White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed

I just got off the phone with the Moab rangers and they told me last night's monsoon rainstorms washed out major sections of the Mineral Bottom switchbacks. It may require complete rebuilding of the road and could take 6 weeks. This would adversely folks with camping reservations trying to do the 100mi loop the next couple of months.

I live in Colorado and was wondering if someone local (Moab) could comment on the weather/rains, give more information on this situation and other trail conditions in the area......
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I found this picture off of Mountain Buzz, a rafting website. It looks like it may be some time before they get the road back open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed-mineral_bottom.jpg  

Luddite technophile
    We went out there yesterday to look at it. Wow. That must have been an impressive waterfall of mud and rock coming over the edge. I don't see how Grand County is going to find the money to do any repairs, unless the Feds kick in a bunch. In fact, it's really to tough imagine how they are going to repair it at all. The first washout is only 5-6 ft deep, but they get worse as it goes down the hill. I stopped my inspection at the third washout, which was probably a 30-40 foot deep gash across the road. It was worth the drive out there just to see it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So they haven't started work repairing the road yet, if you hear anything please post it up. USF Park Rangers said they have alot of cancelations for sept. We're suposed to do the loop (starting at mineral bottom) the 3rd week of Oct.

Luddite technophile
    You might want to start thinking about a backup plan. I believe the Moab paper was talking about weeks to months, and I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't months. I'm sure they want to get it done because there are many businesses that rely on that road. I hope they do. I'll be impressed if it's done before winter.

Your best source of info will probably be calling NPS.

Luddite technophile

compare and contrast

one year ago vs three days ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed-p1020004_2.jpg  

White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed-p1030335_2.jpg  

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Is the road "closed" to unsupported WRIAD riders? Seems to me if you don't have a car, you wouldn't have too much trouble picking your way through there and finishing your ride.

I suppose like all roads that are way out in the middle of somewhere, it's only closed if you meet a ranger.

JMH

mtbr member
    Holy mass wasting, batman That must have been some impressive runoff.

It would be a long way but you could make it to Bowknot Bend and exit out Spring Canyon Bottom Road. A shuttle vehicle can make it down to the river from there and pretty far downstream. I'm not certain but I believe the ATVs have pushed from there south to Hell Roaring Canyon (the next canyon north of Mineral Bottom). Or I could be totally wrong but it might be worth investigating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Closed indefinitely

Here is the news I think everyone expected after seeing the photos: Mineral Bottom is closed indefinitely, and it will be at least 2011 before they can start on the 2-3 months work it will take to repair.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...losed.html.csp

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The road is "officially closed to motor vehicles," I called the park service yesterday, but seems like somebody with a sense of adventure must be working on a portage for hikers/mountain bikers. We're going to do our annual WRIAD lap the middle of Oct. and I think we will do it CCW. That way, if we get denied it will be at sunrise threading a path thru the mess. If there's no way thru, then we move on to Plan-B and another ride.
    So, adventurous types, speak up...
    -B

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWind
    The road is "officially closed to motor vehicles," I called the park service yesterday, but seems like somebody with a sense of adventure must be working on a portage for hikers/mountain bikers. We're going to do our annual WRIAD lap the middle of Oct. and I think we will do it CCW. That way, if we get denied it will be at sunrise threading a path thru the mess. If there's no way thru, then we move on to Plan-B and another ride.
    -B
    Yes, it sucks, but I think getting arrested and paying a $1000 fine might suck a little worse.

The road is on BLM land, so BLM rules apply:

Sec. 9262.1 Penalties for unauthorized use, occupancy, or development of public lands. Under section 303(a) of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (43 U.S.C. 1733(a)) any person who knowingly and willfully violates the provisions of Secs. 2801.3(a), 2812.1-3, 2881.3, or 2920.1-2(a) of this title, by using public lands without the requisite authorization, may be tried before a United States magistrate and fined no more than $1,000 or imprisoned for no more than 12 months, or both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    -B
    Not sure if BLM is calling the entire route closed, or just the switchbacks, but if your willing to portage, why not consider hiking in on one of the trails that hits the white rim trail after the washout? The only one I have personally done (without a bike) is the trail that takes you to Murphy Hogback. I wouldn't want to do the hike it in my Sidi's, but a light pair of trail runners that you could swap out for your bike shoes later might work.

Map with the hiking trials is here:
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/island.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow, that's quite a heavy blow. I'd hate to have you show up at my birthday party.
    I'm sure our vehicle will be speeding at one point along the way to and from Moab. BTW, my middle name translates to Risk Taker in Choctow.
    -B

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Yes, it sucks, but I think getting arrested and paying a $1000 fine might suck a little worse.

