Yellow Fork Canyon to be mined by Kennecot!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yellow Fork Canyon to be mined by Kennecot!

I just rode this trail for the first time the other week and really, really like it. The only MTB trail on the west side of the valley...

Such a shame, don't they own most of the oquirres, can they please dig a hole somewhere else...

I dunno if there is anything that can be done....

Calling David Witherspoon........

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4303398

Kennecott eyes 80 acres for mining claims
    September 19th, 2008 @ 9:45am
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Kennecott Utah Copper wants to look for minerals on 80 acres in Yellow Fork Canyon.

The company filed a notice earlier this week of its intent to locate mining claims in the area. Salt Lake County owns 800 acres of open space in the canyon.

Eighty of those, though, are subject to a 1916 law that allows mineral-rights claims to be filed.

Mayor Peter Corroon says he thinks Kennecott already has plenty of land to explore.

He says he wants the land to remain open for public enjoyment.

Jun 2008
    well at least you can be thankful that they are not turning it into "wilderness"

Apr 2007
    'Preciate the heads-up. (fyi, direct email to me or a call to the SOC office will hit the nerve centers quicker - mtbr notifications usually get junkfiltered because of the ads.)

Don't know anything about the battlefield yet. I've hit the alarm button, buuuut - the more facts you can give us, the faster everything will be, and there are a lot of other issues on SOC's plate right now. (As usual.)

A search also turns up DesNews & SLTrib articles.

Looks like there may be hope, since (apparently) Kennecott doesn't own the land and doesn't own claims there (yet). Otherwise, it'd probably be a done deal.

Do you have a map or reasonably detailed trail description for this trail? Is the trail an "official" one? That is, does it have a name, signs, or a constructed trailhead? Has any level of gov't (state, county, city, neighborhood) ever done any construction or maintenance on it? Have any organized groups done any trail work or trail cleanup days on it? Even if it's just the boy scouts.

My initial reaction is: since Corroon's already on it and on your side, you got a pretty decent shot at keeping the trail open and the land around it intact - if enough people rally 'round his position. A politician can take any stand he likes, but without clear and strong public backing, he's just a paper tiger. I'm sure Kennecott knows that; Corroon probably does too.

All Kennecott has going for them is the law, the Republican Party, and more money than God.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm glad you chimed in Mr. Witherspoon, and for alerting the forces at SOC. I don't have answers to a lot of your questions other than there is an established trailhead, some rudimentary trail markers and a very sweet picnic area up in the canyon with picnic tables, probably 10 of them. It looks like that area is maintained but not a whole lot, definitely not the well manicured trails and facilities a la Millcreek. Salt Lake County Parks and Rec website mentions it under regional parks, this is all they have, no map or anything...

"Yellow Fork Canyon
    8094 West Rose Canyon Rd (15000 S)
    (Undeveloped except for a few tables, some horse trails and hiking paths)"

Utah Mountain Biking has a pretty good trail map... I prefer the counterclockwise route. There is some very tasty singletrack and you also get some above treeline views believe it or not.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/yellow.htm

Some words here...

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4583crx.aspx

Yellow Fork Canyon

I haven't really gotten into politics on the local level since moving here 3 years ago, I was advised that it'll make me a ton crazier than politics on the national level. I imagine with Kennecott's favorable economic and political positions in this Reddest of Red states that if they really want to dig on 10% of Yellow Fork they'll be able to pull it off. You should read the comments on KSL, some people really are stoked about another big hole in the ground out on the west side. What little I know about Caroon he seems like a stand up guy, spends a lot of time talking to folks like us. I have sent him my opinion on the matter and offered any support I can give, I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same.

http://www.slco.org/tools/mail/mail....OID=11100&CC=0

BTW, I think I'm gonna ride Yellow Fork this Wed, prolly around 9AM ish. Should be epic two days after the rain, good and sticky and none too wet. If anyone want's to ride post here or send a PM. There's a bike shop in Herriman, I think they were involved in getting the skatepark out there. I think I'll hit them up to see where they stand on the issue.

...a wiggle theres a way
    i just rode this trail two weeks ago -- its a very fun quick trail -- with some great climbs once you pass the picnic tables.

I've seen a lot of people use it for a)horseback riding, (B)trail running and (c) mountain biking

don't have hard numbers but when i visit the trail once or twice yearly there is at least one or two people i encounter

hope we can keep it open to the public!

joe

Apr 2007
    I'm not gonna have time to do anything on this issue beyond bringing it up in the next SOC board meeting.

But if I did, my strategy would be to prepare by (1) ensuring clear official recognition, (2) networking the user base for quick response, and (3) staying alert.

That's based on my perception that Kennecott is not going to roll with the bulldozers just yet - that they're only thinking about prospecting - so you have time to lay some defensive groundwork and organize some ready-to-go minutemen.

(1) Make sure the trail is officially, legally recognized and mapped by the landowners (SLCo) as a recreational and natural open space amenity that is used by mountain bikers, hikers, and anyone else you feel like including. This should be easy, since it sounds like it's already been done - just get the info from the County (not so easy).

Shore that recognition up with trailhead signs, maps, usage information, and trail maintenance / cleanup. Get the County to pay for it, offer volunteers to do the work. Trail cleanup is especially easy, so it'd be a good way to get started.

(2) Create or get wired into a group of people who use that trail and like that area the way it is (not just the trail, either - anybody who likes any of that land.) Easiest way to do that is (2a) join SOC and tell them what your concern is; and (2b) talk to people who use the area when you're out there. Just casually - so people know you and know the issue, so when something happens, they're ready to say "yeah, I like this place the way it is." SOC has the expertise and the contacts to get the word out loud and clear, on a moment's notice, when something starts happening - but they won't know unless someone tells 'em.

(3) Be alert. Keep your eyes peeled for any news that might impact the area. Watch for any signs of prospecting, on the ground or in the newspapers. Contact the BLM and get on their mailing list for anything that might affect the area. Develop contacts with Kennecott people (PR folks to start with, anyone else would be better) and local councils.

Good luck!

Apr 2007
    Butterfield Canyon is first up on Kennecott's list. The land is owned by Salt Lake County.

Does anyone use this trail?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/butterfd.htm

From the BLM's ENVIRONMENTAL NOTIFICATION BULLETIN BOARD (search on NEPA Log Number):
    Project Name: Kennecott Exploration Co (KEX)
    South Butterfield Plan of Operations
    NEPA Log Number: UT-020-09-001
    Field Office/Code: Salt Lake Field Office-UT020
    File/Serial Number: UTU-77847
    Document Type: Environmental Assessment Primary Program:

Project Description: KEX has proposed to conduct two primary geophysical surveys, a 2-D induced polarization (IP) and a magnetotellurics (MT) survey(s), on unpatented mining claims held by KEX located on federal minerals reserved under the Stock Raising Homestead Act (SRHA). The surface estate in this area is owned by Salt Lake County. The proposed geophysical survey would be minimal impact with no mechanized equipment and using only existing roads and routes in the area.

30 DAY PUBLIC COMMENT/REVIEW PERIOD BEGINS 10/2/08
    ... and ends Nov. 2.

Apr 2007
    Last edited by David Witherspoon; 10-09-2008 at 01:33 PM.

...a wiggle theres a way
    Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon
    Butterfield Canyon is first up on Kennecott's list. The land is owned by Salt Lake County.

Does anyone use this trail?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/butterfd.htm.
    i rode it twice this year -- was thinking about doing it one more time before the snow starts falling and makes it impassable

joe

Members who have read this thread: 0