Will the Crest Trail be open this year?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Will the Crest Trail be open this year?

The private landowners did not renew a deal that they previously had with Park City Resort. They would not allow anyone to ski on their property, and some skiiers were cited for skiing there. Their property includes some of the area around Puke Hill DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT WILL ALSO BE CLOSED FOR BIKES?

mtbr member
    I don't know, but Puke Hill itself is an access road, so I'd guess it will be okay. I suppose the possible impact may be between Guardsman's and Puke Hill. There was a similar dispute out at Bob's Basin that resulted in a reroute of the trail there a few years ago.

Frame Building Moderator
    I thought this was going to be about the snowpack!

Any bets on when it actually dries out this year? I'm guessing August sometime.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I thought this was going to be about the snowpack!

Any bets on when it actually dries out this year? I'm guessing August sometime.

-Walt
    I've already lost 2 feet in my yard since last week, I vote July 4th!
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Depends on how soon Slyfox starts digging it out

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    I've already lost 2 feet in my yard since last week, I vote July 4th!
    Yeah but at 10,000 feet it *snowed* that much last week...

Maybe we should have an official betting pool. Winner gets beer?

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    July 27th

Perpetual n00b
    The Crest will not be open this year. So wherever you are coming from just stay there.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    The Crest just got an additional 40 inches of snow on it in the last 3 days or so, with JUST ONE MORE storm (honest) on the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    There was an article in the Park Record about the issues between the landowner and park city resort. There was no mention about whether they would try to keep the public off their land.
    p.s. I think the snow should be clear by july 15.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    LOL @ people assuming it's 70F on the Crest because it's 70F at their house in the valley. Winter is 2 mos longer up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    LOL @ people assuming it's 70F on the Crest because it's 70F at their house in the valley. Winter is 2 mos longer up there.
    What gets me is when people in the SL valley ask about Crest conditions, when if they would just look at the Wasatch from their front window....they could see snow 1/3 of the way down the mountain....and KNOW that it is not GTG.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    What gets me is when people in the SL valley ask about Crest conditions, when if they would just look at the Wasatch from their front window....they could see snow 1/3 of the way down the mountain....and KNOW that it is not GTG.
    I saw a report the other day from the Forest Service complaining about equestrians and motos already hitting up trails in American Fork Canyon and tearing them up. We have a Tragedy of the Commons situation here in the Wasatch Front.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I saw a report the other day from the Forest Service complaining about equestrians and motos already hitting up trails in American Fork Canyon and tearing them up. We have a Tragedy of the Commons situation here in the Wasatch Front.
    I tried to ride american fork canyon trails last year and the fine dust the motos throw up all over everything just took the fun out of it for me. Its such a shame becasue those trails up there are in such beautiful country. I miss riding up there, it seems every year the trails get more and more rutted.

And it will be july 15th that the crest will be GTG.

Frame Building Moderator
    I'm going with August 1st.

Just to be clear: rideable with no snow crossings. Of course it'll be good to go with a couple snowy bits before then. I'm talking totally dry.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Since all the corporate Summit ski areas will arrest you for trespassing on snow covered property now that the lifts are shut down, is there anything (DV/Vail) that is on public land or has public right of way? If one wanted to fat bike on snow, everything is illegal within summit ski resorts?
    https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/recently-closed-resorts-ask-skiers-boarders-to-stay-off-their-slopes/1909374468

Frame Building Moderator
    Everything is illegal on Vail property. No idea on DV.

I pretty much guarantee you could ride out/back on Armstrong and not have a problem, though. Assuming you can *find* Armstrong, of course.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yea, was thinking more about riding up some of the DV access or residential roads or cutting in from Guardsman and just riding down a cut ski run because I’ve never done that before.

It would probably suck compared to frozen crust. If warmer, possibly the groomers would be consolidated or more like summer snowpack.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    I'm going with August 1st.

Just to be clear: rideable with no snow crossings. Of course it'll be good to go with a couple snowy bits before then. I'm talking totally dry.

