Why so rude on the Bonneville Shoreline trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why so rude on the Bonneville Shoreline trail?

Hey,

So I am on a family vacation visiting my wife's brother in SLC. Thankfully he happens to live right near the Bonneville Shoreline trail access by the Canyon Drive park. His bike happens to sort of fit me, so I'm excited to do some riding on some new terrain.

There are so many offshoot trails I'm not exactly sure where I'm going. So I 'try' and ask some other riders for some info. I was just blown away by how rude the bikers were I passed. Several just rode right around me without even any acknowledgement. The only bikers that even talked to me were a father and son out for a ride, and a couple of students doing some exploring. The 'hardcore' riders I encountered were the worst.

The runners and hikers I passed were extremely friendly. Maybe it;s because I stopped and yielded the trail to them. One couple said I was the first biker to ever do that for them. I said I guess it's because I was from out of state.

So please tell me this is limited to the city folk, and it isn't indicative of Utah mountainbikers..

I'm not trying to make an issue, and I don't know why this bugs me so much. I guess it's because one of the things I love about mountainbiking is the friendship we share with eachother just because we ride a bike.

Anyway thanks for letting rant. The riding was pretty fun, and I know the BST is nothing close to the awesome mountainbiking you have out there.

Mar 2004

Know what you mean...

Sorry you had such a negative time at the BST.

I just took up mtb'ing in March. However, I have also noticed that the riders at BST tend to be less than friendly. This isn't the case with everyone who rides the BST, of course.

I'm not so sure why so many who ride the BST don't observe rules of common courtesy. I have a few theories, but I'll spare you...

Again, it's important to note that there are friendly folks who ride the BST. One guy I met helped me adjust my stem after I took a gnarly crash (two other riders just rode past, by the way, and didn't even ask if I was ok). He and his buddy could have easily blown me off as there was only 20 minutes of light left. But they chose to help out a stranger.

I don't know if you are still in Salt Lake. If you are, I strongly recommend the Wasatch Crest Trail. This one is a must-do for the visiting rider of intermediate and above skill level.

There are several variations that you can ride. Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com for details.

Bring bug spray: the flies bite like crazy.

The WCT peaks just under 10,000 feet so the it won't be nearly as hot as the lower elevation stuff. The locals I met there are usually friendly and courteous.

Oh yeah - if you see a fit bastard with a pimped out black Epic doing intervals there (on a weekday), be sure to say "hello" :-)

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    Oh yeah - if you see a fit bastard with a pimped out black Epic doing intervals there (on a weekday), be sure to say "hello" :-)
    Fit bastard is right! I have been riding for 7 years and 'Climber' kicked my butt on one of the trails north of Salt Lake. Next time he has to ride with an extra 50 pounds of weights tied to his bike.

Anyway...I think you had a bad experience and it is NOT a reflection of most locals. North of Salt Lake, in the Logan area, I have never had an experience with people like that. Anytime I have come across anyone, they have been quick to yield the trail or thank me for yielding to them. People seem willing to say hi, even hikers and horseback riders.

On a different message board, I have noticed a lot of animosity between bikers, so that may be where the cold-shoulder came from.

Or maybe it's just those darn mormons!

KIDDING!

Anyway, I hope your next ride here is better.

Dave

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

The Sentinel

Bein' from the boonies...

...I'm gonna go with the city folk explanation. But Darkan is definitely right about one thing: we have very few of those situations come up on the trails near Logan. So next time you're in the area, come on up and ride with us country Mormon folk!
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Brass Nipples!

DANG Mormons, not darn mormons.

In Utah "dang" is actually the perferred term

Sorry people were rude, generally people I run into in the dirt are much nicer. I don't have any real SLC area bike trail experience, but the Provo Canyon trail had its share of rude cyclists and runner/joggers when I rode it last year.

Saint George has a great bike trail system along with fantastic mountain biking. Come down some time in the Spring or Fall to see. People I meet on the trails here are generally nice.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    I'll add my $0.02 too. Not that I've ridden the BST yet, but I think with any kind of group you get nice people and not so nice people. I swear I get looks from hikers that say "die biker die." Then you've got elitists. I think I ran into a few the other day on the trail. I was going uphill and the guys coming down hill are trying to share the singletrack with me! It was a narrow trail on a hillside. What happened to yeilding to the up hill rider? It wasn't a safe pass in my mind. And leaving your bike resting halfway in the trail, while others try to pass it and avoid hitting the bike, then making a comment about the near miss? Don't leave your bike in the trail buddy. Rant over. I was still pleasant minded and said hello everytime the lapped me.

