will SUNDANCE be ready for this 'long' weekend?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

will SUNDANCE be ready for this 'long' weekend?

Please! anybody 'believes' if there is any chance that sundance will be 'rideable' for the 22nd to 25th? or any chairlift mtb trail at all......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not a chance

They are still using the lifts to take skiers to the top. come back in 45 days
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Will they move the race dates?

altazo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway

Ummm, he said Sundance, not Snowbird...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Sundance closed their lifts to skiers on April 5th or April 12th (I can't remember which wave they were in). Snowbird is the only ski resort still running lifts in Northern Utah this late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey
    Please! anybody 'believes' if there is any chance that sundance will be 'rideable' for the 22nd to 25th? or any chairlift mtb trail at all......
    Sundance has already posted opening dates on their web site, and they tend to be one of the most conservative resorts when it comes to opening dates, so I'd say there is a pretty good chance they'll be open for the Memorial Day weekend. They may not have every trail open, but some are definitely ready.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i know people that have gone up recently and don't feel its gonna happen. i can't believe they changed it, esp the dh because that trail wasn't open till a month in anyway. if the dh is run...it's gonna be a fun race.

mtbr member
    If it matters, there is an ICUP race scheduled there for the following weekend, so I hope that it's all dry and ready to go!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    alright so a buddy of mine was just up there and it was the day that the employees were riding and apparently it's normal sundance and its dusty and good to go....so i guess that's good

Grizzly
    Wed night series up there tomorrow.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What you need to do is go here. Grab your parents credit card and complete the required information.
    Lube your chain.
    Check your rubber (the stuff on your bike, not the little hermetically sealed packages hidden in a shoe box under your bed).
    Pull that nasty body armor you tucked away in a bag last fall without having washed it. Should be easy enough to find. Just follow your nose.
    Borrow your dad's full face helmet.
    Drive up to Sundance early Monday morning and race.

Don't worry if you don't have a dedicated DH race bike. There's a new 'Trail Bike' class this year to race in so you won't feel like you're bringing a spork to a Brazillian picnic.

You just have to have a bike with 160mm or less travel to enter this class. Meaning your 7in travel stinky with the 66 is too big and you'll have to race with the big boys. You'll get two timed runs down the Sport/Beginner DH line and the times are cumulative rather than the best of two as with the 'normal' DH'ers. So don't pin it an burn yourself out on the first lap as both runs count towards your placement.

Other than that, probably won't be too fun a place to be on Monday as the DH course will be taped off for competitors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    any idea on the route of the trail bike class, also when it's going to be raced. it sounds like a ton of fun

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    any idea on the route of the trail bike class, also when it's going to be raced. it sounds like a ton of fun
    It will be run down the 'normal' DH course but will follow any Sport/Beginner DH lines. Meaning if Ron feels there is something a bit too technical for a 5-6in travel bike to handle, there will be a go around.
    Race is on Monday and will be set in with the DH'ers so you can sit there and rib them on needing a 'big' bike to get down the mountain . Click on the link in my previous post for all the details and to register online. You'll have to register prior to Monday. The goal is to garner enough interest that this 'class' will eventually replace the Super D which has been dying out the past few years. Unfortunately, at the Sundance event you won't be able to race DH and the 'Trail Bike' class as you won't have enough time to get back up the mountain for 4 runs.

At the upcoming Wolf Mountain Event the 'Trail Bike' class will be run on Saturday afternoon after the Super D in the morning. So if you're interested you'll actually have time to race Super D, Trail Bike on the DH course and the old school DH event on Sunday. Or a combo of two.

As of last night there were 30 pre-entries, 4 of which were for the trail bike class. I don't know how many of the remaining 26 were DH and Super D preregisters. Just remember when filling out the entry form to check the "Trail Bike Class" box or else you'll end up racing against the guys on DH race bikes.

Again, if you have any interest and need more info you can call Go-Ride or go to their website and click on the racing link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    alright...because a couple of us guys at the shop thought it was a really cool idea. We were thinking it just meant another of the sundance trails that just went around the downhill section and required more pedaling. i'm kinda sad actually that it's not because that would have been an awesome idea.

so...we don't have to go around anything though? because i'm fairly certain i could do all of the jumps on my AM trail bike(maybe not the pallet jump but alot of people will on their short travel FR bikes). i think there's a ton of interest though in the event but IMO way too close to the dh race

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what trail i mean to say was like instead of going straight and heading onto the dh course(where there's like a 4 way intersection), it'd be cool to have the race go left or right. it would allow the super d guys to have their own trail, but esp at sundance you could just be cranking on it the whole time. I think that race would draw a ton of people

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well Ron Lindley (Salamander Promotions) has the final say and Sundance is kind of his baby. According to the current flyer and years past, he's run the Super D off the right of the lift, around the back side, down that fire road, around Archies, waaaaayyyy around the mountain and back to the paved road for an uphill sprint finish. About a 14-16 full out sprint. I did it on my RFX last year and just about threw up after I was done hallucinating. It's more of XC-lite where guys on 3-4in travel XC race bikes are going to kill it.

