Advise for first trip to Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Advise for first trip to Whistler

I will be visiting Whistler in August. I will be looking to ride some good single track. Iím not good at jumping or doing huge drops, my technical skills can get me around Surrey Hills and Afan (both in the UK) with no problems.

Iíll be taking my new Transition Scout with me.

What trails would you recommend and what general advice would you give a first time visitor to Whistler?

Cheers.
    Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you have the ambition for a big pedal 'Into the Mystic/Lord of the Squirrels' is a signature ride and worth the effort. Lots of press on that since it opened a couple years ago.

A single trip up for 'Top of the World', then exit down to Creekside (Kyber, Middle of Nowhere, Kashmir, Kush) is 1300m of pretty much non-stop technical, but nothing crazy descending.

Beyond that, there are loads of trails to play around on, plus a day in the park if that is your thing. Get out and ride.

Also recommend if you can swing it, is a day (or two) in Squamish. Ride Alice lake and hit trails like Leave of Absence, Rupert, Entrials, Room with a View, Heuso and so on.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 01-14-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. I will have transport, so was thinking of doing Squamish

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Definitely hit Squamish and the Half Nelson Trail. Your mom is a pretty good ride as well (no pun intended). For figuring out what to ride within the bike park and surrounding areas, MTBparks.com does a pretty good job of providing good info. They also have a pass like the epic pass for summer that Whistler is usually on with at least a free day.

https://mtbparks.com/British-Columbi...html#stay_play

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Advise for first trip to Whistler

Silly question maybe, but is a Transition Scout (new SBG) a suitable bike for the blue trails in Whistler? From what I have seen there are no really gnarly blueís (although some do look at the top of my riding skills).

Similar for Squamish, the YouTube vids I have seen make Squamish look mega gnarly, I presume there are suitable blue trails at Squamish (was thinking of arranging a trail guide for Squamish).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    And what is Top of the World? Is that outside of Whistler bike park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    And what is Top of the World? Is that outside of Whistler bike park?

It is in the park and starts all the way at the top. Usually not rid-able before the middle of July due to snow from what I understand. Check it out on Trail Forks.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/top-world/

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. Itís rated Black Diamond on trail forks. Iím not really sure how suitable that would be. Is it full of jumps and drops or is it just steep in places? If everything is rollable then I would be happy to ride it.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Itís rated Black Diamond on trail forks. Iím not really sure how suitable that would be. Is it full of jumps and drops or is it just steep in places? If everything is rollable then I would be happy to ride it.
    It's one of the harder single blacks at Whistler, but everything is rollable. Easier than Original Sin. No jumps, no drops. There are better trails in the park IMHO, but being above the treeline is cool.

mtbr member
    A Transition scout will be just fine for blue and black trails in Squamish and Whistler (I presume you are talking about trails outside the DH Park). There are definitely good blue options in Squamish for a day of riding. A guide would certainly sort you out well, especially if you had a little Whistler riding under your belt and could let them know what type of trails you enjoyed.

As for Top of the World. There is nothing crazy, but it's just a solid, technical ride. I highly recommend if you are going to do it, split off at Kyber and do Middle of no Where and Kashmir, etc. Top of the world is great but short, especially if you finish the ride through the park, it will be over pretty quick. Just be prepared, if you do the cutout route, it can be a little more remote and it's a solid black the entire way down. If you are on your limits riding blacks in Whistler I don't recommend it as it's pretty unrelenting.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    As for Top of the World. There is nothing crazy, but it's just a solid, technical ride. I highly recommend if you are going to do it, split off at Kyber and do Middle of no Where and Kashmir, etc. Top of the world is great but short, especially if you finish the ride through the park, it will be over pretty quick. Just be prepared, if you do the cutout route, it can be a little more remote and it's a solid black the entire way down. If you are on your limits riding blacks in Whistler I don't recommend it as it's pretty unrelenting.
    Kashmir and Kush are gnarly, Khyber has a couple really hard parts, don't take this route lightly! But if you can handle it, one of my favourite rides ever.

