Work Trip - Looking to ride for 1 day, maybe 2 - NEED advice from locals...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Work Trip - Looking to ride for 1 day, maybe 2 - NEED advice from locals...

Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help. I tried to skim the other threads on the front page so as not to repeat anything but still feel like I might learn something useful by proposing my situation.

I'm heading to SLC May 18-22. It's a work trip, and I've never been to Utah before. I'll be near downtown - working within the salt palace convention center. I'm planning to arrive either a couple days prior or leave a couple days later and get some riding in. A few questions I've got:

Should I stay in the same place and try to make it work from downtown or just go for it and stay closer to the east (where all the better trails appear to be)? I can manage a 5-8 hr. day no problem with food that I can carry. 40-50 miles and 7-10k ft of elevation wouldn't scare me away...but I don't want to end up in a bad place, all by myself, way away from civilization.

I guess you could say I'd like a route that gets me into the wild a little bit, but not so totally isolated that if I have an issue I'll be in major trouble.

How's the cell reception in the areas east of the city? Does anybody have any preferred routes they like to send out-of-towners like me on?

Are there any areas to avoid all together at that time of year/weather?

Lastly, conditional on all the above points, any suggestions on a particular shop to target for a rental? I'm probably looking for a pretty typical full suspension trail bike. I lean towards less travel usually. Maybe a 120/130 29er with a dropper.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Lower elevations will likely be best. We are getting LOTS of snow in Park City, so that could be hit or miss. I'll leave it to locals in the valley to chime in on Salt Lake rides.

" I don't want to end up in a bad place, all by myself, way away from civilization."
    Don't ride in West Valley City. Otherwise, the biggest threat would be Missionaries.

If you get lost, go downhill. Most of our rides are long climbs followed by long descents.

I like the folks, prices and selection of Go Ride in SLC.

Salt Lake City Area Trails

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    You will probably be limited to the stuff in the foothills. That will basically mean BST and Corner Canyon. Neither is by any means wild or adventurous, though if you don't mind some hike-a-bike you can get somewhat lost in the northern areas of the BST around Bountiful.

Downtown is a ~15 minute ride (or less if you're motivated) from the BST system. No need to stay somewhere else.

I would be shocked if there was any meaningful amount of riding dried out in Park City but I guess you never know. Check back in at the start of May.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    "Neither is by any means wild or adventurous, though if you don't mind some hike-a-bike" ...the SLC/Emigration are can be extremely adventurous if you have the fortitude. If winter keeps up, the bush may be more tame in May. Backcountry soul of mtb has seen a huge revival in SLC over the past few years. Do some homework looking at Strava linked rides off trailforks. After 3hr of surffing you will get a glimpse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could also roll around corner canyon but you would need to drive vs just getting on bike. The advantage of CC is you can go to IKEA and eat meat balls before or after the ride and roll around on the placemat of modern trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll probably try to check back in closer to that date and see how the local weather has been. Is there a good place online to check trail conditions in these areas or best to drop a note in here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The CC trail foundation used to have a conditions page...maybe it went away, maybe it will be back. not sure. There isn't one entity that "controls" the BST downtown...so on your own there via info in forums. So post here.

Also try utmb: Corner Canyon Trail Overview (Draper Mountain Bike Trails)
    There are forums there too, (Trail Conditions - UtahMountainBiking.com) if you're hoping for a report, worth posting in both places maybe. The utmb page and forum is even more local than mtbr....home grown web site etc.

Use Trailforks to plan a route. I think there is more quality riding in Corner than the BST, but if you are downtown then proximity wins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    May is deep in Mud Season for the good stuff around here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Only if waiting for carpet shampoo to dry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    SlC/Emigration condition update
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Work Trip -  Looking to ride for 1 day, maybe 2 - NEED advice from locals...-img_20190104_221043586.jpg  

Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    There you go, Turd has volunteered to lead you on an epic b/hiking tour of lots of mediocre fall line game trails!

Seriously, the adventures in the hills above the BST are cool - if you live in SLC and are bored. They are not very fun riding, when they're riding at all. I spent a lot of random afternoons messing around up there back in the day (70% of Wire, clean, baby!), and it was pretty fun because boredom.

I would never send someone up to randomly bushwhack on their 2-day trip, though.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help, folks. I'll keep the UTmtb links on tap as well to see what the weather brings. I may stick to BST for proximity sake and then I can probably avoid a rental car all together. Turd....I'm curious. What am I looking at in that picture? Some sort of groomed trail or just the way the snow drifted? I've stared for 5 minutes and can't figure out what's going on there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Aaron, you'll want to ride Corner Canyon. It's not Park City, but it's a pretty expansive network of primarily purpose built MTB trails. Like someone else already said, you have 70+ miles of singletrack at your disposal there. Blows away the BST. I can and do ride the BST several times a year, but only because I can do it ultra-conveniently from my office door. Even with that convenience, I make the 20 minute drive to Corner Canyon way more often than I ride the BST, because the trails are just way better. Post up again as your trip gets closer, and we'll get you up to minute beta on trail conditions, but barring an active storm cycle just prior to or during your visit, most everything there should be good to go in mid-May.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    Turd....I'm curious. What am I looking at in that picture? Some sort of groomed trail or just the way the snow drifted? I've stared for 5 minutes and can't figure out what's going on there.
    It’s a “kids” sledding trail, about 600 vertical feet. People got to get hurt on it.

Entertaining on a fat bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you don’t want to jack around and change hotels/get a car, this stuff should be dry and offer two days of riding. Bike idea sounds fine, low gearing would be nice.

Something like this would be a big day down low (not my ride paths)
    I’ve bonked on the way back on slightly shorter variants
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4670020/

less but still a biggish ride
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/2054030/

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4392499/

“I'd like a route that gets me into the wild a little bit”
    Med Hill Ridge Trail (some hike-a-bike) and Tower Access Road trails will give you some of this.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links, Turd.

I'm intrigued about Corner Canyon now. What is your guys take on conditions? It looks like a few dry hot days early this coming week but potential for rain this coming Saturday when I'll be riding.

I've got a rental tentatively booked with Summit Cyclery for an SB100 for the day. They technically do "demos" only, but the guy I talked with was cool with me renting a demo bike for the day as long as it's not too muddy and rough on the bike.

I checked that UTahmtb site today and couldn't find any recent trail reports for that area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Almost everything is now open in Corner Canyon. You can put together pretty much as long of a ride as you want out there. Be sure to hit some combo of Vertigo, Rush, and/or Levitate. Other very worthy mentions are Jacob's ladder and Maple Hollow DH. I'll mention Achtung and Zooropa as well. They haven't opened yet, but might by the time you get out there. These are all downhill only so you'll need to look at Trailforks for specifics on how to link them.

An SB100 will be sufficient, but something in the SB130 category would be ideal in my opinion. The only question mark is rain is in the forecast starting Thursday night or Friday. It doesn't take a lot of rain to shut down most of those DH trails because they tend to have a high clay content (the exception being Jacobs). For conditions, check:

https://draper.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...viwFFtON0LKzfs