XC race tire choice for Brian Head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XC race tire choice for Brian Head

One of my customers is going to race there this weekend and I was hoping some of you MTBR guys could help me out.Whats a good tire to race there? Do I need to set him up with tubrless? Any input would be great

Thnks Tony G

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I like XC tires with multiple small-ish knobs to handle the loose over hardpack and taller side knobs for cornering in the alpine moondust. Rounded, low profiles like the Karma grip and roll well in the gravel but IMO they get overpowered in the loose turns.

That's just my 2 cents, other's results may vary.

Been running Ignitors for two seasons with much satisfaction, but anything that fits that description should be pretty good! Chuky runs 2.1 Nevegals and they grip all day. Not the fastest rollers though.

I really considered this race and I haven't raced in years. But the entry fee scared me off.

mtbr member
    August 21-24 American Mountain Classic - Call (435) 677-3101 for details.

August 29- September 1 National Mountain Bike Series - Finals - Call (909) 633-6729 for details.

You may want to call these guys and ask them what they would recommend for the type of course they are running. You may want to tell them a little bit about your friend and his bike set up as well.

I have Stans rims and run non-UST, tubeless on them with great results in the 26 to 30 PSI range.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I have only ridden on VRR trail and can say its buff single track for 50 percent of it and small not loose rock gardens for 50 percent of it.

I would think about running a 2.35 ignitors up front and 2.1 in the rear.

and yes 400 bucks is alot of money to race. Good luck against Tinker!!!

mtbr member
    Thx for the info. My racer is on a 2009 Anthem X in the 65+ EXP class ,He need all the grip he can get . I got some Nevegals. . Maybe Ill put a stans kit on as well..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brianhead = steep long climbs

I would forget about 2.25 anything and get something light. Personally I would run and S-works captain tubeless up front @510 grams, and a more durable captain pro on the back @600 grams.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0