2wk trip from TX to Yellowstone. Looking for a"easy" bikepark in CO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

2wk trip from TX to Yellowstone. Looking for a"easy" bikepark in CO

Hi all,

Me and the soon to be wife are going to Yellowstone for our honeymoon, Mid June. We were initially going to stay in the Yellowstone/Bozeman area for the entirety of our trip. But the wife said she would also like to see some of Colorado. So now we are thinking of staying somewhere in CO for a couple days on the way back from Yellowstone.

We both ride the local trails here in the Dallas, TX. area once or twice a week. So we are not beginners, but we also don't posses the skills (or bikes) to bomb the double black diamonds of Whisler. I would describe the trails around here as aggressive XC trails that we are both capable of handling 98% of what they have to offer.

Can anyone recommend a good bike park to visit in CO, that isn't too advanced. Hopefully not more than a few hours from highway 25.

Also does anyone have any recommendations of a trail/trails to ride in/near Bozeman or Yellowstone.

Edit: we are going to take our bikes with us. I have a 2016 DB Mason Comp (27.5+, HT trail bike), and the wife has a 2015 Specilized Jynx Sport. The Jynx can handle most everything around here but would probably rent a better bike for her at the bike park.

Thanks all!!
    Andy

It's carbon dontcha know.
    The closest DH resort in CO as you're heading south along I-25 would probably be Winter Park. It would be about an 80 minute diversion into the mountains along I-70/US 40. My wife and I rode there several times last year for her first year DH'ing and she had a blast.

But if you've been in Yellowstone, head south through Grand Teton National Park to Jackson, stay there for a couple of days to ride, then come the more scenic route through the mountains to approach Winter Park from the north avoiding the interstates.

Up in Bozeman we rode Bangtail Divide as a loop as one of our honeymoon rides:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/846258

If you decide to head to Jackson we enjoyed Phillip's Ridge https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4789752 and Game Creek Loop https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4107927

edit: Just realized you said mid-June. Snow might be a problem on those Jackson rides, not sure about Bozeman. Winter Park should be open around then...
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    May be worth considering Switchgrass trial on the way to CO. You'll drive right by it if you come up I35 to I70

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/538...ain-bike-trail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Damn, Awesome website for trails!!! Thanks guys! And thanks for the suggestions!

I don't want to sound like a big *****cat, but I don't think we would be able to complete some of those trails. lmao. This is one of our favorite trails and we are exhausted afterwards. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7022756 Only a little over 1000' of climbing total in 21 mi.

I don't know if we are going to be able to do 2 to 3 times that amount of climbing in the same travel distance. Especially when we are doing all of the other things in the area of Yellowstone. Hiking, sightseeing, other newlywed activities, hiking, rafting, hiking, other newlywed activities, hiking, etc. Not to mention all of this is at a MUCH higher altitude than we are used to. We've only been biking for a little over a year now and don't really have a lot of stamina yet.

One reason I was looking for more of a bike park experience, where we don't have to do the hard part (climbing) to do the fun part (descending).

I was looking at maybe Steamboat Springs, CO. But I'm looking to do this on our way back. Cause if one of us hurts ourselves bad, that's going to ruin the rest of the trip. It's not going to happen of course. But just in case. lol

That's all I've had a chance to look at so far today.