-Walt
    Lets do a Trifecta:

July 4th Crest
    June 10th Mid-Mountain DV to Canyons
    May 5th Flying Dog
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

Frame Building Moderator
    Lets do a Trifecta:

July 4th Crest
    June 10th Mid-Mountain DV to Canyons
    May 5th Flying Dog
    Are we talking Flying Dog actually *dry*? Or early-season-let's-make-ruts-everywhere in the aspen grove?

Crest August 1
    Mid Mtn June 25
    F-Dog May 20

-W

mtbr member
    Are we talking Flying Dog actually *dry*? Or early-season-let's-make-ruts-everywhere in the aspen grove?

Crest August 1
    Mid Mtn June 25
    F-Dog May 20

-W
    Yep, Mtn Trails Foundation approved riding conditions. Last year our 1st day on FD was May 5th (about 1-2 weeks after it was good to go). That was half the snow we had this year, lol!
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    The private landowners did not renew a deal that they previously had with Park City Resort. They would not allow anyone to ski on their property, and some skiiers were cited for skiing there. Their property includes some of the area around Puke Hill DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT WILL ALSO BE CLOSED FOR BIKES?
    I spoke to Charlie Sturgess at Mountain Madness and he said that the trails will still be open.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yep, Mtn Trails Foundation approved riding conditions. Last year our 1st day on FD was May 5th (about 1-2 weeks after it was good to go). That was half the snow we had this year, lol!
    I'm declaring victory. Here's a photo from F-dog today (inexplicably there is no sign at the top, and yes, I turned around).

I could see it opening this weekend if it stays this hot. Maybe.

Will the Crest Trail be open this year?-unnamed-3-.jpg

-Walt

mtbr member

-Walt
    Good luck with that. According to the weather report, my new annuals are all gonna die from the cold (and snow showers?) this weekend!

mtbr member
    I'm declaring victory. Here's a photo from F-dog today (inexplicably there is no sign at the top, and yes, I turned around).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	538.6 KB 
ID:	1251193

-Walt
    Based on the forecast later this week, I think we both might be too early in our FD approved opening dates
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, I think we'll both be wrong after looking at the forecast. I think it will be pretty close but not quite there by Thursday, and then it looks like it'll get dumped on at least some. So best case scenario end of next week? That would put it at almost June!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Related question..... as we will be interested in riding the crest as well. How late is generally too late to schedule a trip to the Park City area? The Crest and a day at Deer Valley are on the to do list (among others). I suspect those are the two most affected by winter weather on our list.

Right now the weekends of Aug 23rd or Sept 20 may work best with our schedules. Thinking Sept 20 is pushing it. Looks like they have Sept 22nd as the closing date on their website, which would be the day we would likely go.

Obviously nobody knows what will happen, but if those are must do's I'm thinking late Aug is much safer. We got snowed out of Jackson 2 years ago.... had to scramble and re-book in Sedona instead at the last minute which cost us a bit. Don't want to make the same mistake.

Edit: found this thread which makes me think Sept 20th may be better (assuming we are OK with possibly getting shut out at Deer Valley).
    https://forums.mtbr.com/utah/park-ci...r-1091515.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Related question..... as we will be interested in riding the crest as well. How late is generally too late to schedule a trip to the Park City area? The Crest and a day at Deer Valley are on the to do list (among others). I suspect those are the two most affected by winter weather on our list.

Right now the weekends of Aug 23rd or Sept 20 may work best with our schedules. Thinking Sept 20 is pushing it. Looks like they have Sept 22nd as the closing date on their website, which would be the day we would likely go.

Obviously nobody knows what will happen, but if those are must do's I'm thinking late Aug is much safer. We got snowed out of Jackson 2 years ago.... had to scramble and re-book in Sedona instead at the last minute which cost us a bit. Don't want to make the same mistake.

Edit: found this thread which makes me think Sept 20th may be better (assuming we are OK with possibly getting shut out at Deer Valley).
    https://forums.mtbr.com/utah/park-ci...r-1091515.html
    There ya go. Answered your own question.

Frame Building Moderator
    September will be fine barring some really unusual early season weather. By mid-October all bets are off, but September, you're good.

-Walt

mtbr member
    September will be fine barring some really unusual early season weather. By mid-October all bets are off, but September, you're good.

-Walt
    Thanks, we are planning Sept 20th. Time to research lodging and the rest of the details.

