Where is Upper Porcupine Rim?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Where is Upper Porcupine Rim?

My wife and I are heading to Moab tonight and would like to know more about this so-called Upper Porcupine Rim area. I've also heard references to Burro Pass and Hazard County, but I don't know if these are all the same thing or not.

We've ridden Porc Rim a number of times, so we're familiar with the main trail, but not anything above it. The only info I could find was this post from MacRider:
    also, if you do Porcupine Rim - head up beyond the normal start (the beginning of the climb) - keep driving up until the road gets flat and you cross a cattle guard - there is singletrack to the left of the fence/cattle guard - there are two branches - you take the left-hand that follows the barb-wire fence for a bit - this adds some miles of very tasty singletrack

Anyone care to elaborate on these directions? Like, how many miles past the normal trailhead does the upper trail start? We were hoping to avoid a shuttle...how many miles and how much climbing would that be?

Thanks!

bock

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    it is above the normal porc trailhead. just kidding.

talk to the guys at chili pepper bike shop. there are a number of "upper porc" trails that I have heard of and ridden some. Some of them are more DH oriented, some are XC singletrack types. The guys at the shop would be the best bet. I think that it is Chili Pepper; it is the one right at the N end of town with the Turner DHR hanging off the roof.

Good luck and post how you liked the trail when you get back.

Ridin in UT
    Bock - Yes that section of Porc rim singletrack is a hoot, and I think the section you're reffering to is actually known as Lower P.R. singletrack... I've heard there is another section yet above this one(Upper Porc singletrack), and the shuttle driver told me you can actually start up in the LaSals for that one..

So, to get to the "lower Porc Rim singletrack", stay straight at the normal parking area for P.Rim. either ride or drive about 4 miles to the above mentioned cattle guard. The road is a lot like the one leading to the parking area, except it is steeper in some sections and a little rougher. You start the trail just before the cattle guard, following the fence for a ways and then the trail is easy to follow. You'll find some great twisty singletrack, and from memory is about 2/3 downhill and 1/3 climbing back up out of ravines. It is very fun though and brings you down to the first big rest stop/overlook where everyone congregates on the regular P.R. trail.

have fun and let us know if you found it.

Jan 2004

Found it!

Thanks, we didn't have any trouble finding both the LPS and UPS (Lower and Upper Porcupine Singletrack) trailheads. The hard part was getting there, as we opted to pedal the whole loop. Lots of climbing, and lots of miles, but it is an amazing ride!

I posted some more info and a short trip report here. I made a map to help clear things up for others...see below.

bock

Feb 2004
    The trail you are reffering to is actually Kokopellie trail. It is a brand new section of trail that links into Porcupine rim trail. We just road it on Friday and it was the best part of the ride. This section is not on any of the trail maps yet. It is an official trail but all the paperwork has not been updated with the park service to get it on the map. You can take the shuttle to the start of this and it links into Porcupine at the top of the climp at porcupine. It is about 1hr of downhill singletrack, this was by far the best part of the Porcupine ride.

El Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog6
    The trail you are reffering to is actually Kokopellie trail. It is a brand new section of trail that links into Porcupine rim trail. We just road it on Friday and it was the best part of the ride. This section is not on any of the trail maps yet. It is an official trail but all the paperwork has not been updated with the park service to get it on the map. You can take the shuttle to the start of this and it links into Porcupine at the top of the climp at porcupine. It is about 1hr of downhill singletrack, this was by far the best part of the Porcupine ride.
    I think that Kokopeli section has been around for a while. At least 1-2yrs. That's when I was invited to do a shuttle ride that started at the base of the LaSalles. It kinda went into a cow path that turns into singletrack and eventually skirting along the edge of the canyon for a while. Then, it pulls away for a while and puts you on that cool "walk your bike/ride if you can" section that eventually brings you back to the edge and hooks in with the usual lunch spot overlooking Castle Valley before the final ripping descent.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    Here's a map that was put up on another post about this. I rode this trail a week ago and it was fantastic,,,better than the "original" porcupine section. This trail is similar to the slickrock trails in St. George, singletrack with no jeep road. The section of the Kokopelli trail at the lower right corner of the map intersects the paved La Sal mountain loop road(not shown). That's where the shuttle guys drop you off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh dont start the trail at 5pm, unless you are goooodly.

Members who have read this thread: 0