Whole Enchilada- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whole Enchilada

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Whole Enchilada

Trying to decide whether to do The Whole Enchilada this weekend or start at Hazard.
    I've done the Hazard start all the way down and love it, it rocks, so I was thinking of adding on Burro this time. My question is, is it worth it? Does it have the same fun factor the Hazard/UPS/LPS/PS has?
    It's gonna be cold up there on Burro, they don't really have any snow yet, so the trails should be open.
    Any feedback?
    Thanks so much!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    It's worth it! Hazard down is great times, Burro Pass down is even more great times.

You have to push/ride up to the top of Burro Pass and then drop down into the trees from there. You ride down through Dark timber with steep switchbacks, roots and some fun features then go through Aspens before popping out near Hazard for the Sage Brush section down to Kokopelli.

It adds a lot of time and effort however as you have to do the climb up to Burro and then loose a lot of height dropping down to Warner Camp Ground and Hazard. Very worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks zzsean, I've been told it's 8 miles and adds about 2 hours to the ride over all, it sounds like our riding here in the mountains of Colorado.
    According to Chili Pepper bikes they're expected rain tomorrow and snow up high so we'll see how things shape up by this weekend, but I think I'd like to try it. BTW, how long did it take you to push/ride to the top of Burro and is route finding easy enough?

mtbr member
    Can somone tell me what the chances of riding the Whole Encilada are the first week on Nov.? It'll be my first trip to Moab and I'm trying to plan out our ride intenerary. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Snow on 10/24 at Burro Pass

We tried to ride Burro Pass yesterday, but our shuttle got stuck in the snow and had to turn around. We ended up riding up the road to the Hazard County trail head. From Hazard county, the trail was in great condition. If you are going to use a shuttle service, I would recommend Uranium Bicycles. He saw us peddling up the road and gave us a free ride for the last 2-3 miles, saving us a lot of climbing!.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmojo
    Can somone tell me what the chances of riding the Whole Encilada are the first week on Nov.?
    Best guess would be 2.5% to 6.7%. It would depend on how much snow melts or falls between now and then.

mtbr member
    If any of the snow that is hitting SLC right now makes it down there, you wont be riding much at all.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Best guess would be 2.5% to 6.7%. It would depend on how much snow melts or falls between now and then.
    VT:

I apologize for being so optimistic about being able to ride the whole WE this coming weekend. If I mislead you I am sorry for that. An option would be to take a shuttle as high as possible on the Warner Lake Road then when the shuttle can't go any further get out and push your bike up the front side of Burro Pass as far as you are physically able then turn around and head back down the trail to do the rest of the WE.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...opnav_vacation

TD

mtbr member
    Wow that weather forecast looks promising for next week. I was a little worried, yesterday it was colder in Moab then it was in Burlington, VT! Looks like we planned it well.

No problem Trail Doc.. I thought it was funny. I'm not interested in riding in the snow when I'm out west, I'll get plenty of that here in VT this winter. We'll probably shuttle as high as possible and ride from there. I've got six days of riding and it's my first trip to Moab, so I'm sure there's plenty of riding without the upper section of TWE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Burro was closed due to recent snow when I was there this past weekend. We started from Hazard, good to go from there.

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat as the OP.

Thanks for info.

actually, on a goat now.
    so at this point in time, hazard is still fine? we're planning to do hazard and down on sunday.
    heads up, i work in a shop that sells cannondale, cervelo, diamondback, raleigh, and niner. now you know. :D

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by on a mission
    so at this point in time, hazard is still fine? we're planning to do hazard and down on sunday.
    With the total $hite weather forecast we're not planning to get as high as Hazzard this w/e. We'd be satisfied at this point with UPS/LPS/Porc. But you never know...

actually, on a goat now.
    yeah, i'm a bit concerned, and some of the other guys spearheading the group have pretty much put the trip on hold as far as they are concerned. maybe i'll still go down, i don't know...
    heads up, i work in a shop that sells cannondale, cervelo, diamondback, raleigh, and niner. now you know. :D

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We're likely going down... it looks from the satellite images that there is a nice window coming Moab's way that may spare it most of the moisture. Here's to positive thinking!

actually, on a goat now.
    i'm down with positive thinking.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    We're likely going down... it looks from the satellite images that there is a nice window coming Moab's way that may spare it most of the moisture. Here's to positive thinking!
    Raining a little right now in town. Moreso in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any updates? Comin' out this wknd, would love to ride from Koko down.....Thanks

More Chasmism
    First significant snowstorm of the season two days ago. A good dumping up in the mountains and even a bit in the desert around town. Despite the expected sun of the next few days, I doubt Koko will be ridable by this weekend. Maybe LPS at best. The upper part of Porcupine proper might even have residual snow.

hfly

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks hfly! I'll be out for 9 or 10 days, so maybe around turkey day. Gives me an idea of what to expect......so thanks again!!

Shoulda went faster
    Any updates on conditions? Heading out tomorrow, thanks!!

Members who have read this thread: 0