How long is your trip? If it's like a week, you should do 2 days bike park, 1 day squamish, 1 or 2 days whistler (outside of the park), and then 1 more of whatever was your favourite haha. Sounds like you're open to guiding/coaching? I work in that business, can point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cheers Kevin. I will be in touch. We will be there 3rd to 9th August.

mtbr member
    kevin267 is definitely somebody to listen to regarding Whistler advice!! His input was invaluable for my trip last July. We went for 10 days and I'm not a "park" guy either but go a few times a year and have a blast anyway. Let me start out by saying that Whistler BETTER than all the hype. The park has something for everybody at every level (maybe not beginners) and I was riding lifts with 9 year old girls out without their parents on smoother blue runs. The trails are very well maintained and I was pushing my limits but riding double blacks, though not at Mach 5 speeds, almost every day.

I'm sure you've read before that Whistler "blues" are generally harder that a "blue" trail elsewhere. I found the ratings relatively equal *in the park* but outside the park, I think the harder theory applied overall. I think I got in over my head of Comfortably Numb and that thing almost killed me. If you go do Lord of the Squirrels, make sure you know what you're biting off. It's not a hard climb but it's long and when you think you're done, there's more climbing to do. Going down is one of my top 5 trails ever though so there is that.

Top of the World is a trail off the tip top of the mountain and requires an add'l "add on" to your lift ticket. I think it was $20 CAD last year and they only allowed 200 riders per day on it so it doesn't get trashed. It's a blast as well and worth doing once for sure. However, listen to Kevin of you think you want to drop into Khyber, Kashmir and Kush. That is true backcountry stuff, very gnarly at times (we rode it on rented DH bikes with 8" of travel...not required but saved my bacon a couple times....I'll do it on 170mm Tracer next year). If you need help back there, it could be hours to get to you. We saw ZERO other riders back there the day we did it BUT IT SURE WAS FUN!!!

If you like riding wooden structures w/o too much risk, check out 'A River Runs Through It'...essentially an XC but super fun.

Definitely go to Squamish, in my younger, climb all day years, I would have loved to have lived in Squamish. The trails are awesome but you earn everything you get there. All the advice above is great and I'll add Angry Midget & Cakewalk.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    thanks for your detailed reply. It's always difficult to gauge difficulty level between bike parks, they all seem to have their own view of how difficult a Blue should be before it becomes a red. I am pretty confident I can take on most blue runs. Before I travel, I will get in touch with Kevin and see if he can hook me up with a guide, I can link to my own videos to show what trails I ride regularly here in the UK.

mtbr member
    thanks for your detailed reply. It's always difficult to gauge difficulty level between bike parks, they all seem to have their own view of how difficult a Blue should be before it becomes a red. I am pretty confident I can take on most blue runs. Before I travel, I will get in touch with Kevin and see if he can hook me up with a guide, I can link to my own videos to show what trails I ride regularly here in the UK.
    The park has *several* blue runs that are essentially flow trails with varying sizes of nice big berms that seem to go on forever at times. They are so smooth that most beginners could navigate them safely....though obviously not riding them as they were intended to be ridden. If you look at the trail map, they even give you a recommended "progression" flow chart on what trails to hit in order if you want. B Line, Fantastic, Blue Velvet, Una Moss and Expressway are all smooth blues. B Line is where the 9 year old girls I rode the lift with were headed.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. Iíve been watching loads of videos on YouTube and Iíve seen B line. Not a fan of Flow trails to be honest, I prefer the more Singletrack focused trails. Will
    No doubt give B line a go though

mtbr member
    Thanks. Iíve been watching loads of videos on YouTube and Iíve seen B line. Not a fan of Flow trails to be honest, I prefer the more Singletrack focused trails. Will
    No doubt give B line a go though

I had never actually been on a true flow trail like those in Whistler until my trip last year. They are a blast for about 1/2 mile and then I'm ready top be down with it. There are a few flow trails that link together over on Creekside that seem to go on forever. I too prefer singletrack and there is plenty to be had. With the exception of Half Nelson, everything we rode in Squamish was great singletrack stuff. Watch the 'Angry Pirate' video for Whistler...that's a blue singletrack.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm planning on bring our MTB's with us on holiday, a SC Bronson and Tranny Scout. Are there good car rental firms at the AirPort that will provide a big enough car for a family of 4, 2 large suitcases and 2 bikes?

mtbr member
    Not familiar with trails in the UK, but what kind of riding do you like to do? Big climbs? Long downhills? Flowy? Rocky? Technical but without big drops and jumps?

