Wolf Creek Super D and Trail Bike Downhill Race 2009- Mtbr.com
    Fragglepuss The Chaste

Wolf Creek Super D and Trail Bike Downhill Race 2009

Here's the scoop on this year's Wolf Mountain (Creek) Mayhem as far as the Super D and Trail Bike DH races are concerned. These 2 events are taking place June 20 with the Downhill race the following day, June 21st. Last year was the first year of racing up there for the Utah State Series and there was a fairly large field for a new venue. The Trail Bike DH is a new one this year.

This year's Super D will run on a completely different and much more challenging course. The guys at WC built and awsome 3 mile trail that runs from the top of the chair to the resort base, but it has a few short, but painful, uphill sections. The race won't actucally finish at the resort base due to some pretty consideable climbs (in Super D terms) that would have to be done. In stead, the race will finish near the bottom of the new trail and racers will be able to access the base via a paved road with out all the extra climbing. This new route represents a true Super D course, I'm betting you'll really like it. As for the Trail Bike course, I'm still not sure where it will run but I'm thinking about sending it down last year's SD trail (Green Mile) and hooking it into the bottom of the DH course to finish. I'll mark the SD course on Thursday, June 18 and the DH and TB course on Friday. If you get a chance to go up and ride the SD course before the race you should. I'm guessing it'll blow your mind. I was really impressed with it and the work that their trial crew did to make it happen.

P-Town should be quite familiar with the Trail Bike DH as he and some other guys decided to race that trail for the Super D last year instead of the marked course . Apparently, Ron just decided to take their advice and have the race follow their lead this year .

People are going to ask what kind of bike? What amount of travel? What psi in my tires? What should I eat the night before?

Basically for the Trail Bike DH course described you really just want a bike you can corner REALLY well on. The Green Mile is just a series of bermed switchbacks, that's it. Very little wide open straight sections. Yes, I said berms. Love 'em. There's nothing technical up top other than setting up corner after corner after corner. Eventually it will open up onto a quassi fire road where you can really haul the mail and lead into a hard right and onto the bottom of the DH course. P-Town, wanna describe the course from here? Sorry, have to give you some sh#t.

You can preregister by going to Go-Ride.com's website or showing up in time Saturday am.

And lastly, no Thread isn't complete without pictures.

The bike used, '08 RFX:

Downhill sprint to the (correct) finish:

Finish and a PB&J sandwich within site:

mr.welcorn crushing the Special Needs Mens Class:

Silver Fox doing what he does best:

Fear The Mullet. This old man will probably kick your ass no matter what:

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 06-11-2009 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sh*t given and accepted. I honestly think my mind subconsciously avoided the climb beyond where the DH course splits off.

Once you're on the DH course, have fun and watch out for hidden holes on the straight section and right hand corner that feeds into the finish pictured above. Get off the bike and look at your line in practice - or just follow the sheep line.

My 5 inch bike with 2.35 tires felt like ample meat for the course.

D

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Is it dry enough to ride right now?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by radnasty
    Is it dry enough to ride right now?
    radnasty, I have not been up there yet this year. Supposedly Ron, the promoter of the event has. The writing that is in bold in my original post was part of an email he sent me.

He sent me another email last night and thinks that they were potentially planning on opening the resort this weekend but was skeptical due to the weather. If anyone knows if they actually fired up the lifts, let us know. He is also trying to find out if they'll open the resort this Friday. I hope so.

As far as my participation, that's up in the air after this weekends attempt at the Tears, Fears and Beers Endurance DH race in Ely, NV. On the way out there I found a crack in my swing arm while gassing up in Wendover. It's coming from the bolt hole in the lower linkage and I need to get a new swing arm. It's a new bike and still under warranty but I doubt I will have a replacement in time for the weekend. There's a moderate chance I'll have something to race, but it may be a maiden voyage/race type day. Last time I raced a bike I've never thrown a leg over didn't end too well .

Silver Fox is buying my Sunday on well, sunday. The old men racing DH better watch out.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Saturday's Events 6/20

I spoke with some fine fellow up at Wolf Creek yesterday and was told a couple of things:
    1. The resort does not open for lift access mountain biking to Joe Public until July 4th.
    2. They are not going to open the resort up to practice on Friday.
    3. Brad Pitt is actually a woman.

I then received an email from Ron the event promoter confirming all of the above plus:
    1. He is going to ask them to try and fire up the lifts at 9am so that everyone can get some practice in.
    2. Brad Pitt is actually a woman who disquises herself as Carrot Top when not acting.