Anybody have thoughts on the recommendations here?
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...98SywVfhLTwnPQ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Thanks, we are planning Sept 20th. Time to research lodging and the rest of the details.

Anybody have thoughts on the recommendations here?
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...98SywVfhLTwnPQ
    If you want a hard route, this is a modification of the Park City IMBA Epic listed:

Start at PCMR and ride uphill on Lowell Ave to the top where it curves left and there go though a gate/dirt road to the Start of Sweeny's Switchbacks to John's.

Go up past the MM to Tommy Two Steps to 3 Candles - Keystone to Shadow Lake Loop and Blazing Saddle....then up Puke Hill to the Crest.

Follow that until you come downhill to the split where a left would take you down Mill Creek (where you could go, if you have a shuttle set up - even numbered days for the upper) and go right on the Crest (North). Down the Ridge Connector to go left (North) on the MM trail.

Take Ambush down to the 4 way intersection and get on the Olympic Trail to Moose Puddles down to the Olympic Park.

Up the road about a quarter mile to get on BLT and OMH and onto the road out to Walmart where there is the Kimball Jnc Bus terminal. Jump on the bus back to PCMR (there are racks on the bus - if not, you can ride back into town on paved paths). That should work you!

Here's the trail list: Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Park City map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...4d-111.4979729

Park City bus info: https://parkcity.org/departments/tra...utes-schedules

There are LOTS of possible variations on this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    we are a month late on everything opening right now.

mtbr member
    we are a month late on everything opening right now.
    I don't see Deer Valley opening June 15th weekend either
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    I don't see Deer Valley opening June 15th weekend either
    I can't even predict if my new flowers will survive the next 2 days, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Deer Valley MTB terrain is pretty low, and I don't think they will be late in opening.

You can see Silver Lake and Snow Park at

https://www.onthesnow.com/utah/deer-...s.html?id=6316

but right now we are in the midst of a storm, so will seem worse than it is.

mtbr member
    Deer Valley MTB terrain is pretty low, and I don't think they will be late in opening.

You can see Silver Lake and Snow Park at

https://www.onthesnow.com/utah/deer-...s.html?id=6316

but right now we are in the midst of a storm, so will seem worse than it is.
    I don't think the Silver Lake area will be open........Tsunami, Tidal Wave and Holy Roller along with all the old schoolers on Bald Mtn.
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

Frame Building Moderator
    Having just yesterday attempted to do a trail run on Flying Dog (and having to turn around, it's a giant mud pit up there) I have to admit that I was also wrong.

I think it'll be GTG this weekend, though, unless we get even more rain. So the correct answer was roughly June 8th on that one.

Anyone been up to scout MM? I know MTF reported that Armstrong was still under snow after HAM but that was a week or so ago.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Colins-Rob's is rideable to the junction with Olympic (no closed sign, there) and Ambush.
    Ambush is wet, but rideable - the trail in that area is solid and sandy, so sustains wet riding well - with down trees.
    Rosebud's Heaven back to Rob's is fine.
    I may try Yeti/Moose Puddles today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Colins-Rob's is rideable to the junction with Olympic (no closed sign, there) and Ambush.
    Ambush is wet, but rideable - the trail in that area is solid and sandy, so sustains wet riding well - with down trees.
    Rosebud's Heaven back to Rob's is fine.
    I may try Yeti/Moose Puddles today.
    Hoping more will be open June 14th-16th weekend. Round Valley has been fast as ever and riding great in the meantime. I don't think the kids will be riding Tidal Wave or Holy Roller that weekend though.

Good intel above, thanks!
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Flying Dog was good to go on Monday, lots of others were riding it too.

Yeah it did rain yesterday evening up there but not a whole lot. Should be good to go again today/this eve if it doesn't rain again.

But as of now consider it good to go for the season unless it rains a lot. There will probably be a few puddles here and there so expect to get some mud on your bike(omg).

Most things below mid mountain should be gtg by the weekend. Maybe a snow patch here or there in the most extreme north facing sheltered areas and across ski runs.

Sweenys, Johns, Redbull, Moosehouse and the likes are all GTG. Lower DV trails might be GTG as well.