We spent 10 days in Whistler last summer and absolutely loved it. We definitely found some Whistler blues to be harder than any black we have ever ridden anywhere else though.

We spend the majority of our summers riding in the Rocky Mountains near Jasper, Alberta so are no strangers to big mountain, XC riding.

In Whistler, we rode the Into the Mystic/On The Rocks/Lord of the Squirrels loop and found it to be the most challenging trail we have ever ridden. Into the Mystic was fine. It was a long slog up, but it is a machine built trail purposely for climbing so it was smooth and easy. On the Rocks was the best part, riding in the alpine was gorgeous. It was still fairly technical. Lots of big rocks, steep climbs, steep tight descents. We really didn't enjoy Lord of the Squirrels very much at all. It was a lonoooong, sustained downhill with lots of drops (2 feet maybe, so not huge, but enough) into tight, loose corners. Our bikes felt very under powered for it. Your Scout has a lot more travel though, so if this is the type of riding that you like, I'm sure you will be fine. I am so glad that we pushed our limits and rode this trail, but I don't feel the need to ever do it again. We had also planned to ride Top of the World, but the friend that we rode Lord of the Squirrels with is a Whistler local and she said that LOS is basically just a warm up for TOTW and if we found LOS difficult, we would really find TOTW difficult.

The Park is fun, but I highly recommend that you rent a downhill bike if you want to spend the day in the park. It's amazing what a difference a real downhill bike makes!

We absolutely loved the trails in the Lost Lake area. There was a lot of variety in there and the lake itself is an AMAZING place for a swim. We enjoyed the blue trails on the other side of the highway as well (Emerald Forest).

There is soooo much riding to be had in the Whistler area and such a huge variety of types of trails. If you narrow it down to what your favourite kind of riding is, I'm sure someone can help point you to the best areas. I wish we were going back again this summer but don't have enough holiday time. I'm planning the next trip for sure though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Technical with some flow and without big drops and jumps (but drops are ok if not over 2 to 3ft).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Wow, I've never heard of anybody that didn't like LOTS? I was riding a 6" travel bike but I thought it was a top 5 (EVER!!) trail run. Aside from the top 1/4 mile (.5 km for db3266) entry, I thought TOTW should have been a blue run down low and was easier than LOTS. Now if one was to go back into Khyber Pass/Middle of Nowhere/Kashmir, I'd agree that it's MUCH tougher than LOTS.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of anybody that didn't like LOTS? I was riding a 6" travel bike but I thought it was a top 5 (EVER!!) trail run. Aside from the top 1/4 mile (.5 km for db3266) entry, I thought TOTW should have been a blue run down low and was easier than LOTS. Now if one was to go back into Khyber Pass/Middle of Nowhere/Kashmir, I'd agree that it's MUCH tougher than LOTS.
    Been doing Whistler trip for past few years now. LOTS is good, but when we did it was kinda blown out in lots of spots. The climb is pretty intense, you should be in decent shape or you will be suffering. Its an all day ride for most people.
    TOTW to kyhber we use to do every year and is also epic. Like has been swid both these rides be prepared for backcountry travel. LOTS sees pretty decent traffic so you will likely see others if you need help, TOTW to Kyhber not so much. Also recoomend you ride with at least one other for these.
    But aside from those there are tons of trails. Lost lakes is usually our shakedown, easy spin days ride.
    Also, do not miss Squamish. You could prob skip Nelson/Half Nelson, its buff flow trail but one thats always recommended for first timers. But there are so many other great more technical trails there. Squamish is lusher and feels more Jungley, whistler more forest and square edge rocks. Squamish tends to be wet.
    Theres trails up in Pemberton too, but we only been there once so far.
    We used bike pirate a fair amount for trail descriptions and route planning.
    If u got squamish, stop into Tantalus bike shop and ask for route recommendations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi guys, many thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I will be arranging for a guide to show us around Whistler bike park, I think it will give us the most value for our time there. We can start off easy and then progress onto trails that best suit us. I think we will be able to cover more ground this way.

