on the weekends but nothing is ever crowded on the camba trails. If you are going this weekend, the Cheq 100 is going on and you may run into race traffic on Saturday if you find yourself on a race route.

Don't worry about bear spray. Ever bear encounter I've had ends in them running off as fast as they can after you startle them on a bike. Do bring bug/tick repellent though. I also pack extra bug wipes in my pack to reapply if I need to do a repair. The mosquitoes haven't been as bad this year as last but you'll still want to be prepared in case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcLovin View Post
    I live in Hayward...park at the Namekagon Town Hall Trailhead
    Lucky rider to have 300 miles so well-made and -mapped. Chequamegon used to be an annual highlight; the same small group rented a different lake house each year, but the group changed in 2009. From Town Hall I'd happily go to the Pla-Mor tavern on Lake Namakagon. Black flies on your trails—I got the distinct impression they swarm the lead rider, which was always my brother. Alas, equilibrium rides alone. He'll have a great time, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the info guys. I will end up going shortly depending on how much I want to slave at my job.

As for why I ride alone, it is mostly due to the fact that I can do what the heck I wanna do on the trail. Not worrying for someone to keep up or revisiting a section of trail a few times in one ride to master a berm, gap, drop, section, or just because it was heaven on dirt. Another reason, my friends and girlfriend are lazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I try to not overperform and hurt my spine, so I do better alone now for that reason. You might miss the whooping and hollering in Chequamegon.

At least you have friends and a girlfriend, eh?

National Forest, so you can camp anywhere. The one time I did I used an empty campground—Perch Lake. Small and quiet with a few sites overlooking the lake. Although you have to drive to ride from that one.

Enjoy; drive safely. Many deer at night. Wolf pack up there, too.