Bike Shipping Companies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike Shipping Companies?

Hi MTBers,

I have a bike that I need to get to AZ. If you've had experience with some of the advertised bike shippers please provide some feedback (good, bad, and the ugly).

Thanks Much!!
    G

mtbr member
    BikeFlights.com, hands down.

Not only are they the cheapest you'll find, but their customer service is outstanding. I had two different issues last year with bikes I shipped, and they went above and beyond to make sure things were taken care of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    BikeFlights.com, hands down.

Not only are they the cheapest you'll find, but their customer service is outstanding. I had two different issues last year with bikes I shipped, and they went above and beyond to make sure things were taken care of.
    Thanks!!

Rent this space for $
    I bought a road bike from a guy in AZ that has shipped a lot of bikes. He shipped mine for free as part of the deal and he used www.shipbikes.com. As I recall, it was only $40 and he acquired a good bike box from his LBS. They work through FedEx Ground and once you do the paperwork online, FedEx will come to you and pick it up or you can drop it off. The only thing that spooked me was when it arrived, there was a huge hole in the side of the box which contained a complete carbon framed bike that was partially disassembled. Fortunately, the seller was experienced enough to have wrapped and protected the frame and components prior to fitting and properly supporting the bike in the box. Pool Noodles from Walmart are only $1 for a 5 or 6' length located in the toy department...even during winter in my local store.

I just read something on shipbikes' site that said something about bikeflights being shifty in how they were baiting and switching through Google somehow. Sounds like it's been stopped, though.

On another note for comparison sake, I recently bought a Surly Karate Monkey frameset only. 19# shipping weight. I struck a deal with the owner and he was very unconcerned with the shipping aspect so he lowballed his shipping requirement. I thought he was using a bike shipper. Turns out he got a standard bike box from his LBS and did little to reduce it's size even though it was just a medium frame/fork and the fork wasn't even installed. He shipped it UPS Ground and texted me in near hysterics. It cost him $88 bucks! He went with $20 in our negotiations. I felt bad but when I saw the box show up, it was obvious why. So, if you go it alone without a bike shipper, expect a hefty fee.