Amplifier Case for Frame and Checking as Baggage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Amplifier Case for Frame and Checking as Baggage

Hey guys,

So, i've taken several trips over the years with my massive Bike Pro bike case. I am stuck flying with SW for all of these due to their $75 charge.

I have been flying United for business and have accrued status and points. With that, I am now able to check 3 bags, up to 70 pounds, for free. But, the bags must fall within the 62 linear inch maximum. Here comes my idea. If I am going somewhere for a week, can I break down the frame enough to fit in that space. I think the answer is yes:

Amp Cases | Level 2 Roadie Jr Amp Combo Cases by Brand and Model

Internal dimensions I am thinking are 24"x 28"x 8". Add an inch onto those for the external dimensions (63"total, which is totally good). I plan on removing the fork and unbolting the front of my rear shock, so that the rear linkage "folds" up to the seatpost.

I also plan on buying the BikND wheel bag, which can be checked as a single piece as well.

I guess my question is, before ordering this $220 box, has anyone attempted this before? Any pros or cons? Honestly, the additional 20 minutes in assembly/disassembly for the fork and rear chainstay is worth saving, at the very least, $150 ($300 on United).

mtbr member
    Have you actually broken down the bike as you plan to and verified it is the dimensions you think it will be? The thing that raises my eyebrow is folding up the rear linkage (I don't think I've ever seen one that folds up flush with the seat tube without a good amount of disassembly).

Other than that... I have to remove forks to even get mine in a bike case, so it really sounds like only one extra step. That amp case looks sturdier than most bike cases too, plus it's meant to carry things much heavier than bikes, has proper handles (every time I use my IronCase, I curse their idea of handles), and putting the wheels in a separate bag could make the weight more reasonable.

Seems like a really good idea. I'd confirm with the airline that they aren't going to ding you anyway when you show up with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    good point on actually breaking it down and measuring. just to be 100% sure. i eyed it when i took the measurements.

handles are good, although i already have them on my large case. definitely sturdier than the little plastic, which I ineviteably throw pillows in to cushion the wheels. the whole thing still "flexes" when you push on it. doubt that 1/4"ATA plywood would do the same.

airline wont break my balls over 1 inch. doubt they would even measure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

you have probably already executed your plan but

here is my 2 cents,
    since you get 3 bags i would recommend doing what i do- use a rooster sports armored henhouse- wheels go in 1 bag and the frame etc go in the other- the wheel bag is small and i usually throw a shoulder strap on it The frame bag is slightly oversize but i have never had it measured( the manufacturer claims it is not but the voodoo measuring method they use is not the same as the airlines. The frame bag has wheels and requires removing pedals , fork and saddle. I have traveled for years with bags that are slightly oversize and as a higher level frequent flier have never seen them measured. You can fit tools and a lot of gear in the 2 bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbe31 View Post
    Hey guys,

So, i've taken several trips over the years with my massive Bike Pro bike case. I am stuck flying with SW for all of these due to their $75 charge.

I have been flying United for business and have accrued status and points. With that, I am now able to check 3 bags, up to 70 pounds, for free. But, the bags must fall within the 62 linear inch maximum. Here comes my idea. If I am going somewhere for a week, can I break down the frame enough to fit in that space. I think the answer is yes:

Internal dimensions I am thinking are 24"x 28"x 8". Add an inch onto those for the external dimensions (63"total, which is totally good). I plan on removing the fork and unbolting the front of my rear shock, so that the rear linkage "folds" up to the seatpost.

I also plan on buying the BikND wheel bag, which can be checked as a single piece as well.

