$1500 budget for 2 - where would you go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

$1500 budget for 2 - where would you go?

So my place of employment has rewarded me for being a loyal employee of 15yrs by giving me a $1500 allowance to take a trip of my choice. So my obvious first choice was to make it a mtb vacation with a friend. Just looking for ideas on where to go? I ride XC and have decent/moderate fitness. I am in the south central US so driving is a possibility depending on location. So what are some places I should consider? I have friends (who also ride) living in Crested Butte, CO, Salida, CO, & San Francisco, CA that I can stay with so those are promising too. Crested Butte would put me within a half day's drive of Moab. Just looking for some ideas!! Thanks!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I have my road trip budgets so dialed in that when I get home and add things up I'm only off about 1%. I don't track the budget during the trip but after lots of years of MTB road trips the budget fits my style of travel.

San Jose to Moab and 2,300 miles RT for two weeks runs us a bit over $2,000 but that is over of our normal budget for eating out, groceries, gasoline, and incidentals. I subtract out the normal expenses that we would have at home so that is the extra cost.

We sometimes camp but usually stay in cheap motels and RV park cabins at around $65/night. Our van gets 21 mpg.

Dining out can blow away a road trip budget. Wife and I share dinners out but we like wine and that adds up in restaurants. My wife loves to cook so we cook at the picnic tables in front of RV park cabins sometimes. Fruita and Moab have very nice RV parks. Our preference in Moab is Moab Valley Resort with their sister site Canyonlands downtown as our second choice. KOA is nice but the bathrooms are a bit small if they are crowded. I don't like standing in line for the toilet or shower.

Camping with showers is usually around $34/night. However, if you need to charge devices / computers and want to be comfortable in mountain or desert weather then camping rather sucks depending on the time of the year and location. High altitude camping near a lake or river is great! Camping in a desert sandstorm or two days of rain really sucks.

Of course you could cook for yourselves, stay in primitive camps along the Colorado River or wherever and bath in it, and save a lot of money. If you travel that way then $1,500 will get both of you 4 weeks on the road. I find that after a long ride I really like a hot shower. Backpacking I can go for weeks just bathing in streams and lakes. Also, with all the gear we have in MTB it is nice to have a room or cabin to lay it out on the tables and extra beds. We bring two rollup tables for our large tent or the cabins or motel rooms.

Hope this helps.

Budget about $100 each for shuttles or lifts.

mtbr member
    That's some great info from jmpreston...I'm impressed that you even plan a budget as I never think about it. Spending money is the only thing I do to support Obama.

For the OP, I can tell you that 10 days in Oregon is going to cost $2000 for lodging but we have (3) bedroom houses we're staying in and it will be split (3) ways. Gas will be $500 max for us so another $175 each. With your ability to stay with friends, I'm thinking $1500 could last you a month if you watch your food budget. Drink Olympia and Keystone instead of micro-brews and you should be fine

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Drink Olympia?! Is that still a brand? When I lived in central WA in 1970 we would drive to Idaho to buy Coors :-) (Age 18) Travel a bit less and drink good stuff instead.

Moab Brewery has their menu online for budgeting.

Sedona will bust budgets. They seem to hate camps with showers. Sedona Village Inn is the cheapest in the area and right next to a great trailhead! Room 11 on the corner has a gas fireplace, decent view, and is a suite but these rooms are hard to reserve now. Camping in the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon is great if you don't want to shower. You can splash around in the creek after a ride without soap.

:-)

mtbr member
    I vote for spending the whole wad in Crested Butte!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would go to Park City, Utah....It is absolutely amazing with over 400 miles of singletrack. Weather is perfect in the Summer and there are thousands of condos to rent at much discounted rates. Southwest flies there and the PC is 22 miles from the airport. Also Moab is 4 1/2 hours away....I would do Gooseberry Mesa outside of Zion

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I rode the South Rim / Hidden Canyon loop on Gooseberry Mesa again a few weeks ago. It is not XC or intermediate at all. It has some of the most challenging riding I've seen in the western U.S. I walk a lot of it.

And I love it! Sure, a lot of over-the-top challenging but there are a lot of technical treats for intermediates and awesome rock formations to ride. Nothing close to it in Moab, Fruita, elsewhere.

If you want XC then the St. George / Hurricane area isn't much of a destination compared to others mentioned in this thread. There are good flowy trails there but not enough for a destination trip. However, if you add the slick rock areas, some crud riding on the mesas that are moderately technical, and ride The Goose you will be very busy for a while and have a blast.

$35 / night and up lodging in St. George. Primitive camping on The Goose and at the Guacamole trailheads. Zion River RV Resort has camping with nice amenities for $43/night.

Let us know what you decide!