Slightly askew

Yelli Screamy on the rocks?

We're planning a trip to Moab in the spring and was wondering if I would survive on my Canfield Yelli? We're planning on riding Capt. Ahab, The Whole Enchilada and a few more. I ride the trails in Pisgah NC weekly so I'm used to technical riding. Any AM hardtail ride reports would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Zero charisma

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    It is definitely doable, though it may not be enjoyable. If I were you, I would rent a nice full squish bike for the trip.

I have done Moab on a hardtail a few times. It just beats you up. If you are going for a few days (which I assume you are coming all the way from NC), I would rent a full squish just for the endurance and fun factor. After one day on the hardtail, you will just be beat for days 2 - the end of your trip. Moab is techy, but it is also really bumpy. Everywhere. Little bumps and big bumps. Everywhere. Almost all the time. Some of the brand trails are smoother, but it is all relative. Ahab on a hardtail, followed by days of more riding - no thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Slightly askew
    Thanks for the reply Dr. I think I'm going to take a look at renting a fs bike when we get out there. Any shops you recommend for rental? Possibly a Santa Cruz Hightower.
    Zero charisma

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Moab Cyclery is good. They have Santa Cruz too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rode my YS in Moab last spring for 6 days. If you're accustomed to riding a hardtail, it isn't too bad. I did rent a FS bike on the day we rode The Whole Enchilada.

mtbr member
    Moab on a YS is totally doable.

Heck, I somehow managed to survive multiple trips to Moab back in the '90s on a hard tail with a POS rockshox judy SL with a whopping 63mm of poorly damped elastomer travel and canti brakes.

Ahab and the Whole Enchilada didn't exist back then, but the roughest section of any of those trails is the jeep road sections on the classic Porcupine ride. People still whine about those sections even with long travel full squish bikes.

4ish years ago, I did Moab again on an XC carbon race hardtail with a 71.5 head angle and a slightly less POS 100mm travel reba. Rode the partial enchilada from Kokopelli segment down, which is likely all you'll be able to do in spring depending on conditions. Also rode Ahab about 2 weeks after it officially opened. Didn't have any problem on either.

All told, I've probably done a 4 or 5 Moab trips on hardtails far less cable than the YS, so I wouldn't have any reservations with riding my YS in Moab. If you're used to riding tech on a hardtail, and know how to ride with some finesse, it's not a big deal. Get some burly tires though.

Now, I'm not saying that some sections aren't more comfortable on a FS bike, or that you couldn't have more fun on a FS bike., but it isn't a necessity. I've also done Moab on a Canfield The One with 200mm travel, and I'm heading back to Moab in April and will be on a Canfield Balance, so I get it.

But if I had the room to bring a second bike along, I'd probably bring my Yelli too.

Also depends on who you are riding with. If you're riding with faster riders who will be on FS, then maybe renting the whole trip would be a good idea.

mtbr member
    deleted....double post