Snow is still fat around the MM level and above. Gunna be a while.

High Star Ranch Tails have been GTG as well. They been getting socked with afternoon T storms so ride w caution.

Frame Building Moderator

No, it's not.

I tried to do a Flying Dog trail run Monday and it was a MESS. Huge ruts in muddy trail on 24-7 everywhere. I didn't even make it onto Flying Dog. I'd disagree that it's GTG, honestly. If we want to have it all look like the Bob's Basin stuff (ie, no soil left, just a rut full of rocks) then by all means go hit it, though.

As an aside, if you're the guy with the british accent and the e-bike who was *covered* with mud I saw, stay the hell off the trails. Your bike isn't allowed and you're being a dick riding when it's that wet.

Here's what 24-7 was like about every 50 feet. Near the first bench/stream crossing there's water just running down the trail for at least 100'. That hillside is like a big sponge, there's still water coming out of it. Give it a few more days.

Will the Crest Trail be open this year?-unnamed-4-.jpg

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I tried to do a Flying Dog trail run Monday and it was a MESS. Huge ruts in muddy trail on 24-7 everywhere. I didn't even make it onto Flying Dog. I'd disagree that it's GTG, honestly. If we want to have it all look like the Bob's Basin stuff (ie, no soil left, just a rut full of rocks) then by all means go hit it, though.

As an aside, if you're the guy with the british accent and the e-bike who was *covered* with mud I saw, stay the hell off the trails. Your bike isn't allowed and you're being a dick riding when it's that wet.

Here's what 24-7 was like about every 50 feet. Near the first bench/stream crossing there's water just running down the trail for at least 100'. That hillside is like a big sponge, there's still water coming out of it. Give it a few more days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (4).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	654.7 KB 
ID:	1255415

-Walt
    The trail is GTG ...sorry your face melts everytime you see a puddle and get mud on your bike. ...Huge ruts everywhere, a Mess? WTF are you talking about.

There were about 15 other people riding it on Monday when I was out. Take your trail nazi BS elsewhere.

If you dont want to ride it fine but dont freak out if others do...the trail is in acceptable shape to ride whether you like it or not.

No ruts were left from Monday... probably from people riding it weeks ago.

Now is the time to start riding it while any areas with ruts are soft to help buff that crap out before it sets up and hardens.

No mud was sticking to tires. Any mud on bikes was from going through puddles.

Frame Building Moderator
    Fair enough. Don't complain to me in a few years when it's all rocks. It's not that hard to wait another couple days for things to dry up, IMO. But you can hold yourself to whatever trail stewardship standard you want.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Looking for local advice... I'm wondering whether to cancel my trip planned to PC from June 22-29. I've already given up hope on riding the Crest trail. I called Deer Valley, and they gave an opening date of June 14 with only three trails planned for opening. I know a semi retired guy that part-times in PC, that rode Armstrong to MM, and had to walk a couple of snow fields. Friend of a friend that lives in PC looked at the list below, and said nothing was rideable now, and the vast majority would not be by the 22nd.

Of the trails listed, are any likely to be open by the 22nd?
    Armstrong
    Jenni's
    Spiro
    CMG
    Mid Mountain
    Empire
    Raspberry
    Fireswamp
    NCS
    Theives Forest
    Richochet
    Insurgent
    John's
    Devo
    Sweeney’s
    Shadow Lake
    Keystone
    Black Forest
    Ambush

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fair enough. Don't complain to me in a few years when it's all rocks. It's not that hard to wait another couple days for things to dry up, IMO. But you can hold yourself to whatever trail stewardship standard you want.

-Walt
    Like I said its better people ride it now when the trouble spots are still soft/rideable to help buff them out. Waiting till its completely dry and all the ruts and bad spots are going to set up like concrete.

Now is the time to do any trail work but I think it'll buff out on its own as people ride it.

A few people were riding it weeks ago which was way too early and stupid.

Never hear me complain about more rocks

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    Looking for local advice... I'm wondering whether to cancel my trip planned to PC from June 22-29. I've already given up hope on riding the Crest trail. I called Deer Valley, and they gave an opening date of June 14 with only three trails planned for opening. I know a semi retired guy that part-times in PC, that rode Armstrong to MM, and had to walk a couple of snow fields. Friend of a friend that lives in PC looked at the list below, and said nothing was rideable now, and the vast majority would not be by the 22nd.