Same for Squamish. I will be arranging a trail guide.

I would rather pay the money for someone to show us around and maximise our time riding rather than getting lost / spending too much time deciding on trail choice etc and general wasted time getting to know the uplift routes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi guys, Figured better to run with an existing thread than create another one so I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I too will be hitting Whistler for the first time this year and have a question on a slightly different tack, how is bike security there??? I've heard there a thieves-a-plenty and love my bike very much. So what do you do when you are need a pee or a snack etc? I am travelling on my own so a buddy won't be available and I would prefer not to ride with a backpack and a bike lock each day.

Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    Hi guys, Figured better to run with an existing thread than create another one so I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I too will be hitting Whistler for the first time this year and have a question on a slightly different tack, how is bike security there??? I've heard there a thieves-a-plenty and love my bike very much. So what do you do when you are need a pee or a snack etc? I am travelling on my own so a buddy won't be available and I would prefer not to ride with a backpack and a bike lock each day.

Cheers Scott.
    Well, if you don't have a buddy to watch it, you may just have to take your chances but there are hundreds (1000's?) of bikes on the racks at the prime time of day. I presume that most people are eating in a place where they can keep an eye on their bikes. Some people bring locks in the morning and lock them to a rack to use later in the day if needed. The resort says they will remove them if they are left overnight which makes sense otherwise teh racks would be overwhelmed with various locks.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 10-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Well, if you don't have a buddy to watch it, you may just have to take your chances but there are hundreds (1000's?) of bikes on the racks at the prime time of day. I presume that most people are earring in a place where they can keep an eye on their bikes. Some people bring locks in the morning and lock them to a rack to use later in the day if needed. The resort says they will remove them if they are left overnight which makes sense otherwise teh racks would be overwhelmed with various locks.
    I bring a lock and leave it on a rack, then usually take it home at the end of the day but I've left them for months sometimes. Have had a couple removed but also once left one all winter and it stayed there haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Well, if you don't have a buddy to watch it, you may just have to take your chances but there are hundreds (1000's?) of bikes on the racks at the prime time of day. I presume that most people are earring in a place where they can keep an eye on their bikes. Some people bring locks in the morning and lock them to a rack to use later in the day if needed. The resort says they will remove them if they are left overnight which makes sense otherwise teh racks would be overwhelmed with various locks.
    Thanks mate. I'll have a think about it and see what I come up with.

Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I bring a lock and leave it on a rack, then usually take it home at the end of the day but I've left them for months sometimes. Have had a couple removed but also once left one all winter and it stayed there haha.
    Mmm ok cool that sounds like the go.

Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Lots of good info in this thread; thanks! When does the majority of the park usually open? I'm planning a trip to WBP next summer. I have a week of vacation on June 22-26. Is that at risk for being too early?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread; thanks! When does the majority of the park usually open? I'm planning a trip to WBP next summer. I have a week of vacation on June 22-26. Is that at risk for being too early?
    At that time the majority of the park is open but likely not top of the world, so you basically miss out on 1 trail that's nice views but all the best stuff would be open.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post

Cheers Scott.
    You could also use a bathroom or have a snack higher up on the mountain. I figure that most of the people up there are on their own bikes and would have to leave theirs behind, or if itís an opportunistic tourist then theyíd have to ride down. The purposeful thieves are at the base near their getaway vehicle. Thatís my logic anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The main thing is that the whole trip be by car, otherwise many places are simply inconvenient to visit, or you will spend too much time on their visits. You can rent a car on airbnb and the car here https://www.bocubo.com/car-rental. As for me, these will be the most important aspects of your journey.
    Last edited by BMN2018; 10-06-2019 at 01:04 PM.