White Rim Trail Advice- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

New question here. White Rim Trail Advice

Got invited to do the White Rim in mid October. We have a permit and Sag support but I am soliciting any advice on the trail. We are staying at Goosebeyy B the first night, Murphy B, second night, and the third night will be at Labyrinth B.

Are there any side trips to take during the ride?
    Suggestions on gear, tents, food, etc?

I am from Tucson and do not know that much about what additional gear I will need besides the normal MTB stuff. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

user-created
    There's a spur to the river near Musselman Arch, I can't think of what it's called... but it's worth checking out. Like an extra mile each way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I know that location!

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    There's a spur to the river near Musselman Arch, I can't think of what it's called... but it's worth checking out. Like an extra mile each way.
    Sorry, this is way OT, BUT...singletrack--that picture you have on your postings is exactly like one that I took of my truck parked at the Amasa Back trailhead! I use that picture as a desktop on one of my computers. And your posting-name is eerily like my email address. Like my sister would say--"it's one of those parallel universe things."

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuc
    Got invited to do the White Rim in mid October. We have a permit and Sag support but I am soliciting any advice on the trail. We are staying at Goosebeyy B the first night, Murphy B, second night, and the third night will be at Labyrinth B.

Are there any side trips to take during the ride?
    Suggestions on gear, tents, food, etc?

I am from Tucson and do not know that much about what additional gear I will need besides the normal MTB stuff. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
    I've heard White Crack is pretty cool, but I've always been in too big of a hurry to go see it.

Take lots of water. There is none on the trail. I had a tent that needed to have pegs driven into the soil at one camp and there wasn't any soil! Think about how you're going to hold things down in the wind you'll most likely encounter at some point.

I've been snowed on in April and September. Be prepared for foul weather, though the weather will likely be delightful. It would be good if your sag is familiar with the road. The clay in some areas is very dangerous when wet. I remember the Murphy Hogback being the worst in bad weather. We had to turn around once on a clockwise trip after making it nearly to the hogback because it was too dangerous for the sag vehicle.

I don't think you'll get cell service anywhere on the trail. I was paranoid and took a signal mirror when I went solo, but you'll usually pass several groups each day that can help in emergencies. Short of a chopper ride, it takes a long time getting out of the middle of the trail, so have at least a good first aid kit.

Be sure to take a camera, the views are awesome.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lathrop Canyon

You can ride down to the river at Lathrop Canyon.

White Crack is a short spur that is completely worth it for the view.

There is a hiking trail up to Upheaval Dome from near Potato Bottom.

As mentioned, take tons of water. Just for drinking you'll need a gallon per day per person. Add in cooking, washing dishes and wiping yourself down, and you need A LOT of water. Don't forget that first aid needs water, too. Take extra. For example, five people, three days, I'd take at least 30 gallons. Seriously.

It will be COLD in the morning, and fires are not allowed. Make sure you have plenty of warm clothes for mornings, including a warm hat and gloves that don't stink.

As I found on a White Rim trip in November one time, Butane stoves don't work worth a darn at that altitude when it is below freezing, which it may be in the mornings. I have never jonesed for coffee in the morning like I did on that trip. Oh yeah, don't forget the coffee.

One more thing. Make sure your sag vehicle doesn't suck. A tow out of White Rim is hugely expensive. Make sure you have good tires, a good spare, a good jack, some fix-a-flat, and a truck tire plug kit. Antifreeze or extra water. Oil. Fuses. Duct tape in case of a blown hose. A good battery. I carry this stuff called JB Weld that is like a super metal epoxy. It can fix a hole in a gas tank or oil pan. And don't forget to FILL THE GAS TANK before heading out. Since they graded out the tough sections of the road, some companies run trips with one ton 2WD vans, but remember they have backup available. If you are on your own, you ought to be running 4WD with decent tires. Rocks can rip out sidewalls, so decent tires are a must.

Camera, books to read, maps/GPS (not that you'd get lost, but it is cool to see where you are in relation to various landmarks), MP3 player. If you are geeks or paranoid types, FRS radios are a good idea. Flashlights/lanterns and a lot of fuel or batteries (it gets dark early, and remember, no fires). Stove fuel.

I saw one time a portable fire pit that burned charcoal. That might be an option as a fire replacement if you have room. Check with NPS, but I'm pretty positive it would be allowed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    my suggestion is to bring a ton of beer or weed, whichever your preference. it's about 1 1/2 days worth of actual riding, so if you take 3-4 days, you will have plenty of free time on your hands to party.

the only time i've pedaled it, we did it in one day. i think 2 days would be more enjoyable now that i'm out of shape, and still leave plenty of time for scenery.

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Members who have read this thread: 0