Work in Utah?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Work in Utah?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Work in Utah?

Hello All,

I am preparing my big move from boring ole central Illinois and coming out west to start over! One of my best friends is living in Salt Lake right now so I've got a place to crash there until I get my bearings. What I'm wondering is, with no knowledge of Utah what-so-ever, where is the best place to possibly make my home. I'm in engineering but would love to get out and do something more fun and enjoyable. So basically, is there a town/city that offers much more than SLC?

Is there a hands down best location in Utah for MTB'ers?

thanks all and looking forward to riding with new people this year

BQ

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You could move out into the Uinta basin and do oil and gas, especially if you're a mechanical engineer.

mtbr member
    Any way to post the names of some of those companies looking for mechanical engineers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is a ton of manufacturing in Utah, it's a great place to be an engineer. You'll be spooked a little by it's cultural differences but Salt Lake City is actually awesome and you should have a pretty decent job hopefully relatively soon. The best place to be a MTBer is probably here in Park City (tons of trails surrounding the whole city - most of it pretty tame but there are some good technical trails and lots of good climbing). I live here in Park City and it's great, but it's not for everyone. Also the commute to SLC is a good 35-45 min on average for any real job. Almost no engineering and piss poor underpaying jobs up here.

good luck,
    Andre

Waiting for Godot
    try to target the upper foothills of salt lake city or anything in park city.

i am right at the mouth of a popular canyon for riding and i basicly ride there or to the other canyons, then up the mountain road to the trail and then ride the trails.

its a mtb paradise
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the info guys. I'd like to base my job around my hobbies first and foremost, but if that fails then I'll look into the engineering marketplace to see what's out there.

Either way I will be in Utah this summer so maybe I'll meet up with some of you. I'll keep an eye out on this forum for big rides.

thanks

BQ

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    orem is pretty nice though if you find a job here. there's some nice stuff around, and sundance is pretty hella close so it's easy to go for a quick ride. you can get a season pass for pretty cheap, or if you like to pedal...just pedal up and ride down and it's free

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Any way to post the names of some of those companies looking for mechanical engineers?
    Almost any oil field service company should have an interest in you, be warned though, you will start at the bottom of the totem pole, but if you're any good you can move quickly.

Just google map vernal and search nearby for engineering, you'll get a ton of hits.

mtbr member
    A search as you mentioned turned up a bunch of civil engineering companies. None for a mechanical engineer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    A search as you mentioned turned up a bunch of civil engineering companies. None for a mechanical engineer.
    I had a bunch of stuff like Halliburton, BJ services, Baker Hughes etc... all of which like mechanical engineers (actually, they like any engineer that can do their work, but field work isn't for most people)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You should be fine. As mentioned once you're in, if you're decent, you can move up quickly. Also, there are a ton of gear manufacturers locally as well. Petzl, Black Diamond, Suunto, Saloman, and at least a 1/2 dozen or dozen more off the top of my head. All use mechanical engineers heavily (but generally pay a little crappier though - 'its the experience').

You definitely want to be in SLC or possibly Park City. Also avoid SLC suburbs like Sandy/Murray etc, try to stick to downtown SLC, the U area, Sugarhouse until you get your bearings. The problem with Park City is people quickly become "Park City people" and never leave. Down to SLC is a 'big transition' mostly because of the air quality. It is killer out here though, but it takes a little time to get used to it culturally, how the area's laid out, etc. Otherwise it will be too much of a mind **** as what is normal other areas is a little odd compared to other states (and I mean that with 100% respect).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Moab is the best place in Utah for MTB, 4x4, hiking, fishing, river rafting, photography, dirt biking, ATVing. It also has great backcountry skiing, and Lake Powell is only two hours away.

What? You need a JOB?

Never mind.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Hill Air Force Base Is Always Hiring Engineers; Check Out The Palace Program.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie
    Hill Air Force Base Is Always Hiring Engineers; Check Out The Palace Program.
    Do tell more.

Granted the Air Force is always hiring, but how can I be certain to end up there? Is there a link specifically for civilian jobs there?

I did a search for "the palace program" and found nothing. Fill us in!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I meant to say Palace Acquire program. Sorry about that. Anyway, check out the Randolph Air Force Base web site; look for civilian employment link (internships), They recruit for all areas nationwide. Hill is always looking for engineers. You can also check out usajobs.gov for more info. Occaisionally they have hiring freezes, but engineering occupations tend to be immune. If you run into roadblocks, be persistant.

Members who have read this thread: 0