Bend, Ore. recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Bend, Ore. recommendations

I'm just starting to plan my annual 3-5 day August mountain bike trip, and I think I'm settling in on Bend Oregon.

I've been to Breckinridge a couple of times during the Breck Epic and really loved it. It was such an awesome mountain bike town; from the service at the rental shop, the trails, to the great villages with cool restaurants and bars to check out after a long day of riding. The Peaks trail to Frisco was an awesome morning ride for lunch in Frisco and free busses to take you back up to the top for an afternoon ride back into Breck--loved it.

It seems like Bend might be a similar sort of situation? Bike friendly town, cool brew pubs and the likes, and close to the airport in Redmond, which looks to be a direct flight from NYC. I could use some recommendations on places to stay that would be convenient to the trail systems and downtown village area. I'd also be keen to understand if there is a "bailout" busing system that bikes can go on, if my legs are too raged to take me back up.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

L84 Beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Look for housing West of the river for the best convenience to trails, lots of VRBO types available. Most shops in town have high end bikes for rent. Check out Cog Wild for shuttles, they will take you up into the mountains with many options to ride back into town. In August the trails close to town will be a bit dusty and blown out, ridable but not the funnest option. Checkout bendtrails.org

mtbr member
    Good advice above. May not be your normal routine but check out the bike tours with Cog Wild and see if one fits your schedule and budget. With their tours, they will pick you up at the airport, shuttle you to the trails, plus provide food, lodging and post ride beers every day. They even have one tour, the "Bend Bike & Brew" tour that goes to a different brewery every night. That being said, I suggest the Oakridge or North Umpqua tour if you want to have an awesome experience. Like Jing said above, the Bend area trails are going to mostly be blown out moon dust by August and the last couple August's have been scorchers. If you do stay in Bend, Cog Wild does daily shuttles to different places. M are sure you at least get out of town and do the McKenzie River day tour.

....and nobody is flying non-stop into Redmond except maybe Alaska Airlines FROM Seattle.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That's right. No direct flights to Redmond. It's too small for the big jets. However, the flight from Seattle or Portland is kinda cool on a little prop job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Redmond has 21 flights a day with non-stop service to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LAX, Salt Lake City, Denver, and now Phoenix. I fly out of there at least a dozen times a year and its pretty convenient for servicing a relatively small population.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I forgot about the west coast cities. I was thinking east of the Mississippi.