Brown County or Griffin Bike, Indiana- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Brown County or Griffin Bike, Indiana

Hello -

New to the forums here but have been biking for 6 or 7 years now.

I am taking a trip to the midwest and will have a day to bike in Indiana and just can't decide which park I want to visit.

Anyone familiar with both of these and can recommend the best one?

Im an intermediate rider.

Thank you!

since 4/10/2009
    Griffin is a small place. Fun, but no long descents. Everything there is short and punchy. There are dirt jumps and a pump track if that's your thing.

Brown County has a LOT more. Honestly, it's a lot more than just Brown County State Park, too. There's over 100miles of interconnected trails there across different state and federal land, and there are some descents that sustain for several minutes and give you some opportunities for speed. There are also some trails that offer a nice, remote backcountry feel as well as the more manicured frontcountry stuff. No dirt jumps or pump track, but there is a flow trail with big jumps and berms. There's also some really rocky, technical stuff if that's what you want instead.

You could ride everything in Griffin in a couple hours. There's enough in Brown County to keep most people entertained for days without riding the same thing twice. A week or more if you find some stuff you really like and want to ride it more than once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    [mention]brokeloser90 [/mention]how soon do you plan to be in the Midwest? The reason I ask is I am taking a camping trip to ride in Indiana at Brown County this weekend. Possibly hitting up Griffin in the way back home. I could report back on the experience. Really pumped to go.
    Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Griffin is a small place. Fun, but no long descents. Everything there is short and punchy. There are dirt jumps and a pump track if that's your thing.

Brown County has a LOT more. Honestly, it's a lot more than just Brown County State Park, too. There's over 100miles of interconnected trails there across different state and federal land, and there are some descents that sustain for several minutes and give you some opportunities for speed. There are also some trails that offer a nice, remote backcountry feel as well as the more manicured frontcountry stuff. No dirt jumps or pump track, but there is a flow trail with big jumps and berms. There's also some really rocky, technical stuff if that's what you want instead.

You could ride everything in Griffin in a couple hours. There's enough in Brown County to keep most people entertained for days without riding the same thing twice. A week or more if you find some stuff you really like and want to ride it more than once.
    Thank you for the information!

After some extensive research I've decided that Brown County is the right choice for me and can't wait to check it out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

After some extensive research I decided that Brown County is the right choice for me and I'm stoked to check it out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeloser90 View Post

After some extensive research I decided that Brown County is the right choice for me and I'm stoked to check it out!
    I hope you enjoyed your time in Brown County State Park. We rode this past weekend and it was so awesome. Highly recommend the trails there and spending a few days sampling everything in each direction. The park is beautiful and we stayed there at the campground which I would also recommend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kanderswims View Post
    I hope you enjoyed your time in Brown County State Park. We rode this past weekend and it was so awesome. Highly recommend the trails there and spending a few days sampling everything in each direction. The park is beautiful and we stayed there at the campground which I would also recommend.

It was well worth the time, I was only able to ride about half of what it has to offer (my legs were toast after 15 miles) but I'm planning another trip to hit everything I missed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kanderswims View Post
    [mention]brokeloser90 [/mention]how soon do you plan to be in the Midwest? The reason I ask is I am taking a camping trip to ride in Indiana at Brown County this weekend. Possibly hitting up Griffin in the way back home. I could report back on the experience. Really pumped to go.
    Cheers!

I apologize for the late reply - I ended up going to Brown County as well and truly enjoyed it!

How was your experience?

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeloser90 View Post
    I apologize for the late reply - I ended up going to Brown County as well and truly enjoyed it!

How was your experience?
    My experience there was epic! We rode about 30 miles on day one. Tried to hit as much as we could, took plenty of breaks and enjoyed a warmer weather day. Got up on day 2 for a few more miles of the favorite trails like Hobbs Hollow before some rain was forecasted to roll in.

The town of Nashville was great for food and drinks. A lot more to do there than I imagined, so that was a nice surprise. Met some friends that came down from Indy for pizza and beers..

On the way home, stopped by Griffin Bike Park in the rain just to put eyes on it. It will be a place to hit for a few hours on another trip to Indiana.