The Whole Enchilada and Various Items- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

The Whole Enchilada and Various Items

I'll be in Moab in a week (yahoo!) and will be riding the Whole Enchilada or some variation on that depending on the weather.
    I have three questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with.
    1. Does anyone have a favorite shuttle service? We've always shuttled this ride ourselves in the past with friends but we'll need to pay this time round..
    2. Has the reroute of UPS in the last year changed this portion of the trail drastically, if you've ridden it in the past is it still found easily?
    3. Can anyone offer directions to the Snotch? I've heard it's above the Notch a 1/4 mile or so on the right. Would like to try it as I've heard the Notch is blown out right now.
    Thanks so much for your help!

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden TWE this fall but a little poking around the forum tells me:

1) Porcupine or Uranium Shuttle services are both well liked (we really like Brian at Porcupine Shuttle)
    2) The new reroute of UPS is signed and easy to find and is awesome.
    3) The Snotch is a great, rideable alternative to the Notch and with a bit of searching 1/4 mile uptrail from the Notch it's not too hard to find.

If anyone's got photos of the entrance that would be helpful. It may be covered with branches from what I've read.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-17-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Colo RiverRat
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    The Snotch is a great, rideable alternative to the Notch and with a bit of searching 1/4 mile uptrail from the Notch it's not too hard to find.
    The turnoff for the Snotch is when you are riding on a long flat rock area. Previous bike tracks will show you the way... just slow down and look to your right.

Ok, i know it is tough going slow...............
    Klingon

Ride Hard, Die Free

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    The Notch is all rock, how does it get blown out? If blown out means sandy, then the Notch is perpetually blown out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks so much KRob and LowDesertRider for your assistance, much appreciated. I'm interested in checking out Snotch, ridden Notch to the right hand turn, but haven't been able to make the whole thing, it's awesome to have an alternate route available.

mtbr member
    I rode TWE last Friday. It was awesome, well signed, and easily navigable through UPS. I *really* wish I'd known about an alternative to the Notch. I will definitely do my research for next time.

For shuttling, we had a great experience with Coyote (http://www.coyoteshuttle.com/). The driver was psyched, knowledgeable, and fun to talk to. At the drop (Burro highly recommended and worth the climb) he took us through the trail, connectors, and major turns three times. He mentioned to look for two square sign posts that used to hold a trail marker which had been removed just a few days ago. We ran into two lost groups from other shuttles who had not gotten this helpful little tidbit. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks all for your input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Also looking forward to Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson..

mtbr member
    +1 on Coyote Shuttle...

mtbr member
    If you can find the snotch its a better route to the other ridge with less of a climb with a way fun dirt shoot. Besides the notch is all loose and blown out.
    IMO rockstacker to jackson is way more tech then TWE and a must do. Was just there for a week last week and was lucky to have some local friends guide me around on some new stuff. THANKS to those guys, I owe them some lunch.
    SHITBIRD

Members who have read this thread: 0