I guess my question is, before ordering this $220 box, has anyone attempted this before? Any pros or cons? Honestly, the additional 20 minutes in assembly/disassembly for the fork and rear chainstay is worth saving, at the very least, $150 ($300 on United).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    here is my 2 cents,
    since you get 3 bags i would recommend doing what i do- use a rooster sports armored henhouse- wheels go in 1 bag and the frame etc go in the other- the wheel bag is small and i usually throw a shoulder strap on it The frame bag is slightly oversize but i have never had it measured( the manufacturer claims it is not but the voodoo measuring method they use is not the same as the airlines. The frame bag has wheels and requires removing pedals , fork and saddle. I have traveled for years with bags that are slightly oversize and as a higher level frequent flier have never seen them measured. You can fit tools and a lot of gear in the 2 bags.
    i didnt do anything yet. might be looking at a new bike, so my measurements will probably change. this is a good idea, but I find a problem with regard to the sizing. my bike is an XL, so seems like i will have to remove cranks as well. it is definetely something to consider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

it may depend on the bike

the bike i may putting in there is lg ti fargo from 2013- there is addl room for a larger frame but your best bet might be to contact the aufacturer.
    one place that there is a fitting issue is the wheel bag with larger 29er tires (wider than 2.25) they may require deflating a bit
    on my bike the measurement from top front of head tube bearing race to rear of dropout is 41.5 inches, from bottom of chainring to top of seat tube is 23.25

i did a quick measurement of the bag and diagonally front to rear and top to bottom, and there is as much as 45 end to end and 25 top to bottom depending on how the frame is shaped- that would be best case

i didnt do anything yet. might be looking at a new bike, so my measurements will probably change. this is a good idea, but I find a problem with regard to the sizing. my bike is an XL, so seems like i will have to remove cranks as well. it is definetely something to consider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been down this rabbit hole, sorry if this gets long, I travel this way with my bikes now, have taken multiple trips and it works great.

I originally also was going to purchase a roadie case, but when I weighed (literally) the pros and cons, I ultimately decided on a Samsonite suitcase.

I usually am travelling with 2 bikes (5010, Bucksaw), so here is my setup.

Here is the suitcase I use Samsonite Cruisair DLX Hardside Spinner 30 - eBags.com it weighs about 14lbs vs 25+ for the roadie case. Its a great suitcase, solid outside, rolls well, no zippers to break and also more secure without them. I can fit my large santa cruz 5010 minus wheels in this suitcase, but its a tight fit from bb to top of seatpost (ihave to put it in the suitcase at an angle), this is going to be the critical measurement for whatever frame you end up trying to fit.

The suitcase is huge, lots of room left after the bike is packed, I usually end up being able to fit everything I am travelling with (clothes, shoes, etc.)

For wheels, I have 4 individual padded wheel bags which I then put into a cheap duffle bag Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike Carry Bag Travel Carrier Transport Luggage 14"-20" | eBay I put the wheels into this duffle bag because then they don't look like wheels, so then it wont lead to a conversation about bike wheels and if I am transporting a bike or not.

So, the pros of the suitcase:

-lighter
    -easier to transport with wheels and a handle
    -less suspicious looking, its just a regular suitcase vs. someone likely asking what is in the roadie case as some airlines charge for musical instruments etc.

Cons

-It might not fit if the bb to top of seatpost measurement wont work.
    -It also may not work if the bike you are trying to fit does not have a completely removable rear triangle, but this would likely be an issue for the roadie case as well.

There is an even larger suitcase, Samsonite F'lite Spinner 31" - eBags.com but it does technically exceed the 62" limit, and it is only slightly bigger at the critical width dimension. I've read in reviews that people almost always get away with no fees for this suitcase, but some have had to pay the oversize fee but not the bike fee.

Pic of my Bucksaw in the suitcase:

Amplifier Case for Frame and Checking as Baggage-bucksaw.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    I have been down this rabbit hole, sorry if this gets long, I travel this way with my bikes now, have taken multiple trips and it works great.

I originally also was going to purchase a roadie case, but when I weighed (literally) the pros and cons, I ultimately decided on a Samsonite suitcase.

I usually am travelling with 2 bikes (5010, Bucksaw), so here is my setup.

Here is the suitcase I use Samsonite Cruisair DLX Hardside Spinner 30 - eBags.com it weighs about 14lbs vs 25+ for the roadie case. Its a great suitcase, solid outside, rolls well, no zippers to break and also more secure without them. I can fit my large santa cruz 5010 minus wheels in this suitcase, but its a tight fit from bb to top of seatpost (ihave to put it in the suitcase at an angle), this is going to be the critical measurement for whatever frame you end up trying to fit.