The road is on BLM land, so BLM rules apply:

Sec. 9262.1 Penalties for unauthorized use, occupancy, or development of public lands. Under section 303(a) of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (43 U.S.C. 1733(a)) any person who knowingly and willfully violates the provisions of Secs. 2801.3(a), 2812.1-3, 2881.3, or 2920.1-2(a) of this title, by using public lands without the requisite authorization, may be tried before a United States magistrate and fined no more than $1,000 or imprisoned for no more than 12 months, or both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the alternative thought. However, in response to the other person quoting BLM laws and fines, there are probably tougher consequences for taking a bike on a NP hiking trail. I think the sane thing to do is scout a portage around/thru the washouts. This sounds much more appealing that hiking 5 miles with a bike. Discussing this [a portage] with the BLM/NP is probably not going to be productive. CYA and liability issues will bring out the worst in them. However, whining to the BLM/NPS about when the road is going to be fixed will help... In the meantime, I'll be trying to find someone with info on a portage...
    -B

Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa
    Not sure if BLM is calling the entire route closed, or just the switchbacks, but if your willing to portage, why not consider hiking in on one of the trails that hits the white rim trail after the washout? The only one I have personally done (without a bike) is the trail that takes you to Murphy Hogback. I wouldn't want to do the hike it in my Sidi's, but a light pair of trail runners that you could swap out for your bike shoes later might work.

Map with the hiking trials is here:
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/island.pdf

Bored Carp
    We were in the park once when Shafer Switchbacks were closed. We had planned to just go through and walk the sections we couldn't ride, assuming the closure applied more to cars that would have encountered a dangerous driving situation. However, there was a ranger stationed at the base of the road all day, specifically to keep an eye out for people who ignored the closure, cyclists included. We had to turn around.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    We were in the park once when Shafer Switchbacks were closed. We had planned to just go through and walk the sections we couldn't ride, assuming the closure applied more to cars that would have encountered a dangerous driving situation. However, there was a ranger stationed at the base of the road all day, specifically to keep an eye out for people who ignored the closure, cyclists included. We had to turn around.
    That surprises me. Although we weren't in the Park when I took the picture above, we did walk down the road. Never would have thought it to be illegal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is the story in the Moab Times-Independent. It says the road is closed through the switchbacks, and that the debris is unstable.

A lot of people are impacted by this closure and no one is happy, but the way government money things are, I'm not counting on being able to use the road any time soon.

http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_s...ome_news_right

"The road is closed about 12 miles from the turnoff on state Route 313, just before the road’s well-known switchbacks begin, county officials said in the news release.

Several switchback sections were completely washed out by the force of water and falling debris, and material that fell near the switchbacks is “extremely unstable,” according to the news release. County officials said access to the road should not be attempted."

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Here is the story in the Moab Times-Independent. It says the road is closed through the switchbacks, and that the debris is unstable.

"
    I would definitely agree with the unstable part. At each spot where the road ends, it is clear that it has been undercut. We were careful not to stand near the edge of the cuts.

Here's another perspective for anyone who thinks it would be easy to scramble down the hill:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed-mb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is a sobering photo. This ride will have to wait until next year (at least) for me. Too many other places to go to take the safety/monetary risks. I must be getting old.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Curious you didn't post the very next shot from that series that clearly shows Huckin Kitty making short work of the new features.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Rim Tr-Mineral Bottom closed-mb_hk.jpg  

Luddite technophile
    go huckin' kitty go! love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There's a kitty with cojones.

Luddite technophile
    Is huckin kitty a Utard?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This will probably be my final post in this thread until after we ride White Rim...
    I don't want to attract any more attention to this gray area situation which might cause a knee-jerk, CYA, governmental reaction...
    However, I will throw out that I heard:
    A group of Trail Mix and other volunteers were allowed to go in and establish a cairned path to get thru/around the washouts. And if you look at the people in the photos [forget Evil wannabees and talented cats], especially the ones on the 'other' side of the lower down switchbacks, notice how they don't look like fit mountaineering Roman gods.
    With a sense of adventure,
    -Barry
    Last edited by BarryWind; 09-15-2010 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Party on dude. Post up with a report when you are done....or need bail money

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This will probably be my final post in this thread until after we ride White Rim...
    I don't want to attract any more attention to this gray area situation which might cause a knee-jerk, CYA, governmental reaction...
    However, I will throw out that I heard:
    A group of Trail Mix and other volunteers were allowed to go in and establish a cairned path to get thru/around the washouts. And if you look at the people in the photos [forget Evil wannabees and talented cats], especially the ones on the 'other' side of the lower down switchbacks, notice how they don't look like fit mountaineering Roman gods.
    With a sense of adventure,
    -Barry
    huh? i must be blinded by the kitty...I don't see any people, roman gods or not...but good to hear none-the-less. ( some other pics besides those in this post? ) and for what its worth, i heard that it was passable on foot too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry. Photos are here. Check the three links in the "Photos" section. Maybe I saw the Evil Knevil wannabe in another thread of this topic, but in the same spirit as the Big Air Gato! -B
    http://www.nps.gov/cany/news082410.htm

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    huh? i must be blinded by the kitty...I don't see any people, roman gods or not...but good to hear none-the-less. ( some other pics besides those in this post? ) and for what its worth, i heard that it was passable on foot too.

Luddite technophile
    Just be careful near the edges where the road has been undercut - wouldn't want that to give way underneath you. If you can get down, then the rest of the way is definitely do-able. Someone recently drove to Mineral Bottom to try and get a stranded truck out (unsuccessfully). Good luck - be careful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry to move the thread, but I posted here... -B

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...25900#poststop

Members who have read this thread: 0