Yet another Moab trip thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Yet another Moab trip thread

Sorry for the thread guys but I did a search and there was way too much info to weed through. So I'll get right to the point. I'm organizing a trip to Moab in the middle of October and we have the logistics pretty much nailed down. Now I want to get the rides planned out so that we don't miss any of the good stuff. We're coming from MA and we're all very solid riders that will ride pretty much anything but we'll be bringing 6x6 bikes that are on the heavier side. We tend to prefer the burlier more technical trails but fast and flowy is fantastic as well. We can, and are willing to, climb but only if there is a solid reward. I wouldn't mind seeing some freeride stuff but the group wouldn't be up for that.

We're flying into Denver on Wednesday and meeting some friends in Boulder. We'll get our stuff situated and start driving towards Moab Thursday a.m. Our flight leaves Denver on Monday so we'll get 4 solid days of riding in. The guys that we're meeting out there have planned that we'll be in Moab the whole time but I've heard there's killer stuff in Fruita and Grand Junction as well as in Moab. What can't we miss while we're out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There is only one real shuttle ride in Moab, and that is Porcupine(UPS/LPS), so you'll have to get used to climbing. Pritchett Canyon and Gemini Bridges/Gold Bar/Portal can also be done as shuttles, but you still have some climbing.

Porcupine(UPS/LPS) should still be open unless there has been early snow. That is a must. Add Hazard on if it is still open (it just depends on the snow).

Amasa Back

Poison Spider/Portal Trail

Bartlett Wash for some freeride terrain.

Sovereign/Baby Steps for desert singletrack.

Slickrock, just because it is Slickrock.

If you get a late start on Thursday, or if you have time on your return, you can hit Fruita, which is 90 minutes east of Moab, right on the way. There are plenty of threads on the Western CO forum describing those trails.

Keep in mind it is 6 hours to Moab from Boulder if you go straight through, and by mid-October it is getting dark around 6:15. There is often snow on I-70 between Boulder and Moab in October, also.

Bring clothing to cover you for anything from 20 to 80 degrees.

mtbr member
    Hey Woody, let me know when you'll be there. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to Moab this fall once my arm heals up.

I know what you like and would suggest:

Burro Down (The Whole Enchilada) weather permiting. There's a good possibility of it still being open mid-October but there's also a pretty good chance of early snows that high. You should at least be able to do Hazard/Kokopelli/UPS/LPS/Porc. Great ride.

Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson's: Fun climby tech on the up and steep droppy, switch backy fun on the way down. A second run up Amasa then back down is worth it too. Lots of fun launching opportunities on the way back down Amasa.

Gold Bar rim (singletrack blue dot if they aren't ticketing) to Portal. Nice gradual techy climb, then fun tech, droppy fun along the rim and one of the funnest descents in Moab at the end on the Portal trail.

Those are my three favorites. There's some other off-the-chart stuff you should try and hook up too. Ask at Uranium Cycles.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Hey Woody, let me know when you'll be there. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to Moab this fall once my arm heals up.

I know what you like and would suggest:

Burro Down (The Whole Enchilada) weather permiting. There's a good possibility of it still being open mid-October but there's also a pretty good chance of early snows that high. You should at least be able to do Hazard/Kokopelli/UPS/LPS/Porc. Great ride.

Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson's: Fun climby tech on the up and steep droppy, switch backy fun on the way down. A second run up Amasa then back down is worth it too. Lots of fun launching opportunities on the way back down Amasa.

Gold Bar rim (singletrack blue dot if they aren't ticketing) to Portal. Nice gradual techy climb, then fun tech, droppy fun along the rim and one of the funnest descents in Moab at the end on the Portal trail.

Those are my three favorites. There's some other off-the-chart stuff you should try and hook up too. Ask at Uranium Cycles.
    Thanks for the local knowledge! Some of the boys we're going with know this stuff but I want to make sure they don't miss anything

We'll be arriving in Denver on 10/20 and leaving on 10/25. We have 2 large RV's rented and 2 RV sites reserved. It's a large crew but feel free to PM me if you want to join in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll be there from the 7th to11th of Oct for a few days of riding and am also coming from MA. I can give you a few days of warning if something's not open due to weather.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    once my arm heals up
    ???

hfly <-- inquires further of Grandpa KRob

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Grandpa KRob (I can only call him that because he's younger than me by half) got a bit zesty on his Mountain-type Bicycle and broke his arm off a few weeks ago.

It must be getting pretty solid again by now? Collarbone, wasn't it?

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    There is only one real shuttle ride in Moab, and that is Porcupine(UPS/LPS), so you'll have to get used to climbing. Pritchett Canyon and Gemini Bridges/Gold Bar/Portal can also be done as shuttles, but you still have some climbing.

Porcupine(UPS/LPS) should still be open unless there has been early snow. That is a must. Add Hazard on if it is still open (it just depends on the snow).

Amasa Back

Poison Spider/Portal Trail

Bartlett Wash for some freeride terrain.

Sovereign/Baby Steps for desert singletrack.

Slickrock, just because it is Slickrock.

If you get a late start on Thursday, or if you have time on your return, you can hit Fruita, which is 90 minutes east of Moab, right on the way. There are plenty of threads on the Western CO forum describing those trails.

Keep in mind it is 6 hours to Moab from Boulder if you go straight through, and by mid-October it is getting dark around 6:15. There is often snow on I-70 between Boulder and Moab in October, also.

Bring clothing to cover you for anything from 20 to 80 degrees.
    this ^^^

make sure you eat at the Thai restaurant, best in town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    ???

hfly <-- inquires further of Grandpa KRob
    JMH pretty much has it, except it was a radial head fracture. See this thread for the rest of the story. I guess once you're a grandpa you don't bounce quite as well.

The elbow is doing quite well. I'm about 2/3 to 3/4 of full range of motion and am taking minimal pain meds (IPU or APAP PRN). Doctor said 4 weeks and it's been two.

I'm starting to wonder if my wrist didn't get torqued or broken too though. As I get more motion and functionality out of my elbow I notice it hurts to move my hand up or down very far. Back to X-ray, I guess.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

More Chasmism
    Sorry to hear that, KRob, but congrats on choosing the optimal fracture of all the "axial forearm load" choices.

Definitely get the wrist reimaged to check for one of those pesky, hidden navicular fxs.

You have a date range for your sojourn out here?

hfly

P.S. Doesn't "Sophie" mean "Wisdom" in Koine Greek?

To the O.P., KRob's suggestions are spot on -- representing the "big three" of big bike rides. I'd throw in a little Bartlett playtime as well.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that, KRob, but congrats on choosing the optimal fracture of all the "axial forearm load" choices.
    At least I'm good at something. Didn't even need a cast. Just a little surgery to remove some fragments.

You have a date range for your sojourn out here?
    Yes. Sometime between first of October and May. But hopefully this fall.

P.S. Doesn't "Sophie" mean "Wisdom" in Koine Greek?
    Does it? Hopefully some of her wisdom will rub off on grandpa.

To the O.P., KRob's suggestions are spot on -- representing the "big three" of big bike rides. I'd throw in a little Bartlett playtime as well.
    Funny you should mention that. After posting those three rides, I about edited to add a suggestion for Bartlett Wash or Tusher Canyon. Fun slickrock playgrounds.

Oh, and to woodyak: Stopping in Grand Junction on the way back through on Sunday for some Lunch Loops (Free Lunch, Pucker Up, Holy Cross) would be well worth your time.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0