White Rim Conditions, if not now, when?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

White Rim Conditions, if not now, when?

I'm thinking of re-tracing the White Rim in Day ride we did last year in May and I'm curious how early the trail opens up? I realize it is probably relative to the year, weather, etc., but does anyone know if it's already dry or does it get more snow than Moab, less snow or ?

One of the upcoming weekends would be preferred, but I can wait depending on conditions.

Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    I did it last weekend.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the update, but can you give me any details? Is there snow in the shade this time of year? Is it completely dry? Are there others driving/riding it this time of year as well? Thanks

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007
    I just completed it last week, the weather was great for the most part. Shafer trl is closed until april 1st, theres still a little snow on it. I stayed at gooseberry & potato bottom

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Did you do it self-supported? Looks like it was cool, if not cold. Did you take a tent and bag? How much water did you carry? 3 days, 2 nights?

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007
    Initially I was going to do it self supported but then my parents came along. It was chilly at night, we were snowed on briefly at the first camp. The temps in the day were perfect for riding ~ low to mid 60's. I just rode with bags because I had a SLR camera in one ouch and tools/food/clothes in the other one

The main thing about riding this solo is carrying enough water/food. Pm me if you want to know where you can filter/replenish your water. Food could be another concern but you can get creative and carry light. At least bring a bivy because the weather has been crazy down there lately.

I did it in 3 days/2nights. If your in reasonable shape this should not be a problem, even self supported.

hopefully you can arrannge some decent camps this time of year, it was pretty much full when I booked a month ago...

Velocipede Jockey
    shafer is closed? so is it possible to to it as a loop in one day any more?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipede jockey
    shafer is closed? so is it possible to to it as a loop in one day any more?
    Yes. Long Canyon/Potash Rd allow you to avoid Shafer. It must add at least 25 miles, so be ready for a long day. Check the MOAB sticky for details.

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007
    long canyon drops in at dead horse

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    From my measurements it's almost 25 miles from where you leave the pavement until you connect to the bottom where Shafer and the White Rim meet. If you subtract the roughly 11 miles that you then avoid of pavement and on the Shafer trail, the extra mileage should only be 14ish.

For some reason 114 sounds much better to me than 125.

What's the road/trail like that goes from the pavement down to Long Canyon and then over to where Shafer and White Rim proper meet?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by travelmannn
    If you subtract the roughly 11 miles that you then avoid of pavement and on the Shafer trail, the extra mileage should only be 14ish.

What's the road/trail like that goes from the pavement down to Long Canyon and then over to where Shafer and White Rim proper meet?
    Yeah, that sounds about right. It's just more dirt road as usual, maybe 1 mile of pavement between Jughandle and the Potash plant and then it switches back to dirt. You do a decent amount of up to get to the bottom of Shafer, but it's spread over a long distance.

Some really old, not very helpful pics from a day we were turned back by a Ranger at the bottom of Shafer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7600049411259/

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hopefully it will be looking good by the middle of next week, I should be out there next Wednesday through Friday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Finally got out to do the White Rim yesterday. 8 hours and 38 minutes. Beautiful day despite the forecast.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Shafer switchbacks were open?

That's a quick WRIAD... we slowpoked with several long breaks to do it in 12 hours, I think 10 would have been fairly doable without screwing around. Sub 9 is just plain fast!

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 0