Biking in Montana- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Biking in Montana

Hubby and I are planning a trip to Montana first week in Oct. Going to do Glacier National Park. Suggestions on trails nearby. Would love to get a few trails into the vacation. We live in Appalachian Mtns of NC so will be gaining 2500+ elevation, so want to still breathe so not too technical. Also, any suggestions for bike rental stores if you are from the area. So afraid to try to ship my bike. Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

look in the idaho/montana forum

check out this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana...g-1015551.html

october is getting a bit late for Glacier, can be great can be snow, the sun road may still be open but most of the boats and lodging will be closed for the year

Quote Originally Posted by burrells View Post
    Hubby and I are planning a trip to Montana first week in Oct. Going to do Glacier National Park. Suggestions on trails nearby. Would love to get a few trails into the vacation. We live in Appalachian Mtns of NC so will be gaining 2500+ elevation, so want to still breathe so not too technical. Also, any suggestions for bike rental stores if you are from the area. So afraid to try to ship my bike. Thanks!!!!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Great Northern in Whitefish rents bikes....Wheatons in Kalispell is also a good shop but not sure if they rent.
    Check out Flathead Fat Tires, not sure if they still have their weekly group rides in October.
    Depends on where you are staying.....There are a ton of great loops that involve slogging up fire/dirt roads and then bombing back down. Reid Divide is great. Blacktail to Lakeside is amazing, end up at Tamarack for some grub after. Whitefish loops are fun. Desert mountain is fun. Can't really go wrong in the Flathead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Favorite trail I found in MT was the Clark Fork River Trail #223. 12 miles east of I-90 by St Regis. Deep in the river canyon, tricky to find, by 14 Mile Bridge. 9 miles each way expect to hear the river, birds and an occasional trail across the river.
    agmtb

Don't worry, be happy!
    Stay at Whitefish Mountain Bike Retreat. The place is awesome and right on the trails and the owner can arrange rentals.
    Whitefish Bike Retreat - Home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Stay at Whitefish Mountain Bike Retreat. The place is awesome and right on the trails and the owner can arrange rentals.
    Whitefish Bike Retreat - Home
    How's the riding near Whitefish? I'm looking into a week long trip next year some time.

My wife's strong but not keen on endos, so we're looking for intermediate xc trails, not all-mountain stuff where you need armor. Barb runs ultra races and doesn't want to miss part of a season due to biking injury.

We had a fun week at Moab a couple of years back, but a few trails were out of her comfort zone.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    +1 for the Whitefish Bike Retreat. Literally tons of fun flowy XC loops to be had right out your door. Not too far from town if you need to you can ride to downtown Whitefish.
    Also Wheaton's has a hostel upstairs if staying in town is more your style.

mtbr member
    Sounds cool. I may also look into other suggestions for that kind of trip, but I should start a new thread.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Favorite trail I found in MT was the Clark Fork River Trail #223. 12 miles east of I-90 by St Regis. Deep in the river canyon, tricky to find, by 14 Mile Bridge. 9 miles each way expect to hear the river, birds and an occasional trail across the river.
    We looked are har on Mtbproject and the start when driving home last night. I take it you do it as an out and back?