Where to stash water...TWE- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Where to stash water...TWE

We will be in Moab the 29th-whatever and will be staying at the cabin at Warner Lake. We are going to be doing TWE. We may or may not go over Burros Pass...depends on weather conditions and the amount of beer consumed the night before.

I have a real reservation about water on this ride. My question is where do you locals stash water for pick up on the way down? Or do you? We'll all have 3L bladders but it's gonna get hot as we descend, and the last thing I need is to reach Porc Rim and be low on water. I'm pretty sure I can go through that much water just doing Porcupine, on a hot day at least.

Are there any water sources to filter or treat on the way down? Do we simply have to carry all that we might need?

Thanks in advance.

-Jamie

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You might be alright with 3 liters, especially if you don't do Burro Pass. I managed with a 3L bladder a couple weeks ago. We started early up in the mountains where it was still cool and I saved most of my water for when we hit UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. It was 95-100 when we finished and I had extra water waiting at the bottom.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    You might be alright with 3 liters, especially if you don't do Burro Pass. I managed with a 3L bladder a couple weeks ago. We started early up in the mountains where it was still cool and I saved most of my water for when we hit UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. It was 95-100 when we finished and I had extra water waiting at the bottom.

That's good to know, thanks.

I'm acclimated quite well to the heat as I ride in Phoenix but still. 30 miles, starting at high altitude and ending up in the desert for a long way has me thinking. And being acclimated to the heat means I can drink A LOT of water while riding (as I have to). At least I know it can be done

mtbr member
    Drink a full water bottle the night before (yes you will have to get up to pee), then drink two in the am before the ride. I doubt you will need 3 liters if you start hydrated. A lot comes down to how long you are out there. With a fast group if I hydrate well I only need about 1 liter for a 30 mile UT ride. With a slow group and unhydrated I might drain a 3 liter.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I doubt you will need 3 liters if you start hydrated. .
    Didn't you read the part about all the beer that may be consumed the night before?

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Sounds like 3L might be plenty.

However, the question still remains. Is there any water available on the ride down?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=eatdrinkride

However, the question still remains. Is there any water available on the ride down?[/QUOTE]

w/ a filter ya got Warner Lake
    breezy shade

EDR
    w/ a filter ya got Warner Lake
    Ya, but were camping there. Water up high is not the issue, it's hours later and towards the desert I'm thinking about. It would be perfect if someone would dig a well right before descending Porcupine Rim! Heck, if someone put a Burger King up there the fire marshal would have to kick people out

Sounds like no obvious water is to be found and maybe I'm over-thinking it a bit. I guess everyone just makes do with what they can carry. Not have ridden TWE to date, I was just trying to plan ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ya, but were camping there. Water up high is not the issue, it's hours later and towards the desert I'm thinking about. It would be perfect if someone would dig a well right before descending Porcupine Rim! Heck, if someone put a Burger King up there the fire marshal would have to kick people out

Sounds like no obvious water is to be found and maybe I'm over-thinking it a bit. I guess everyone just makes do with what they can carry. Not have ridden TWE to date, I was just trying to plan ahead.

that's why i was hesitant to post @ all. water where ya need it just ain't gonna be found as you already know. here's something else you already know. since you are camping up there, you could ride out the day before & stash water @ the end of LPS using the first 3 mi. of the Porcupine climb up from Sandflats Rd. are you that desparate?
    breezy shade

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Drink a full water bottle the night before (yes you will have to get up to pee), then drink two in the am before the ride. I doubt you will need 3 liters if you start hydrated. A lot comes down to how long you are out there. With a fast group if I hydrate well I only need about 1 liter for a 30 mile UT ride. With a slow group and unhydrated I might drain a 3 liter.
    All sound advice....a lot depends on your group. The last time I did TWE (in Oct. no less I ran out and almost got heat exhaustion with 3L. However, I was with a group that HAD TO stop every 2 miles for a "safety break" and had one guy who got enough flats to keep kenda in business for at least 10 years. So yeah a lot depends on your group and how big of a $hit show it is. I'm all for enjoying the ride, but at a certain point it just gets rediculous.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    that's why i was hesitant to post @ all. water where ya need it just ain't gonna be found as you already know. here's something else you already know. since you are camping up there, you could ride out the day before & stash water @ the end of LPS using the first 3 mi. of the Porcupine climb up from Sandflats Rd. are you that desparate?
    It's easy to get out to the viewpoint intersection of UPS and "MPS" from the road. You could drop a 5 gallon jug there the day before and refill during your ride. Makes a good lunch spot as well. It's just past the cattleguard coming up from town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to stash water...TWE-screen-shot-2010-08-16-11.18.55-am.jpg  

