mtbr member

White Rim Alternative

A group of friends are coming to do the White Rim for 4 days beginning on Monday. I've been eyeing the weather warily and it's just getting hotter and hotter, 96 on M and T, 97 on W and Th. Any alternative suggestions for a cooler place to group camp (10 of us) and ride for a few days? I'm thinking maybe something up in the La Sals, but I don't know that area well. Singletrack or jeep roads are fine, I think quite a few of them are strong endurance but intermediate technical ability.

We're heading out tomorrow afternoon to meet them (my husband and I live in Durango, the rest of them are coming from Boulder) but I can check in on my phone through tomorrow evening for replies. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yes, the La Sals are much cooler and you can ride the upper Whole Enchilada (TWE) and a few other trails. Plenty of primitive camping up there if you don't get a campsite. Camp high up and drop TWE and ride into Moab early and take a shuttle back to Burro Pass. Arrange ahead of time.

White Rim = buzzards waiting for you to die in the heat in the summer. I know of one overhanging rock you can find shade under but usually there is a Jeep there. Maybe farther out there is another such rock, I haven't rode the whole road.

Not really scientific but if 97 in Moab then it will feel like 115 on the rocks. Sure, dry heat, but... This is not the White Rim time of the year.

Maybe Crested Butte? Not sure about the snow issue there now. Park City? Or ride Moab trails really early and be at the brewery by noon. Evening rides can be nice. Really, an early shuttle for TWE or Mag 7 is a great adventure and probably no deaths in your group.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    They want to give it a try, but if it's miserable we will reverse course the next day and argue for the Lasals. I thought twe might be a little hard for this group but we will see. Thanks.

mtbr member
    So here's how it went: Monday we rode down Mineral Bottom to Hardscrabble. It was early enough not to be too hot, though the Green is at high water and has overrun the Taylor Canyon crossing to a couple of feet deep. We rigged shade tarps and spent the very long and hot afternoon alternately flopped in the shade and submerged in the river. It was very buggy. We talked about getting up at 5am and continuing, but then we'd have a long afternoon without shade or a river, so we opted to reverse course. So Tuesday we rode back up, early enough it wasn't bad and we had some shade on the road, and after retrieving the extra cars set up camp where some of us had camped the night before, about one mile down Mineral Bottom Road. Some people wanted to go into town for showers and civilization, and on the way back they dropped a car at the Gemini Bridges trailhead.

So Wednesday morning we rode to the Mag 7 upper TH and rode down in various groups depending on ability (Bull Run, Getaway, or the road). It was quite pleasant until the end which was horrifically sandy, and hot due to both time and elevation - we'd started a bit late unfortunately and tackling Gooney Bird Hill at 11 was rather warm. But it was fun and I think an earlier start would have made it better.

Thursday most of the group left to head back home but as my husband and I had a shorter drive we opted to ride the Horsethief trails which we hadn't done before and really enjoyed. The higher elevation of the mesa made a big difference. (One of the trucks we'd taken down the White Rim road had an outdoor temp reading and there was about 8 deg F difference between the bottom and the top.)

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Interesting, and thanks for the update!

Don't know the Gooney Bird Hill name but if you rode out the bottom of Gemini Bridges you would first encounter the sand trap and then road makes a pain-in-the-ass climb up the cliffs before the final descent to the highway. That climb is very unpopular, as is the sand when dry.

At the bottom of Bull Run is the Auth's Corner trailhead where Bull Run meets Getaway and Great Escape. I park there and climb Getaway. Great Escape is one of my favorite trails.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's the same exit - there's a rock formation that looks kind of like Sam the Eagle from the Muppets over the sand trap area.

We left a non4wd at the parking lot so no option to drive up. The group had enough beginner-level people that the full Mag7 with the scary stuff on the rim was not an option. In fact three people bailed from the Getaway descent to the GB road because it was too technical(!!) for them - they are strong riders but mostly ride road bikes, and the singletrack freaked them a bit.

I actually am not super familiar with these trails - I have only been on them once before, and that was not biking but running the Dead Horse 50k in 2014. The race course started at the parking lot and went up and over that cliff shelf road and then did Arth's Corner and Getaway up, Bull Run and Great Escape down, and back to the start over the hill again. After that I have always wanted to get back and try riding them!

I have to say that yesterday morning on, hmm, Mustang Loop and Whirlwind Loop (and back and forth on the Chisholm Trail and part of Rodeo) was excellent. Rodeo is too sandy right now but hopefully it will get tamped down with time. The trail-building there is impressive, such nice rock ramps.
    Last edited by ilanarama; 06-09-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: oops wrong trail name

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I have a 2WD drive van so I drive down GB Road to Auth's. No problem for high clearance and Subaru clearance cars. When I'm done with Great Escape and Hidden Canyon and ride up the rode to my van. That is such a great area to ride!

I love Chisholm and can't wait to try the new trail above it.

I've rode up 7-up to the Horsethief trails, down Chisholm, and then Big Lonely and Big Mesa to that TH. Great loop but the sand on 7-up gets old so sometimes I just ride up the highway then drop Chisholm, etc. Love that ride!

My experience with roadies is that even on beginner / low intermediate tread they freak.

:-)

Not always of course.

Other than Klondike, I rarely get to other trails in my 6 weeks a year in Moab. There is just so much great riding and scenery off Hwy 313.