Darkan now you're making me apprehensive about inviting Climber on a ride!
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 08-05-2004 at 02:52 PM.

Mar 2004

I ain't that fit...

Shannon and Dave, I'll carry your extra gear if/when I ever make up to Logan.

Gotta go and ride now...Cya

Jan 2004
    I am not sure where you were riding, but I ride the SLC shoreline trail alot. I live nearby. I find the rudest(sp) people to be the ones I offer assistance to. I get such attitude for simply asking " you guys alright?" or "have everything you need?" As far as stopping for uphill riders and hikers,I stop. If I am riding when alot of newer riders are out, I feel like they panic because I don't come to a complete stop immediatly.It is so dry, it takes time to stop. That is unless you want to skid all over the trail. It pisses me off when I am coming out Dry Creek and some rider dismounts and gives me flack because he didn't think I was going to stop. Give me a second and just hold your line. Rant over. I know there are lots of riders that haul on that trail, but most ride responsibly. I am sorry you had a bad experience.

Apr 2004

phenomenon

you know, the shoreline trail seems to attract a certain demographic:

guy, mid 30's 40's
    really gucci bike with lots of carbon fiber
    all rigged up with heart rate monitors
    all attitude, little ability...

i have even been told, whilst puttering along,
    "out of my way im in training"

????

i kid u not.....

g

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Out of my way....

That made my afternoon, I have no idea how I could have responded to that.

Aug 2003

Trail courtesy

I too had a recent encounter on Dog Lake where 3 dudes where just flying down with little regard for what was around the next corner. They flew by me and a few seconds later they skidded to a stop avoiding on-comming riders coming around at bend. The riders coming up couldn't believe the recklessness.

I see this kind of thing now and then, but for the most part, the vast majority of people I run into are friendly and good natured.

I can't say I've ever rode on the Bonneville Shoreline trail though.

Jan 2004

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    Hey,
    So I am on a family vacation visiting my wife's brother in SLC. Thankfully he happens to live right near the Bonneville Shoreline trail access by the Canyon Drive park. His bike happens to sort of fit me, so I'm excited to do some riding on some new terrain.
    There are so many offshoot trails I'm not exactly sure where I'm going. So I 'try' and ask some other riders for some info. I was just blown away by how rude the bikers were I passed. Several just rode right around me without even any acknowledgement. The only bikers that even talked to me were a father and son out for a ride, and a couple of students doing some exploring. The 'hardcore' riders I encountered were the worst.
    The runners and hikers I passed were extremely friendly. Maybe it;s because I stopped and yielded the trail to them. One couple said I was the first biker to ever do that for them. I said I guess it's because I was from out of state.
    So please tell me this is limited to the city folk, and it isn't indicative of Utah mountainbikers..
    I'm not trying to make an issue, and I don't know why this bugs me so much. I guess it's because one of the things I love about mountainbiking is the friendship we share with eachother just because we ride a bike.
    Anyway thanks for letting rant. The riding was pretty fun, and I know the BST is nothing close to the awesome mountainbiking you have out there.
    sorry about that

The BST is TERRIBLE!!! ... you have a lot of people who ride it nearly daily, as it is quick access to over a million people, and I think in their frequency of riding it, they have started to act a certain ugly way. Of course, it isn't all the people, just a decent percentage.

The things I see out there all the time are; 1) rare yielding to hikers or runners 2) don't yield to uphill bike 3) snotty atitutudes 4) have dogs along that are off leash, and sometimes aggressive towards other dogs and people, even in the watershed zones 5) "downhillers" who lock up their rear wheels and skid turns 6) WAY TOO FAST for a heavily populated trail with lots of blind corners 7) "downhillers" who blow by all uphill traffic in a very reckless and dangerous way

Even bikers in my own club, who are nice as pie on every other trail, become rude and rule breakers on the BST. I watch MANY of my friends, never yield to peds and uphill traffic on the BST, you try to talk to them about it, and they get angry for being corrected. Whatever.

The BST is different from any other trail I've ridden in Utah, w/ respect to the "atittude" of the people. I think it suffers from "urban trail syndrome" ...

Jan 2004
    I completely agree with Wasatch Walt. I have recently started riding Shoreline after work on Wednesdays, and have discovered a new breed of riders than I usually encounter. I usually ride that trail in the afternoon, but work has been to busy. It is a real shame to see so many disrespectful riders, like those I encountered last night.