the whole enchilada- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

the whole enchilada

Looking for advice;

I am heading to Moab the last weekend in May. I am the only MTB'r going (everyone else is jeeping) and want to ride The Whole Enchilada.

so if anyone out there can help with the following questions it would be great!

1.) Is any shuttle company better then the others? Any reason to NOT use a shuttle?

2.) Should I drop my vehicle at Negro Bill trailhead or somewhere else? I am camping a Sand Flats

3.) anything else I should know about (I have ridden Porcupine rim many times but never this)

4.) Thanks
    Last edited by WP Local; 05-23-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: words

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    If that's the only thing you want to ride I think you'll be outta luck. Our weather has been wacky this year and with several sporadic storms coming through just in the past week the mountains are still getting snow and the daytime temps haven't been high enough to get it melting off. You will probably be able to start at Kokopelli but even Hazard will likely be closed. All the shuttle companies are good, Coyote, Chili Pepper or Poison spider run regularly so ring up one of them. The ride into town from the bottom is only about 4 more miles , so parking at the bottom is optional.
    I'd take a look at some of the new trails out here as many have been built and opened in the last year.
    Enjoy your visit

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.... If the weather isn't good, I will opt for something closer to camp.

mtbr member
    I would try the Poison Spider shuttle. We used the Coyote Shuttle and while they were polite and competent, their van (that we were in) was a slug. I wasn't sure we were ever going to make it up that mountain.

mtbr member
    I agree on the vehicle speeds of some of the coyote vans, but they do have some newer ones (I was on the old vw). Their service is very good and Christy is awesome when you call in.

I had one driver that dropped a lot of local knowledge on routes/rides.

I'm sure they are all good, but I used coyote and was pleased.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by WP Local View Post
    Looking for advice;

I am heading to Moab the last weekend in May. I am the only MTB'r going (everyone else is jeeping) and want to ride The Whole Enchilada.

so if anyone out there can help with the following questions it would be great!

1.) Is any shuttle company better then the others? Any reason to NOT use a shuttle?

2.) Should I drop my vehicle at Negro Bill trailhead or somewhere else? I am camping a Sand Flats

3.) anything else I should know about (I have ridden Porcupine rim many times but never this)

4.) Thanks
    1) Not in my experience. They'll all get you to the top of the hill which is the ultimate goal. I don't see any reason not to use a shuttle if you're by yourself. If you can get one of your buddies that are jeepin' to give you a ride you'll save yourself $25.

2) If you're going to drop a car drop it there or the parking lot across the road from the trailhead. The ride back to town isn't all that bad, if you had to split the difference, park at the intersection of 191 and 128. If you can get one of your friends to shuttle your car then park at the trailhead.

3) It might be longer than you think. Between photo ops, mechanicals, and milage you might find yourself out longer than you had originally planned. As a random shop person said "it's a two sandwich ride."

4) You're welcome.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Desert Seeker
    Note that Koko Down can alternatively be ridden as Jimmy Keen Down, which adds about 6 more miles of pedally/flowy single track to the ride to the river. Still definitely worth doing even if things higher up are closed.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I really appreciate all the advice. I am leaving a day before my buddies specifically to do this ride... that is why I wanted to shuttle.

just 3 more days of work....just 3 more days of work.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I would try the Poison Spider shuttle. We used the Coyote Shuttle and while they were polite and competent, their van (that we were in) was a slug. I wasn't sure we were ever going to make it up that mountain.
    Coyote's Vanagonagons are running turbos now.
    Not slow anymore.

Porcupine Shuttle is always the solid option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    1) I avoid Coyote Shuttle, based on past experiences and service. As other's have said Porcupine Shuttle and The Whole Enchilada are the shuttle's I would recommend.

If you have time I would check out the trails by Amasa Back, such as Captain Ahab. Since those trails are #2 on my list when I am down there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode TWE from Kokopeli down and it will still a blast. Used the one out of poison spider and they were cool and got the job done. They were spot on with their call to send us down Kokopeli after they checked out the soil. As others mentioned they have been getting lots of rain. They steered us away from Jimmy Keen as they figured that trail had more shaded areas that would be muddy. It could clear up by the time you make it up there.

I also rode HyMass up and Captain Ahab down and that was super fun. HyMass was the funnest techie climb I have done but I was expecting a little more constant down on Ahab but it had some punchy hills to climb. Was still great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Shame about the weather. Is TWE well sign posted and easy to follow for some one doing it for the first time and getting a shuttle up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy73 View Post
    Shame about the weather. Is TWE well sign posted and easy to follow for some one doing it for the first time and getting a shuttle up?
    It's pretty well marked, but there are a couple places to take different ways down. Most all of the main trails are actually marked "the whole enchilada ".

But imo, a $2 investment for the small map is worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just did TWE from UPS a couple weekends ago using Coyote shuttle. Any shuttle will do, they just take you up and drop you off.
    Trail is very well marked and unless you're deaf AND blind, you're not going to get lost.
    Enjoy.

mtbr member
    I am going to be out in Grand Junction for work mid June and was planning on riding around there but also cruising over to Moab for a day of riding. I was looking at the whole enchilada shuttle but was curious how's the heat factor this time of year?

Desert Seeker
    Best to try and get an early shuttle that time of year but not always possible. Generally, heat is not a factor to the bottom of LPS. Once you hit the Porcupine double-track, things can get sticky, heat-wise. Instead of taking a right on the double-track, some choose to go left down the Porcupine "climb" and then a right on Sand Flats Rd back to town. Sand Flats is exposed but is largely a coast back home. Porcupine works you all the way down to the river and obviously it gets hotter with the loss in elevation and the heating of the day. If you can tolerate it, just bring extra water! Temps in town can easily be a 100 or so mid-afternoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden View Post
    It's pretty well marked, but there are a couple places to take different ways down. Most all of the main trails are actually marked "the whole enchilada ".

But imo, a $2 investment for the small map is worth it.
    Thanks! A map is definitely on the cards.