Last edited by JMH; 08-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    All sound advice....a lot depends on your group. The last time I did TWE (in Oct. no less I ran out and almost got heat exhaustion with 3L. However, I was with a group that HAD TO stop every 2 miles for a "safety break" and had one guy who got enough flats to keep kenda in business for at least 10 years. So yeah a lot depends on your group and how big of a $hit show it is. I'm all for enjoying the ride, but at a certain point it just gets rediculous.
    Is this the Roctobro ride? If it's a complete, utter circus I may just have to forge ahead and do the "no stopping" version by myself.

JMH

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Is this the Roctobro ride? If it's a complete, utter circus I may just have to forge ahead and do the "no stopping" version by myself.

JMH
    That will make at least two of us...it was pretty frustrating actually. The whole ride was a joke. First couple of flats are expected, but after 4 it gets a little rediculous and it might be time to consider ditching the xc small block eights and running some beef. Similarly, a few safety breaks is fine, but if you have to stop to discuss "safety" every other mile you might have a problem.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sounds like you two need to borrow my Dune martian landscape suit for your Rocktobro group carnival ride (I've heard the stories from Rocktobro rides of years past). Then it won't matter how much water you carry or stash so long as you have an active bladder. Just remind me to clean it before loaning it to you.

Hand over your bladder water and spices and no one gets hurt and no one breaks into an '80's hit song.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider

Captain Picard was in Dune?

What is it with that guy? Dune must be 25 years old and he looks exactly the same in every picture I've ever seen of him, from any decade. Dude is spooky.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Captain Picard was in Dune?

What is it with that guy? Dune must be 25 years old and he looks exactly the same in every picture I've ever seen of him, from any decade. Dude is spooky.
    Hmmm...yeah, you're right. Never noticed that. Seems he's been pigeonholed to Sci Fi flicks. I'm planning on NetFlixing the entire Planet of the Apes series, I'll look for him in those films.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I did TWE from the other side of Burro in late September a few years ago. I had a full bladder and three extra water bottles. It was about 99 down in town.

I had to bail from LPS to Salt Flats (shoulder) so I announced it to the two riders who had hung back to check on me. Turns out the guy was out and he hadn't even gotten to the overlook yet. His girlfriend just had a bit in her Camel Back.

I emptied the three bottles I hadn't touched yet into his Camel Back and headed down the road to town. Then drove back to the underpass at 128 and left an unopened gallon with one of their names on it, hoping nobody got to it before they got down. Turns out all in my riding party had hooked up again and arrived down at the bottom all out of water.

And faced with that 4 mile ride back to town. That gallon I left sure looked good, they tell me. If you park a vehicle at the lot next to the underpass you at least can access a beer or two as soon as you get down.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

JMH
    It wasn't that bad, Mr. W. is overreacting a bit. Yes, we had many flats, I think 6 total, one guy had 4 himself, $hit happens when doing a 30+ mile ride wtih a group of 7. We also had a rider with the flu struggling a bit we had to wait on. Mr. W. just didn't manage his water and got a bit grumpy and impatient. Safety breaks were not the main delay, they didn't help, but they were mainly overlapping with flat repairs, lunch and waiting on flu-rider Cornland.

I brought a full 3L bladder and one of the small gatorades in my pack, drank water before and still had about 1/2 L left at the end. The gatorade with lunch at the overlook was key. Something I'll do every time on that ride.

BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    slcrmr is such an effing doooosh

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer
    slcrmr is such an effing doooosh

This is AWESOME! I feel right at home here. You guys must view the AZ forum a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0