Wurd Dood..... Stucki Springs is Tight....Bear Claw Poppy is Junk.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wurd Dood..... Stucki Springs is Tight....Bear Claw Poppy is Junk.

I went to St. George this weekend with the fam because I wanted to take my 10 year-old riding on some fun, easy trails. We did the Bear Claw Poppy micro loop up (nice little trail) then goofed around on Clavicle Hill (I can't believe he rode down that!) then came back down Bear Claw proper.

Wasea04 had mentioned that BCP was a little rough this spring but I was pretty surprised how rough. HOLY STUPID HIKERS BATMAN!! Isn't it pretty obvious to these folks that their feet are sinking into the mud 2-3 inches and when that stuff dries hard like concrete it's going to leave the trail junk for the rest of the season? My son thought it was fun bouncing along his little 24" hardtail with a pretend suspension fork, but I had four inches of good travel and it about rattled my teeth out. Sheesh. Still a fun trail.... but would be ooooh so much more fun if it were smoove (or if I had 5inches of plush coil).

I hadn't ridden Stucki Springs since my conversion to Super Chunk and big bikes three or four years ago so later I went back out on my own and hammered a super fun out-and-back on SS. Waa Hoo. This ride was sooo much better than BCP. The downs are more sustained, the speeds are higher, and because it's too far out there for the Bloomington casual hikers to get to easily..... it's still buff and fast.

Just sayin'. Rant off.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I'd rather be biking...
    Stucki springs is a fun fast xc trail that is always a bonus when added to the gv loop. Its too bad BCP is trashed, but we cant blame all the hikers. There are plenty of bike tracks left in the mud from irresponsible riders.....I see a lot more "younger" and casual riders on that trail then any other local trail. So a lot of people taking the fam out on there yearly ride don't know anything about respect of the trails. Was at the bike shop a few months or so ago and he told me how a guy came in the store and was talking to him about that trail and how he was riding with a large group of 10 riders after we recieved all that snow. They started at the bottom and rode up the trail through the mud and he kept asking them when they would be turning around and all they could say was "It will get better its only like this for a second." He was ashamed that he rode that trail in that condition and how his friends were totally fine going through the mud. They were going around puddles and making the trail wider and more rutted out. It's a Shame because that was such a classic trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm with shelbster...... when I was there this winter as it was drying, the most damage i saw anywhere was done by cyclists not by hikers..... really bummed me out because we are the user group more likely to fix things not cause such havoc... made me fully well realize why the fully radical eco-monkeys would be justified in disliking us.

mtbr member
    Yeah, at this point it's just bumpy concrete but the bumps seem to be much more in line with footprints than tire ruts to me.... but I'm sure it was a lot easier to identify when they were fresh. I imagine there's enough blame to go around.

Maybe a sign at the trailhead would help. Some people just don't realize the damage that is caused to that kind of trail when it's muddy.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-26-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I'd rather be biking...
    Maybe a sign at the trailhead would help. Some people just don't realize the damage that is caused to that kind of trail when it's muddy.
    A sign would be a great idea. To warn people about using the trail while wet and how much damage can occur. That soil just is plan out bad when its wet.

Members who have read this thread: 0