Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore- Mtbr.com
    dollar store reject

Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore

I see they advertise they do have mtb trails.. anyone ever been?
    Are there beginner/intermediate trails or are they all advanced/expert?
    "..don't go ninja'n nuthin' what don't need ninja'n!"

mtbr member
    My wife and I raced the Dakota 5-0 the first four years they had it (early 2000s) and the riding was great then - I assume it's only gotten better and that there's something for everyone.

My friend and his family just did a multi-day bikepacking trip on the Mickelson (spelling?) Rail Trail so there's that option.

I would contact local bike shops (they used to be Acme Bikes and Two-Wheeler Dealer, not sure about now).

mtbr member
    Lots of trails. for all skill levels. the trails used by the 5-0(tinton is my favorite) are all good, not terribly technical. Crow Peak in Spearfish. Hanson-Larson(spelling?), sometimes known as M-Hill in town in Rapid City has some really good stuff. I believe there is a jump park in Rapid as well.

There is a new pump track in Sturgis, Lots of trailheads in or just outside of Sturgis as well. There is actually a trailhead right across the highway from the pump track. If you head towards rapid from Sturgis there is a trailhead for bulldog(a really fun section of the Mickelson trail), although it actually starts at Bear Butte Lake(really easy section between there and Fort Meade.(both a cool tourist locations that are out of the way.)

Lots of trails around and outside of Rapid.

dir-T has some good advice. Contact those bike shops.

BTW...Ive done the 5-O 4 times as well, from 2008 to 2013(skipped a year). Hoot of a race and a great event. Perry really puts on a good event.

Mickelson is cool as well. We did the entire stretch in a day(109 miles I think). That was a LLLOOONNGG day. It was an event called the big Mick. Don't know if it is still going on or not. There are a lot of cool old railroad bridges and tunnels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We met some friends from the Midwest near Hill City in early summer. Our kids are 9 and 11 and rode bikes almost every day we were there. There are trails for all skill levels. The Mickelson Trail isn't really a mtb trail, but it was still a lot of fun--we stopped to pan for gold right off the trail and anytime you wanted some food or a beer or a break, you just pull into the next town and find a place.

There's good mountain biking in Custer State Park and on forest service land all over the Black Hills.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5