Will be in SLC end of the month where do I need to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Will be in SLC end of the month where do I need to ride?

Hello and good morning, I will be up in SLC for my first time at the end of this month until early in July. Would really like to get some riding in. I have a Trance 29'r and like to ride everything except busy streets and crap your pants downhills. So basically XC, and everything up to crap your pants. My average ride is 20 miles, willing to go further or shorter, I like my climbs and my downs. Thanks in advance all, really looking forward to getting some new dirt on my tires. Additionally I may just rent a bike up there, good shop reccommendations?

Frame Building Moderator
    -Shoreline-Bobsled. Go early.
    -Corner Canyon. Go early.
    -Mueller Park. Avoid weekends.
    -Flying Dog. Go somewhat early.
    -Armstrong/Midmountain/John's/etc loops at PCMR. No need to go early, avoid on weekends.
    -Wasatch Crest to Canyons. Go early if you are slow. Might be snowed in for another 3 weeks, though.

There is a ton of other stuff, most of which is awesome, but those are some highlights that are easy to find and classic.

-Walt

Your Best Friend
    Pm me
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Walt: thank you very much appreciate the info. What would be early? here in Vegas I'm normally at the trailhead around 6 to beat some of the heat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If your used to riding in vegas the SLC heat will not bother you. 6 am start will be fine
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'd take the "ride early" commentary as advice to avoid trail congestion rather than heat for someone that is used to the warm temps. If you've got the ability to drive 20 minutes or so, definitely shoot for the park city options. By end of month nearly everything high country should be ready and I'm guessing most deadfall on the trails of Midmountain will be cleared.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Frame Building Moderator
    If you are used to Vegas and 6am starts, you are golden. Middle of the day on the lower elevation trails will be in the 80s or 90s which most find unpleasant but it's not nearly as hot as Vegas.

Starting early also helps with congestion - and all the rides I listed are quite popular, though if you're going mid-week you won't have a problem regardless of the time of day.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Agreed with the above statements. Corner Canyon at the southeastern, well... corner, of the valley is a popular and fun place to ride. The trails are rather short, so you can do multiple laps or explore around the Jacob's Ladder area above corner canyon. A few trails like Rush and Maple Hollow are also one way descents, so you can usually open it up pretty safely. It does get busy on the weekends, as well as most evenings after 4pm, but during the morning or midday it isn't much of a problem. The shoreline trail in the foothills north of town is also popular. Most of the trail is rather uneventful, but if you drop down Bobsled, it livens up right quick.

The Crest Trail is pretty much the best ride in the Wasatch mtns (at least in my opinion). Depending on the variation you choose, it ranges from 10-25 miles of singletrack perfection through forests, by lakes and rivers, etc. Basically, think of the exact opposite of Bootleg in every way, and throw in the occasional moose off the side of the trail. Unfortunately, it's still got a lot of snow and mud on it. I went up last night to repair some erosion and it looks like it'll be at least 3 weeks before it's good to ride.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Your Best Friend
    All of the American Fork Canyon trails are open. If you've never done them, you should. High alpine riding, more techy than Park City and a lot less crowded.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Getting more excited as I read this. Hoping that the work aspect won't interfere with the fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best quote on MTBR this week "The crest is singletrack perfection think the exact opposite of bootleg"
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Perpetual n00b
    Come ride up sardine peak and bomb back down. Super fun!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    -Shoreline-Bobsled. Go early.
    -Corner Canyon. Go early.
    -Mueller Park. Avoid weekends.
    -Flying Dog. Go somewhat early.
    -Armstrong/Midmountain/John's/etc loops at PCMR. No need to go early, avoid on weekends.
    -Wasatch Crest to Canyons. Go early if you are slow. Might be snowed in for another 3 weeks, though.

There is a ton of other stuff, most of which is awesome, but those are some highlights that are easy to find and classic.

-Walt
    I just saw this post from one of the shuttle companies, so it looks like the Crest is ready to go (with a little bit of walking).

Shuttles start SATURDAY! Rode yesterday and its 95% dry! There are 2 sections where you have to hike through snow and a couple of patchy areas that are a little deep.. But where there's no snow its completely dry!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Once again, I really appreciate all the great info you fine folks have provided. I just did some resort runs at Big Bear in SoCal, so much fun. So one more question, is the resort riding at Park City worth it? I'm not into sending it big, but I'm really enjoying the the features and being almost forced to try way harder.

Frame Building Moderator
    There are several threads about the gravity/lift served riding in PC, here's a recent one:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/canyons-...ey-912442.html

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    OK. Update. Had an amazing ride in Corner Canyon, huge thanks to SilentFoe for dealing withe me. Took a little trip on Bonneville shore trail but I think I did it mostly wrong. As a current Nevadan and long time Californian I'm amazed at the community involvement and care of public trails. The work and love that went into Corner is something I've only seen in some private areas of Cali and in Santa Cruz at Demo Forest. Making me not want to go home.