The suitcase is huge, lots of room left after the bike is packed, I usually end up being able to fit everything I am travelling with (clothes, shoes, etc.)

For wheels, I have 4 individual padded wheel bags which I then put into a cheap duffle bag Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike Carry Bag Travel Carrier Transport Luggage 14"-20" | eBay I put the wheels into this duffle bag because then they don't look like wheels, so then it wont lead to a conversation about bike wheels and if I am transporting a bike or not.

So, the pros of the suitcase:

-lighter
    -easier to transport with wheels and a handle
    -less suspicious looking, its just a regular suitcase vs. someone likely asking what is in the roadie case as some airlines charge for musical instruments etc.

Cons

-It might not fit if the bb to top of seatpost measurement wont work.
    -It also may not work if the bike you are trying to fit does not have a completely removable rear triangle, but this would likely be an issue for the roadie case as well.

There is an even larger suitcase, Samsonite F'lite Spinner 31" - eBags.com but it does technically exceed the 62" limit, and it is only slightly bigger at the critical width dimension. I've read in reviews that people almost always get away with no fees for this suitcase, but some have had to pay the oversize fee but not the bike fee.

Pic of my Bucksaw in the suitcase:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bucksaw.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1107465
    this is an awesome idea. i never really thought about it, but this should be cheaper and obviously less heavy than the big case. i could probably roll the dice with the oversized version, although it's still only 21x31 internal dimensions (which would be a squeeze). i could always buy one and then return it if the frame doesnt fit (assuming i buy from amazon or the like).

What do you use for padding the wheels? I'm not sure if this biknd bag is going to be the best for 29" wheels with tubeless setup. i dont want to drain out the fluid and remove the tire every time i go somewhere. That being said, wheels are pretty durable and I could probably fashion something padded myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use these wheel bags NEW MAVIC 700c PADDED WHEEL BAGS ( TWO BAGS ) | eBay and then put into the duffle bag that I linked in original post.

I can fit a 27.5 wheel with tires on, there is some room to spare, probably would be very tight with 29er and tires. I'm sure someone has figured out wheels bags for 29er with tires, quick search on this forum would probably sort it out.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Sometimes you get lucky with United at the Premiere Check in. I've avoided paying the $150 all 3 times I've flown with my Evoc from Las Vegas but I've been charged on my Return each time. I'm 1k so I get the same luggage specs as you do. I'd just bite the bullet and try to sweet talk the Agent at baggage. I'd rather keep my bike in a dedicated bike bag.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    One other note is the TSA has checked my bike bag each and every trip with the placard being left in my Evoc bag letting me know. I like the fact that all they need to do is unzip the side to visually check everything and then zip it back up and using some of the other idea's like the amp case you have to hope and pray they replace the lid and latches properly and also don't damage anything when they repack.....cables and whatnot.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    One other note is the TSA has checked my bike bag each and every trip with the placard being left in my Evoc bag letting me know. I like the fact that all they need to do is unzip the side to visually check everything and then zip it back up and using some of the other idea's like the amp case you have to hope and pray they replace the lid and latches properly and also don't damage anything when they repack.....cables and whatnot.
    all valid points. i've been looking at the Rüster Sports bags a lot recently. These seem to be better and fit within the 62 linear inch requirement. My only concern is returning it if the bike doesnt fit. They charge restocking fees, which I think is a little annoying considering the fact that not everything is one-size-fits-all.

In either case, no amount of sweet-talking will let them accept the huge bike box I currently use. I even emailed United stating that I want to fly my bike with them, but their $150 each way fee is forcing me to fly Southwest. I got a cookie-cutter response, as expected.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ended up buying the Samsonite F-Lite 31 GT and the frame BARELY fits with the rear triangle removed. I'm going to buy 2 Stan's wheel bag and put extra foam cushioning and them throw them into a large duffel as suggested. So far so good!

mtbr member
    I did a trip last year to iceland and packed my 650b ibis. Iceland air allows 2 cases up to 62" at no charge. I put my wheels and gear in my S&S machine case (26x26x10").
    I then made a plywood case for the frame and fork.Amplifier Case for Frame and Checking as Baggage-image1.jpg