3 to 4 days in the Alps... looking for pointers, suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

3 to 4 days in the Alps... looking for pointers, suggestions

Hi, I'll be travelling in Europe with my mom around early September. I want to tack on about 3 days of riding in the Alps to the trip... and somewhere interesting enough for a non mountain biker (i.e. my mom) to spend time.

I'm interested in Zermatt because of the iconic Matterhorn, but it also looks like there are quite a few tours out of the Chamonix / Mt. Blanc area.

There are many threads already on mtbr, and many tours to be found by searching, but I'm hoping for some first person recommendations (or pointers to good threads/tours/guides).

I'd also be interested in a low-key approach with a local guide versus a large tour group.

Anyone with firsthand experience? What's the riding like in those two areas... or any place else I should consider?

Thanks!

-8Trak / David

mtbr member
    Both Zermatt and Chamonix have an epic system of trails that you can access from the lifts. I would say that there's no need for a guide if you're sticking around those areas. The riding is not the kind of DH park style that you see in ski resorts in the USA (there are a couple flow trails in Zermatt) but chunky singletrack. Also, expect to be sharing the trails with LOTS of hikers!

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Chamonix is hell if you ask me. Think of your worst nightmare of a town pretending to be a Ski resort, idyllic and picturesque, then you've got Chamonix. Then add in the fact it's the most expensive place i've ever been to, then you're there in spades !
    Sure, Mont Blanc is impressive, but DAMN it's just a horrific little tourist town with crap food and stupid prices.

IMO, if viable, Morzine is a MUCH nicer place (and better ridinig) and plenty of non-bikey things to do in the surrounding areas.

mtbr member
    I did a week guided tour in the Alps 6years ago. It was a trip of a lifetime.

We did chamonix, morize, alpe d'huez,les deux alpes.

I would recommend alpe d'hues. That's the mega avalanche mountain. It is insane. Then Les duex Alps. So much descending my brakes boiled! Chamonix and morzine also awesome. Book as many days as you can and have a ball it is glorious!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Going to be in Chamonix for a couple days next week. Any bike shop recommendations for bike rentals?