White Rim in One NIGHT- Mtbr.com
    Your Best Friend

White Rim in One NIGHT

On Friday, June 13th Adventure Earth will be leading a ride around the famed White Rim trail, in one night.

This will be a fully supported ride with two support vehicles, food, water and assorted spares.

Friday, June 13th is forecast to be a full moon. We did this ride last year and amazingly enough, were able to ride nearly the entire time without our lights on. The moonlight was perfect and really lit up the canyons in a way that most people don't get to see.

The intent is to meet at the top of Mineral Bottom road at 7pm and to ride counter-clockwise. End time is whenever we all get finished. No speed agenda.

A pancake and egg breakfast will be provided at the end of the ride for all participants.

Temperatures can really fluctuate this time of year but with last year as a reference, temps were 90 degrees at midnight and dropped to a low of 70 at 5am.

Please PM me if you'd like more details or go to https://adventureearth.rezdy.com to sign up. Cost is only $30 to cover the support.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Your Best Friend
    Bumping this.

Pretty good sized group going so far.

Additional details concerning the support. One truck will head off at 7 pm going clockwise. It will make a provisions drop at 20 miles and 40 miles. These will include water, food, spares and anything each person would like to add in. The truck will then continue on until it meets the other truck at the back of the group going the other direction (giving out additional supplies to riders it passes).

The second truck will start with the group but will move ahead about 25 miles. This way no one will have to start with lights. As riders pass this truck, they can install lights, get additional water/food and then continue on as they see fit. As the last rider passes, this truck will take up a following position.

Once both trucks are together, they will each follow along behind the last riders.

Keep in mind that even though you will have lights, unless it is a very overcast night, you will most likely not need them. Last year we only used them in technical sections (rare) or when trying to go down hill fast. Each of us was able to make the enitre trip on one set of batteries.

We are trying to make this ride as self paced friendly as possible. If you feel like riding in a truck for any duration of time, feel free. You can hop back out whenever you want.

Your Best Friend
    Bump, two weeks out. Good sized group so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's a good price for a supported ride out there. Wish I had the time and was in shape to do this.

Your Best Friend
    Down to the wire! 24 people signed up so far. The weather looks like it will be perfect with a clear night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    anybody with a bit more info would be awesome...

ill be coming from norcal on amtrak arriving friday morning at 4 am...should be able to get some shut eye then hopefully come join..

please advise which bike would be best suited, course distance (route is not important since ive never ridden in utah) elevation gain, start location, expected ride time, etc...

thanks

mtbr member
    Seoulriding, the white rim trail is mostly a rock / sand jeep road. Best bike is probably a short travel full suspension, just because the rocky sections may be hard on the sit bones on such a long ride. There are some sandy sections, so a cross bike wouldn't be a good choice. I have done the entire ride on a hard tail, just not all at once.

Elevation gain is around 4000 feet, with much of that being the schafer climb, which is a gravel road with a bunch of switchbacks. The climbs are pretty spread out from each other. At least some of the other climbing will be rocky (loose) but not technical.

I believe Silentfoe lists the start as the top of Mineral Bottom road. It is well marked, and one of the few roads on a map of the area. For reference, the start of Mag7/Gemini Bridges road (where shuttles drop off for mag7) is another 100 yards down the paved road running out to Dead Horse.

See u there.

Your Best Friend
    @Seoulriding
    Hope you make it. I have several bikes still available. If you PM me, I can see if I have one in your size. Where are you getting dropped off from Amtrak? We can help you get a ride down and back from the SLC area. Expected ride time? Well, depending on your own fitness, anywhere from 6 to 14+ hours. I fully expect everyone to be done by 8-9am the next morning. The turn off to Mineral Bottom road is right off of U-313. Should be pretty easy to find.

mtbr member
    Surprised I haven't clicked on this thread before now. Hope is all going well with the Moonlight ride tonight..

Couldn't have done it this year due to Fears Tears and Beers commitments which is also this weekend, but I would love to do this ride some day. I'll keep a closer eye on the forums for the next announcement.

Also looking forward to some reports from the participants from tonight's ride.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    We anticipate doing it every year. I'll make sure to right a decent report.

Your Best Friend
    Wow. This was incredible.

Your Best Friend

Re: White Rim in One NIGHT

A quick teaser until I have more time to write the report.