I got the impression that they were opening the mountain special for us racers this weekend only. So if you're competing it will probably mean that the 2 kids from Ogden on rental bikes that ride there on a regular basis and the van load of kids coming back from skipping rocks in the lake won't be up there and you may get .384 more laps in.

However, if it's anything like last year, the lifts will get moving around 11:30am after the 6 mandatory smoke breaks and resusitation of the 65 year old lifty after he loads the first kids race bike which just happens to be an '02 Kona Stinky that weighs 53lbs. It is what it is. I'm banking on a first run pedal up the mountain. It is an all-mountain event after all.

Speculate away....

Jun 2009
    So checking the weather for this Saturday, it is looking like a 60% chance for rain and thunderstorms, just curious how much weather the trails can handle before the race is cancelled? I would assume it is up to the race officials to use there discretion?

..... and Brad Pitt is actually my aunt....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilcox1
    So checking the weather for this Saturday, it is looking like a 60% chance for rain and thunderstorms, just curious how much weather the trails can handle before the race is cancelled? I would assume it is up to the race officials to use there discretion?

..... and Brad Pitt is actually my aunt....
    Well it's up to the race officials, but we're also at the mercy of the resort. If things get too sketchy my guess is that the resort will shut the lifts down-much like Sundance's practice day earlier this month.
    I guess ski lifts act like a big lightning rod and can suffer expensive damage if hit while running.

If Brad Pitt wasn't an 'A' Cup, I'd totally do him/her.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

23rd Annual Wolf Mountain Mayhem in the books

Hmmm...I guess I must have caught your racing bug from last year P-Town. Nasty crash at Sundance and a mechanical at Wolf Mountain. Thanks for passing that on. Must be the new swine flu.

Anyway.

First off I have to give some major kudo's to the resort itself and Ron the event organizer. We arrived at the resort right at 8:30am to find the lifts up and running and the box office open to purchase lift passes. $20 for a day and $30 for the weekend wasn't too bad to stomach. Ron got the Super D started at 12 sharp and despite the weather later in the afternoon only had to delay the start of the Trail Bike DH by 45 minutes.

The Super D: Not really my definition of a Super D. More of a Super U. The 'U' being 'Up'. Silver Fox and I managed one practice run early in the morning and that was all one needed. This was a brand new trail that looks like it was cut with a bulldozer and was quite wide. Lots of climbing right off the bat. That pretty much summed the first 2/3rds of the course. It was interesting to say the least and would be a great trail to ride if one weren't competing as the scenery was just amazing. Much like one would find at Sundance. At about the midway mark there was a nice, deep creek crossing followed by a short but extremely steep climb on the other bank. During our practice run it was flowing at a decent pace and we were able to cross and make it up the other side ok. However, it started raining quite a bit before the start of the race and by the time racers made it to the creek it was really moving and twice as deep. From what I heard only a few people made it across and cleaned the hill. Of course, there was a photographer standing there to document it all .
    After a while you finally made it to the 'D' and the trail was just super fun. Deer Valley needs to learn how to build trails from the guys at Wolf Creek. There was not one corner on this entire 3 mile trail that was not bermed. None of this super tight, off camber switchback BS that the builders in Park City love so much. 2-3 foot high berms. Despite how muddy and slick the course was, you could just let the bike drift, punch the berm and carry on. Freakin' blast.
    My result: 1st Place Mens 30-39 Expert. Yep, beat myself again. Oh well, not having any competition this race I just took it easy and didn't blow my wad for the day with all that climbing.

Trail Bike DH: As was mentioned it was delayed due to rain. Lots of it. Earlier in the day Silver Fox and I got some practice in while the dirt was moist and tacky. F#cking sweetest conditions for this type of event. Of course, Ron through a wrench into the plan and didn't use last years Super D course as they felt the 'new' DH course was tame enough-and they were right. The whole lower half was brand new and just amazing for a 5-6 inch bike. All the steep stuff was followed by berms so nothing was overly sketchy. They threw in 3 Whistler-esque table tops in a nice straight line where you had plenty of setup and run out. A couple of very challenging doubles, a little hip jump and lots and lots of perfectly shaped berms. Like I mentioned nothing overly sketchy and we actually practiced with XC-type helmets and soft knee pads.
    So back to the race. From the Super D on, it just rained and all that nice tacky, black dirt just went to pot. The lower section was brand new and not packed in yet so everything was super soft, lots of grass and twigs and everything else was just waiting to wreak havoc on your drivetrain. Despite all those nice berms, the course was just super slick.
    My Result: 3rd Place Mens 30-39 Expert coming in almost twice as long as everyone else. Seems I should have packed my flats as in the start gate I came to find out my shoes/cleats/XC-clipless pedals were so packed with mud I couldn't get my left foot engaged right from the start. Not having a platform to at least put my foot on I was left riding one footed. So it was coast fest while the Pro Women passed by and I cheered them on. Have to give those two credit for hitting that trail over and over. They were both just covered with mud after 3-4 runs.