Armstrong
    Jenni's
    Spiro
    CMG
    Mid Mountain
    Empire
    Raspberry
    Fireswamp
    NCS
    Theives Forest
    Richochet
    Insurgent
    John's
    Devo
    Sweeney’s
    Shadow Lake
    Keystone
    Black Forest
    Ambush
    DV will open the lower portion of the bike park (Deer Crest, NCS, Devo, supposedly a new flow trail this year sometime) on June 14th, maybe, but the upper part of the bike park where everyone actually rides... I'd be surprised if it was open by the 22nd.

Don't get me wrong - there will be plenty of fun riding. But if blacks and double blacks off the lift are your thing, you might want to cancel.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Armstrong
    Jenni's
    Spiro
    CMG
    Mid Mountain
    Empire
    Raspberry
    Fireswamp
    NCS
    Theives Forest
    Richochet
    Insurgent
    John's
    Devo
    Sweeney’s
    Shadow Lake
    Keystone
    Black Forest
    Ambush
    We will need our normal summer temps to return...if so...I Think 2 weeks should melt most those out. Shadow Lake, Keystone, and Black Forest and similar high north facing will be questionable....Wouldn't count on Crest or any of the upper trails off of Crest.

Few on your list are rideable now.

I wouldn't cancel just yet. Check back a few days before your trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Difficult to predict how fast things are going to melt out...just this week has really been our first dry/warm week in a long time.

There is A LOT of snow up there still. The walls are about to come down though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Armstrong
    Jenni's
    Spiro
    CMG
    Mid Mountain
    Empire
    Raspberry
    Fireswamp
    NCS
    Theives Forest
    Richochet
    Insurgent
    John's
    Devo
    Sweeney’s
    Shadow Lake
    Keystone
    Black Forest
    Ambush
    I can't speak to that whole list, but a friend rode Jennis, John's, CMG and Ski School yesterday and said it was all GTG. Headed up there tonight. I'd say anything below MM will be fine by the 22nd. Above MM, hard to say.

mtbr member
    DV will open the lower portion of the bike park (Deer Crest, NCS, Devo, supposedly a new flow trail this year sometime) on June 14th, maybe, but the upper part of the bike park where everyone actually rides... I'd be surprised if it was open by the 22nd.

Don't get me wrong - there will be plenty of fun riding. But if blacks and double blacks off the lift are your thing, you might want to cancel.

-Walt
    DV emailed me back and said Deer Crest, Tour De Homes and the new blue flow trail Undertow will be open June 14th. Should be worth checking out the 4th Gravity Logic flow trail at DV that weekend.
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    I'm making the ultimate decision on whether to pull the plug on the trip on the 10th. The co-travelers I would be bailing on are locked into their airline tickets, so they need enough notice to book another airbnb. I'm usually the guy that plans the trip itineraries, so they need time to do that as well.

However, the highs are in the 70's over the next week, and this is encouraging:

I can't speak to that whole list, but a friend rode Jennis, John's, CMG and Ski School yesterday and said it was all GTG. Headed up there tonight. I'd say anything below MM will be fine by the 22nd. Above MM, hard to say.

I've heard Spiro is G2G.

I guess other networks are Corner Canyon, Bobsled, High Star?, Glenwild. Any other fall-back suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I guess other networks are Corner Canyon, Bobsled, High Star?, Glenwild. Any other fall-back suggestions?
    Close to PC there's also Coyote Canyon, Dutch Hollow and Wasatch Mountain State Park near Heber/Midway. Bench Creek trails southeast of Kamas might also be good by then. Sundance isn't too far either.

The only places I saw snow last night below MM were isolated patches on ski runs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The Hidden Hollow trail system in Eagle Mountain is a great place to get in some miles, but it is more of an XC place, not a downhiller's dream world.

mtbr member
    Trail reports on FB and Trailforks seem to indicate things are G2G below MM. So, that plus the surrounding trail networks are good enough to go ahead with the trip.

mtbr member
    Yesterday's trail report from Mountain Trails Foundation:
    "Good morning and Happy Friday PC! Your weekend trail update...

