Best bike case for air travel and/or shipping via UPS etc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Best bike case for air travel and/or shipping via UPS etc?

I've done a search but not come up with much... looking for a case to travel with or ship a carbon FS 29'r and I'm worried about a soft-sided case possibly allowing damage to the frame during travel.

Can anyone recommend a quality case that I can sleep at night knowing my frame won't be broken when it reaches destination?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    I have a size large 29r FS and I've used this and flown with it with no problems:
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-pro-_-1683468

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you for the response.

I'm concerned enough about damaging a carbon frame during travel that I'm leaning towards a hard-sided case like the Thule round trip transition which we'll likely grab shortly. I'll post back after I travel a bit with it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

No known cure
    I borrowed a Trico hard shell case from another forum member here for a trip to Iceland. It went from LAX to DIA to KEF and back. I not only got the singlespeed 26er in there, but a ton of gear also. TSA opened it both ways and had no trouble getting it back together and I wouldn't have know except for the flyer they left.

Tricosports
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I've flown with the EVOC a few times domestic and international with zero issues (apart from the bike fees the airlines make you pay).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have that Thule softcase and it's pretty awesome. Of course it not going to protect as well as a hardcase, but I was willing to compromise for the lighter weight and easier storage. Pad the frame well and have had no problems. Dunno if airlines will hit you with charge for bike AND overweight if you go over, which is easy with a hardcase. Luggage charges being the big money maker for them now, I wouldn't be surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This obviously takes a lot more wrenching than most guys are likely to want to take on, but if you have a full sus with a fully removable rear triangle, then there are quite a few hardside pieces of luggage that will fit everything but the wheels. I just put the wheels in individual wheelbags and then put them into a larger duffle type bag. Recently took 2 bikes to Hawaii using this method and paid $0 in extra fees.

The bikes I took were the Salsa Bucksaw size Medium and the Santa Cruz 5010 Large

The luggage I use is the Samsonite Cruisair DLX Hardside Spinner 30, but there are several others that would work.

Best bike case for air travel and/or shipping via UPS etc?-13770370_1179902852060753_3148177409284284922_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just to update this, I wound up picking up one Thule round trip transition and one Evoc Bike Travel Transport Bag.

Since getting them both and placing the Evoc side by side with the Thule, I decided to return the Evoc and ordered a second Thule which just arrived today.

I feel the Evoc is a great bag; well engineered, collapsible, much lighter (important), MUCH easier to maneuver and seems to offer enough protection. However, I don't think it's going to protect a carbon bike as well as the Thule will.

The downside to the Thule is that it is significantly heavier (about 35lbs if you take the removable bike stand with you, or ~32lbs if you remove it and leave it home) which, once you pack your bike and some spare parts/tires/tools/packaging puts you pretty close to the 75lb limit. Another consideration is vehicle rental once at destination; the Thule is not collapsible so you're limited to a pickup or minivan for rental as you WILL NOT fit this case inside a passenger car.

Also, what to do with it when you're not using it; it's huge and again, doesn't collapse like the Evoc will so storage becomes something to consider.

I'd be glad to post pics of both of them inside and out if anyone is interested, and I hope this info helps another MTB traveler out there.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    I feel the Evoc is a great bag; well engineered, collapsible, much lighter (important), MUCH easier to maneuver and seems to offer enough protection. However, I don't think it's going to protect a carbon bike as well as the Thule will.
    Two carbon bikes, four carbon rims, two Evocs.

Just remove pedals, QRs and handlebars and you're all set. The rotors stay on.

We just flew SFO, CPH, TRD then TRD, OSL, EWR, SFO. Five different planes, one customs retransfer in EWR, no issues at all. I'm sold.

Best bike case for air travel and/or shipping via UPS etc?-13775436_10208670398050699_2329775381608663563_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agreed, not meant to knock the Evoc at all as they all appear to be quality cases. The one thing that really did me in on the Evoc was when it was standing next to the Thule in my living room. My cat jumped on the Thule, and then tried to walk on the Evoc which promptly caved in on itself. It didn't have the bike inside it at the time, but my thought was that if that was all the vertical protection it offered, the risk of damage was to great, to me at least. You can see how your seats are basically part of the structure of the case once inside. One heavy bag tossed on top of yours and there will be contact there.

With the Thule, there is no way for anything to contact your seat or your bike.

Downsides with the Thule: Weight and size.

One of our cases had an AL Santa Cruz 5010 inside, along with a bike pump. The other had a carbon Intense Tracer 275, along with a pair of spare tires. Both cases weighed 68-69 lbs, well under the 75lb weight limit.

One thing I would suggest with the Thule; go to Walmart and get a 4-pack of 10' ratchet straps as once you get on location they will need to be strapped down in the back of a pickup truck or they will move around at highway speeds. If you rent an SUV or van and keep them inside this is a non-issue.

Hope this helps everyone.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    Agreed, not meant to knock the Evoc at all as they all appear to be quality cases. The one thing that really did me in on the Evoc was when it was standing next to the Thule in my living room. My cat jumped on the Thule, and then tried to walk on the Evoc which promptly caved in on itself. It didn't have the bike inside it at the time, but my thought was that if that was all the vertical protection it offered, the risk of damage was to great, to me at least. You can see how your seats are basically part of the structure of the case once inside. One heavy bag tossed on top of yours and there will be contact there.
    Did you have the end stays and the wheel protecting tubes installed with the all of the zippers closed? For a proper cat test that would provide the most support without a bike inside.

Yes, the seat mast is part of the structure - on purpose. The bottom bracket rests on top of thick dense foam piece that can deform if the force is too much.

I've used a BikePro soft case as well as a two bike "bike coffin" hard shell to travel before. The Evoc is easier to use, much more compact once you get there (not every country rents US-sized SUVs or vans) and offers great protection. They are really well thought out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

armored hen house

i went through the research prior to a trip to sicily and settled on a ruster sports armored hen house- it seems to be the case or choice for triathletes-so it protects carbon stuff pretty well. Its actually 2 cases one for the wheel set and one for the rest, disassembly consists of removing pedals, derailleur, seat post and fork- sounds like a lot but actually pretty quick. because each bag is smaller i have not been charged in 10 trips. protection seems really good and its pretty light. there is room for a good amount of addl gear in the bags as well. The caveat i would give is that wide tires on a 29er might need a bit of deflation i have icon 2.2's and it feels like i could go to 2.35 but i might need to take a bit of air out. At check in i always get asked what is in the round bag -i just say wheels and they say ok and tag it

I still own an iron case but would love to sell it -almost guaranteed to be charged and tough to deal with in an airport or rental car. The consensus or the bike touring websites is that a box gets treated the worst then hard cases then soft.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfForumsPast View Post
    Did you have the end stays and the wheel protecting tubes installed with the all of the zippers closed? For a proper cat test that would provide the most support without a bike inside.

Yes, the seat mast is part of the structure - on purpose. The bottom bracket rests on top of thick dense foam piece that can deform if the force is too much.

I've used a BikePro soft case as well as a two bike "bike coffin" hard shell to travel before. The Evoc is easier to use, much more compact once you get there (not every country rents US-sized SUVs or vans) and offers great protection. They are really well thought out.