Best international/non-US tour groups- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best international/non-US tour groups

I was curious if the people that have done long international mtb trips have used a tour group? I was going to go solo, so a group would be fun. I know Sacred Rides was one group...but the thing I'm scared about is watered down single track rides. Are there groups that take you on hairy/technical trails??

Second part of this: if you had to do 1 exotic international mtb trip, where would it be?!

mtbr member
    Last year we went on our first ever guided trip. We're serious DIY trip people. My wife and I are not content to be lead along in a pack of sheeple. After a lot of research we decided on H+I Adventures. They do trips all over the world. We chose to do their Coast to Coast Scotland trip, which would seem to be a pretty benign destination. Not like Africa or Nepal or something...
    Regardless the team at H+I are amazing, real riders, real adventures. The logistics and organization of trip was amazing. And yes, when they say 'Advanced" I assure you that you will be challenged. You won't go wrong with them. And if we do another guided trip it will be with H+I

https://www.mountainbikeworldwide.com/

mtbr member
    Also heard good things about H+I Adventures - have a friend that has been on their New Zealand and Scottland Trips and said they both were amazing.

Where you go depends on what time of the year you're going. If its summer and you haven't been to BC then there is no place that has more awesome hairy terrain. Winter - definitely New Zealand or Tasmania.
    www.crankjoy.com - Exploring the happy places, a mountain bike travel and gear resource.

mtbr member
    A few years ago I did a trip to Morocco with cycleactive (cycleactive.co.uk), would not hesitate to do another trip with them. We had an incident where someone got hurt, and our guide handled it perfectly. To me that's the measure of how good they are at their job, when things go wrong.

The group was on the large side, but they had 2 guides: one from the UK, the other local. A place like that, no way you're going to find the best trails without a local; plus... having someone with you that speaks both English and local language makes things a lot easier. If the trails we did weren't technical enough for you, I doubt you'd be happy anywhere.

mtbr member
    A question about the fitness level (especially H+I)...the tours stipulate some pretty long days in the saddle...like 8 hours and averaging 25 miles+ a day. Is this true??? Most of my days are a few hours max a couple of times a week, and head home. So I'd have to train for this level of endurance!

mtbr member
    Can't speak for whatever tour guide you're looking at, but the ones I've done, yes there were days that long. It was never a slog, or the type of situation where I was counting down miles.

for reference though; I could walk 25 miles in 8 hours, that's only about 3mph average. I'd expect if you're riding, that would include lots of breaks.

mtbr member
    skinnybex (usually on the Yeti forum) has done a few trips with H&I as well. Scotland, New Zealand and I think Chile. BKXC and I think smokan (owner of Chasing Epic here in the US) went over to Spain and I *think* they rode with BasqueMTB and had nothing but good things to say.

My problem is while I've done 4 day MTB trips here in the US a few times, I know that many tours in other countries are 6-12 days at times. I haven't looked at every itinerary but I don't actually have a desire to ride that many days in a row. I also don't want to go thru the troubles/hassles/expense of going MTB'ing in another country and not have time to do plenty of other stuff wherever I may be...like rafting in Rotorua in New Zealand.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Monkies, regarding length of the days with H+I. For our trip their descriptions were purposefully vague yet completely accurate. Yes, it was long days. Yes 7 or 8 hrs was common. But they are talking about time from door to door. It's not 7 to 8 hrs at hammer pace in the saddle. You're there to see the scenery, experience the culture and challenge yourself. Obviously the better your fitness the greater the enjoyment. Attitude is everything, and the guides were excellent at finding lines that challenged the best in our group and pulling the absolute best out of everyone on the trip.

If you're riding and challenging yourself a couple times a week and like challenging terrain you'll be prepared and stoked.

And as K2rider eluded to, leave yourself a couple extra days before/after to explore whatever destination you choose.

mtbr member
    Yep, like k2rider said above, I rode with Basque MTB a couple of months ago on their Winter Enduro trip. It's definitely NOT a watered down singletrack tour.... it's more hardcore than most anything you'll find anywhere else with a tour company. The days were hard, the trails were tough, and I have a new respect for what it means for a trail to be technical, muddy, and steep.

Doug (the owner) runs a great operation, and they have trips that span the entire calendar. I'd love to do their High Pyrenees or Basque Coast trips, they both look incredible.

If you look on the main "Passion" forum, you'll see a trip report I put up a few days ago. I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I used Big Mountain Adventures for our honeymoon in Peru a few years ago. Top notch, and the trails were anything but watered down singletrack. I'd say if you're not nearly an expert level rider with good fitness than you would be way out of your element.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    #1 on my bucket list:

https://icebikeadventures.com/