We had thunderstorms on and off throughout the day yesterday, some of which threw down some serious rain. Conditions will likely be on the greasy side to start the day.

Mostly sunny skies, temps pushing 75-degrees and strong winds this afternoon should help to blow dry our local trails and create some superb conditions as we roll into the afternoon hours.

What's rideable up high you ask... Your best bet for a solid loop climb on dirt is either Armstrong/Dawn's/Spiro or the Arm & Ham'R loop- Armstrong, HAM, and Spiro. You'll only encounter a few patches of snow on the latter. On anything above HAM- Mid Mtn, etc, you'll find more snow than dirt at this point. It's probably going to be another two weeks before Mid Mtn is G2G.

One other good mid-elevation option is Sweeny's & John's as an out and back. It's entirely clear but once you pop out at the top of the Town Lift you'll get shut down by snow once again. Jenni's is getting close- it'll probably be one more week before it's snow free.

Basically any trail running through north-facing drainages above 7,500 feet or so is still holding a LOT of snow. This includes Empire Link, John's '99, etc.(see pics)

Also a HEADS UP- MTF"s Round Valley Rambler Half Marathon & 7K is tomorrow morning with an 8am start. Expect a few hundred runners occupying many of the Round Valley trails from roughly 8am-12pm. See course map below and PLEASE avoid these areas until the afternoon. Besides being a kick-ass half marathon, this is a major fundraiser for MTF, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Have a great one out there and we'll see you at the Rambler!"

Apparently Jenni's is good. Sweeny's/John's is completely dry and clear with a new entrance (short uphill only) at the gate.

Yeti/Moose Puddles closed at the bottom as of 11 June.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-11-2019 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I rode / hike-a-biked the Crest today from MM, Tommys, 3 Candles, Keystone, Blazing Saddles; along with Desolation and Great Western. We probably walked a dozen snow fields once on the crest. And several on the approach.

mtbr member

Crest August 1
    Mid Mtn June 25
    F-Dog May 20

-W
    Crest should be July 1st?
    Mid Mtn was about 2 weeks ago?
    F-dog was Memorial Weekend?
    SB165
    SB150
    SB130
    SB100
    FollowingV2
    SB5
    SB55
    SB45
    Farley 9.8

Frame Building Moderator
    Crest should be July 1st?
    Mid Mtn was about 2 weeks ago?
    F-dog was Memorial Weekend?
    I was optimistic on F-dog (it was snowing up there when I thought it would be open!), right on on MM, and probably pessimistic on Crest.

-W

mtbr member
    I rode / hike-a-biked the Crest today from MM, Tommys, 3 Candles, Keystone, Blazing Saddles; along with Desolation and Great Western. We probably walked a dozen snow fields once on the crest. And several on the approach.
    That is actually better than I thought it would be.
    Are you talking 100 foot hikes or quarter mile hikes?

mtbr member
    More like up to a couple of hundred feet. The longest was right after the cell phone tower hut after puke hill.

mtbr member
    More like up to a couple of hundred feet. The longest was right after the cell phone tower hut after puke hill.
    It sure sounds like it's worth doing. Thanks for the report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It sure sounds like it's worth doing. Thanks for the report.
    yep worth doing from Guardsmans to Mill D...not sure about North Crest...prob worth doing/checking out.

Scotts Bypass is GTG with the one typical snow drift you can see from the road at the start ...all the other snow drifts have been dug out. One very small snow drift at the very end before puke hill.

Crest to Desolation Has about 4 large 100-300ft long snowdrifts around the USA bowl area on the double track. The longest one you can ride/surf your bike through it kinda fun.

All the singletrack is gtg and nice and tacky. Would be nice to bring some hand snips to cut back a few of the branches that whip you. Will bring mine next time if someone else doesnt get it.

So yeah totally worth it Guardsmans to Mill D. Not sure beyond that, guessing some large drifts still at the typical spots on those north facing aspects.

Some of the drifts up there are massive, going to be at least another week or two for the snow to completely melt out. Unless you want to wait that long id say to just deal with them and start riding the Crest.

Crest worth it but not quite GTG.