The whole idea of the 'Trail Bike' Class is to give kids an opportunity to race "DH" but may not be able to afford a dedicated DH race bike a fair chance and compete on similar steeds, so to speak. It's also to replace Super D eventually as participation in the UT State Series has been waning ever since 2006. Those of us who are more DH oriented have been put off a bit by the nature of Super D and felt it resembled something more of a XC genre. The "Trail Bike Class" is basically to get Super D, back to the 'D' and more kids out racing. Every event in the UT State Series this year should feature this class with tentative plans for a big event Mid-August at Brian Head that will hopefully become part of one of the national gravity series events. Basically changing 'The Flyin' Brian' event into a big festival with a DH race, a real Super D (one of the best courses in the state BTW), 4X and rumor of an endurance DH event.

Anyway, just think of it as racing the Sport/Beginner course on your Trail Bike with two cumulative runs rather than the best of two. Meaning, consistancy over two runs. A few of us did this (consciously) last year but against the DH'ers in the normal DH class and had a blast. You'd be surprised how well you can do on a 'smaller' bike, so to speak.

Again, if you have any questions about race times, etc...click here. There's a link to register online and a smaller link that will pull up a .pdf with all the race info, start times, etc.. If you're the insecure type and the internet makes you nervous, call Go-Ride: Ph: 801-474-0081.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ah i didn't see it from that way. that's such a good idea to allow some of the people to race with others that aren't spending 4k+ on bikes.

i know what you mean about the super d. That's a pretty crazy course that is def more xc oriented. Didn't the person that won it do it on a rigid 29er?

Anyway, yeah i've run the dh course on smaller travel bikes, and it's fun. Should be a pretty cool race. I guess i was just hoping it was a different route because i hurt my shoulder pretty good this week, my dh bike isn't done yet, and i'm just not sure if i can do a safe run on my 5in AM bike. it'll be fun to go watch anyway

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    ah i didn't see it from that way. that's such a good idea to allow some of the people to race with others that aren't spending 4k+ on bikes.

i know what you mean about the super d. That's a pretty crazy course that is def more xc oriented. Didn't the person that won it do it on a rigid 29er?

Anyway, yeah i've run the dh course on smaller travel bikes, and it's fun. Should be a pretty cool race. I guess i was just hoping it was a different route because i hurt my shoulder pretty good this week, my dh bike isn't done yet, and i'm just not sure if i can do a safe run on my 5in AM bike. it'll be fun to go watch anyway
    I believe the guy who posted the fastest time in the Super D last year was on a 29'er.
    Also, I can't remember if it was last year or the year prior, but this guy Mike in the 40+ Expert raced the Super D and then turned around and raced the DH on his Giant NRS carbon bike with XC tires, skin suit and didn't drop his saddle. He had to do a cyclocross dismount and run in a couple of sections. Wouldn't say that was too bright, but have to give him the biggest balls award for that one.

I'm passing on the Super D this year as I've been slacking hard (due to the weather) on my conditioning. My IH Sunday is going to take a rest this weekend and I'm going to see how well Ibis builds their Mojo's. Only changes: I'll be running some 2.5 dual ply's, a shorter stem and swapping out the Gravity Dropper for a standard post (don't want risk crashing and breaking that post). Other than that, it'll be stock with a Float 36 up front and an RP23 with 5.5in of travel in the rear. Should corner really well and handle the lower sprinty stuff yet will suffer a bit on any straight, fast, rough sections as the wheelbase is quite short and that bike gets thrown around on stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    for all those that haven't decided whether they're going to race yet...i was up there today and the trails are prime, the weather is perfect, and it's just ill. The trail bike race is not being run on the DH trail. it skips over the dh section and meets back up a litter later. there's this section on the fireroad that has snow on it that's just a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Second that. its good dirt down there. I reckon a trailbike would be the call even on the "DH" section. Super fun stuff. Good luck!
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For what its woth I use an sx trail as a "trailbike"
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    oh yeah for sure. i was on a foes 5in travel bike today and it was totally fine. i just miss the dh bike on a few sections

Members who have read this thread: 0