Zion Area Trails for a beginer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Zion Area Trails for a beginer?

Myself and my girlfriend will be camping in Zion at the Watchman campground in Mid April for 4 nights. I consider myself an intermidiate rider and my GF a strong beginer as far as skill level. We plan on Mountain Biking 2 of the 4 days one day will be up the canyon on the paved road up to the Narrows,the other I was thinking either gooseberry or the JEM trail we are open to other sugestions. Anyhow Im not sure I want to take the GF up to the gooseberry area Im thinking she will have a hard time. I thought about the main jeep road that travels east,west for her and I could branch off the trail and hit up some harder stuff and meet up with her? not sure this would work how about the practice area is this suited for a begineer? what are the easy trails that branch off the main jeep trail.

Also if we do the jem trail as a loop we would like to start the climb section first and ride the single trac down after looking on the Utah Mountain bike section It seems hard to follow the jeep road up to the trail head any sugestions for us to stay on the right coarse if the trail is marked or not? thanks.

I'd rather be biking...
    If your not sure about the goose you can try out slickrock swamp(rockville bench) first, its right in town and is the same kind of riding. Either way I still thing you should take her up to gooseberry she will be fine. Take her on the practice loop first and see how she feels. Ive taken girls that are just learning to ride and they actually did pretty good and enjoyed themselves. The south rim seems to have more tech riding sections so if she seems kinda iffy about it you can ride the north rim with her and she wont have to walk as many sections as the southern. If she likes that take her on the whole loop!
    either way go the the point at the end and look off and eat lunch!

Heading up the road on the JEM trail is pretty easy, the UMB website i think scares people off by its exact directions. its really easy though. Park at the sheep bridge parking area at the end of JEM trail, just outside of the town of virgin.(cross bridge take first right on the doubletrack to a small parking area) Head south on the main dirt road. At about 2 miles you will go through a large wash and at 2.3 miles there will be another wash that looks like you could drive a car up it to your left, thats the turn off. There is some singletrack that goes in and out of the wash but they both end up in the same spot so no worries. just look for the bike tire treds, that will take you to the top of the wash and then to a road that will take you south again to the trailhead.Just remember the top of the jem trail starts at the end of the large mesa that you will be starring at when your heading up the road. Leave early and bring 70-100 oz per person because it can get pretty warm pedaling all the way to the top for a beginner if there is no breeze. You will both love the flowing singletrack

NOT Team Sanchez
    take her down the pioneer shopper
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Zion

Thanks for the reply shelbster. Were still not sure which of the 2 we will ride? either the JEM or the Goose area thanks..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For a beginner, I'd definitely do the JEM Trail. We just took 3 beginners down it, and the advanced riders still had plenty of fun.

footage:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16347

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Jem or Gooseberry

Thanks for the reply. I really wanted to hit up the Gooseberry mesa trail BUT my GF would probably not like it. So the JEM trail will most likely be our ride. Are the vies and scenary pretty nice on the JEM trail?? thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic85
    . Are the vies and scenary pretty nice on the JEM trail?? thanks
    Here are some photos from a different time on the JEM to give you an idea:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9226

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic85
    Thanks for the reply. I really wanted to hit up the Gooseberry mesa trail BUT my GF would probably not like it. So the JEM trail will most likely be our ride. Are the vies and scenary pretty nice on the JEM trail?? thanks
    I took a ~65 year old man and woman on Goose years ago. Both were OK trail riders, but not technical riders. Both did great and loved it. Stay on the north side of the main road, Practice Trail and the road out to the point. Remember there is no crime in walking anything you don't want to ride. Once the beginner gets the hang of things you can decide how much you are up for.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Members who have read this thread: 0