If you make it to Wolf Creek definitely hit this trail. You do not need a DH bike at all and given all the short ups, it may be a disadvantage.

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun and sorry for passing the rain over to you guys for your race..... but now I'm glad I passed on this one. I had enough rain and mud last weekend. Maybe next year.

Congrats on the good finishes.

I'm still a bit foggy on the Trailbike DH. If it's for trailbikes, why are there table top, hips, and doubles to contend with? Or does the "Trailbike" just refer to the no-cutting-corners rules?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I'm still a bit foggy on the Trailbike DH. If it's for trailbikes, why are there table top, hips, and doubles to contend with? Or does the "Trailbike" just refer to the no-cutting-corners rules?
    Obviously the definition of the type of courses is still being hashed out (as well as changed at the last minute). For now, it just limits the amount of travel the bike can have to 160mm. That's pretty much it at this point. Seems like this class has been growing over the first few races and to my surprise there were quite a few repeat racers doing this format from Sundance. Actually, both the Super D and Trail Bike DH had some pretty big numbers for a local race.

Keep in mind that you could have ridden this trail on a 4inch travel bike or even a hardtail if you were skilled enough. There was nothing over one's head except the mud/conditions once it started to down pour. When we first did a practice run I was in XC gear and was never puckered. The table tops were fairly wide, built very well and were even a lot of fun to just roll over. They were a lot more user friendly than the triple that used to don the newer Super D course at Brian Head that took a couple people out a couple years back. Like the table tops, the doubles were rideable and rounded and if you couldn't clear them anyone could ride through them easily. Again, they were just fun to have thrown into the mix.

Having said all that, I wouldn't have called the Super D a 'Super D' either when there's twice as much up as there is down .

What I've learned is to show up with a variety of tires/pedals/shoes and gear in general as things change so quickly. I was pretty ill prepared and after my shoes/socks were soaking wet and freezing from the Super D creek crossing I was kicking myself. Initally we were practicing on 2.35 tires which seemed to hook up extremely well and just fit the DH course when the dirt was nice and tacky. After it rained I really wished I had some flats and a 2.5 up front to handle the mud and slick conditions. A lot of guys looked like they went down, but besides being caked with mud there were no injuries....

Take that back. Some guy, I believe on a 29'er, taco'd his front wheel and went down on his face during the Super D. I would say the Super D course was way rougher and a lot more sketchy (once you got to the DH section) than the Trail Bike/DH course. Odd thing when your hands ache after a Super D and not after running a DH run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Trailbikes can be pretty fun to jump. I think very few people are really pushing what a trailbike is capable of. Suspension technology, slacker geometry, brakes, thru axles, etc are all making trailbikes like mini-DH bikes. My trailbike has a 6" fork and 5ish" rear. Feels really good. Remember that top level DHers had similar suspension numbers not too many years ago. . .

I like the "no-cutting-corners" comment. . . rich. . . ;-)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Trailbikes can be pretty fun to jump. I think very few people are really pushing what a trailbike is capable of. Suspension technology, slacker geometry, brakes, thru axles, etc are all making trailbikes like mini-DH bikes. My trailbike has a 6" fork and 5ish" rear. Feels really good. Remember that top level DHers had similar suspension numbers not too many years ago. . .

I like the "no-cutting-corners" comment. . . rich. . . ;-)
    I have to agree with P-town and think that's part of the premise with this whole new race class. Of course I had the unfortunate problem of cracking the swing arm on my Mojo, but given the crash that could have easily have happened to an aluminum bike.
    I can actually get my trail bikes airborne a lot easier than my Sunday as they are smaller and more 'flickable' and manageable in the air. Seemed like the DH bike just wanted to stay rooted to the ground and could be a bit of a chore to jump.

mtbr member
    Ok, that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm certainly not opposed to jumping the trail bike (or climbing), especially if there's some nice smooth trannies and flow.

Sounds like the HH100x would work well for either of those courses.

When/where is the next race in the series?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0