X-Post: Riding in Moab and Jeep Week?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

X-Post: Riding in Moab and Jeep Week?

Proly should have posted this here first but this is an X-Post:

Im headed to Moab on Sat (first trip there) and know Jeep week is going on...Ive heard it can be chaos. Has anyone had first hand experience riding down there during Jeep week? Potential issues going there (ie user conflict or camping) at that time?

Should I just go to Fruita instead?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Just roll it......

Yes and Yes.

Yes, I've been there during jeep week and yes, you should go to Fruita instead.

Sorry to say it man, but poor planning. We made the exact same mistake last year. We found out about it beforehand, but we thought "how bad could it really be?". While the trails like Slickrock and Porc Rim aren't overrun with jeeps, they do intersect their routes in certain areas and it can be a minor inconvenience. Other trails like Amasa Back are basically awash in jeeps and you won't be able to ride them the way they should be ridden.

Beyond that, the bigger issue is around the logistics of getting ANYWHERE. Every restaurant is full with lines out the door (regardless of time), the gas stations are totally full and the supermarkets are FULL. Plus, you have thousands of jeeps everywhere so getting somewhere isn't a 5 or 10 minute drive like it should be - rather a 30 - 45 minute drive. I shite you not.

I haven't even mentioned the camping situation or finding a hotel. You get the picture. We're heading down the week after Jeep Week to avoid that mess....

EB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks EB, it just sounds worse and worse. Unfortunately I couldnt plan around my GF's spring break.....shoulda sucked it up and gone to Costa Rica again. Oh well......

Any fruita recommendations other than the info that is available on the web?

Just roll it......

yeah, dude....

....a week on the Nicoya Peninsula surfing woulda been better than hanging with a bunch of drunken jeepers. On the flip side, you do get to see some good carnage like jeeps flipping and stuff like that. Unfortunately, every year some yahoos end up dying. Last year there were 2 deaths one night and the locals didn't even bat an eye at it when I told them about it. Pretty commonplace during that week.

FWIW, I have some buddies that are way into jeeping and they said that they would never go down there for jeep week. Too many yahoos clogging the area up......

eb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    LoL...natural selection in action I guess. I guess that's why my big bike doesnt have dual 40oz holders on the top tube- although.....

Yeah Went to Mal Pais this time last year. Surfed good waves every day, mellow vibe, cheap.......

Just roll it......

Mal Pais is where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

Have a few good buddies living down there and two own "the surf shop" (Brian and Action Dave) and the other used to dj three nights a week at Tropicana on Playa Carmen. Been there a couple of times and spent 3 weeks there 2 years ago. Good times.....

eb